The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

What part of his statement is "factually incorrect"? He never claimed that only Latin America spoke Spanish and Portuguese. He said:

most of the spanish, or porotguese speaking people originate from [south american]

Since well over 200 million of the 260 million Portuguese speakers come from Brazil, that statement seems abundantly accurate. I didn't look up the statistics for Spanish, though I would imagine they are similar. The per capita income statement is easily fact-checked as well.

Whether those are valid statistics to base translation choice around is an entirely debatable issue.

Is there an easy way to check which locations were stated on the profile in this forum (apart from checking each of the 4000 - 5000 profiles by hand)? This would give a good insight into where people come from. Although I do not know if this would be seen as a "Big Data" thing to which some people might object. Just a suggestion to get mor reliable data.

Since well over 200 million of the 260 million Portuguese speakers come from Brazil, that statement seems abundantly accurate. I didn't look up the statistics for Spanish, though I would imagine they are similar. The per capita income statement is easily fact-checked as well.

I didn't think the population of South America would be that large, so I stand corrected -

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_Spanish_is_an_official_language

Achievements (some could be trigged from the stats screen at end of a completed mission)

Pincushion - some archer shot you more than once.

Ghost - You weren't seen, or heard, in one mission.

Ghosted - You weren't seen, or heard, in 10 missions. (not the same mission)

Phantom - You weren't seen, or heard, in 50 missions.

Stoned - A guard hit you with a stone that he threw at you.

Glassed - A guard hit you with a bottle that he threw at you. (be bad if someone spelt threw as trough, as a trough is something farm animal drink water from.)

Crated - You knocked out a guard with a crate.

Glassed - A guard hit you with a bottle that he threw at you. (be bad if someone spelt threw as trough, as a trough is something farm animal drink water from.)

Guards don't throw bottles anymore do they? I was going to implement random object-throwing at one point, but never got around to it.

Achievements (some could be trigged from the stats screen at end of a completed mission)

Pincushion - some archer shot you more than once.

Ghost - You weren't seen, or heard, in one mission.

Ghosted - You weren't seen, or heard, in 10 missions. (not the same mission)

Phantom - You weren't seen, or heard, in 50 missions.

Stoned - A guard hit you with a stone that he threw at you.

Crated - You knocked out a guard with a crate.

Climber - you've used a ladder

First income - you've frobbed loot

First Blood - you've killed one guard

Master of Disaster- you've alerted 10 guards to alert state 5

fat asshole - eat at least 50 pieces of food

alcoholic - drink 100 health potions

:D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

On the localization issue, this might actually be a teaching moment about our fan-driven ethos. If you want to see the game localized to your language, -you- can help us by volunteering to help with the work. We depend on the contributions of fans like you. It's our game to develop ourselves, we the fans, not their's to feed to us. That kind of messaging. Maybe worded better.

Re: bottles and rocks.

I recall jumping irl when a bottle surprisingly smashed on the wall near me. Great moment I still recall. I think it doesn't make sense for them to throw bottles every time, but every once in a while, say somewhere between 1-in-50 to 1-in-100 chance might be good.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What's more important than Localization is to make sure that those who visit the page also endorse it and make sure they vote in their short attention span which probably last less than a minute. TDM goal should be top 25 or even less and it's possible since it has been running in Prestige alone and reached 50. So now's the time to push for the top! How many unique visits translated into votes?

some suggestions:

-Add those flashy testimonials to the description text with logo pics (If the system allows it) To Showcase the Prestige levels. ex. That PC gamer quote, I'm sure TDM have more quotes from other known online magazines or something.

-Respect the clients. Even the trolls. Be objective about the questions and answer the topic at hand without derailing unless you want to cause controversy for exposure and visits at the cost of loosing a bit of high prestige. The trolls want fight and drama.

-Add a pic of the Ship in one of the mission. For variety reasons.

-Don't underestimate markets. Latinos alone could add thousands of visits and fans. Colonize more markets. And don't underestimate Artists or possible mission creators. Offer help and motivation. I work in advertising and I learned my lesson well not to underestimate a creative or artist because or their appearance or crazy antics unorganized methods etc.

-Be ambitious! TDM already made the first step into the scrutiny of Steam Highway. You might as well reclaim victory and show the clients the High Prestige of TDM. What's the worst that could happen? End up behind a Truck Driving Game (MODDBMOTY incident) or a Poker Game? :D

-Fire Bikerdude. He ruined Hillary's campaign and now he's doing the same here. :laugh: Joking! Thanks for the initiative Bikerdude. ^_^

Edited by Taquito

Not that i want to make a bigger deal out of it than it is, but, since when is something offensive, when it is "uncalled for"? Or was my comment offensive out of another reason? I don't see it. Maybe it is already offensive these days, when you point out a country's per capita income. :wacko:

I don't think i'd find it offensive if someone pointed out that Denmark's, or Switzerland's per capita income is higher than Germany's. It's a fact, so why would i feel insulted, or less worth?

My language is not English so some error in the message could happen but If i have to explain to you why it is offensive then that is a problem in it self, this is a free game open to everyone on this earth, coming with monetary reasons for why a particular language or population should be ignored is wrong, if you can't see why, i and others find that offensive then lets just agree that we disagree and continue with our lives i don't want to start a flame war here.

What part of his statement is "factually incorrect"? He never claimed that only Latin America spoke Spanish and Portuguese. He said:
Whether those are valid statistics to base translation choice around is an entirely debatable issue.

You are right he didn't said that Spanish and Portuguese only came from South America and i apologize to chakkman for my reaction, it was wrong, mea culpa, but even so i still think his comment is irrelevant, with all respect, for a free game even if true.

Edited by HMart

This re-opens the Pandora's Box of "unforseen consequences" (yes, like HL Resonance Cascade :D )

Take for example TDM: being a free game (not a mod), some mappers using (in a future) the Steam Workshop service to publish their FMs.....can ask for money?

It's kinda troubling for the main project image.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

That indeed opens a can of worms, i'm totally torn on this, i really think some do deserve compensation and it would be a tremendous incentive for modders, but i also think that this is a double edge sword, i'm afraid the day mods transform into DLC's, in a sense, games like TDM will never happen, mods based or inspired on existing comercial IP's, will get the ax more than ever, some profecional game devs already see modders as competition, imagine if money was included in the mix, it will be very hard to find anyone willing to spend time on a free mod, and some modders i speculate, will transform into business and stop making really unique stuff to only bet on "what sells", exactly how professional teams work, then what's the diference?

But i do hope some middle ground is found so everyone gains with this.

Edited by HMart

@ HMart: I never said that a particular language, or population "should be ignored". You're really overreacting, like the other guy. Last comment from me on that. Slowly getting a tad ridiculous.

@ the achievements, i find stumpy's suggestion pretty good, but i'm sure some more good ones will pop up, if the team decided about whether to implement them or not. As mentioned, i'm sure it's a major point of motivation for some, so it'd be really great to have it, and, i also think there's a lot of potential in The Dark Mod to create some motivating, and interesting achievements.

@ HMart: I never said that a particular language, or population "should be ignored". You're really overreacting, like the other guy. Last comment from me on that. Slowly getting a tad ridiculous.

@ the achievements, i find stumpy's suggestion pretty good, but i'm sure some more good ones will pop up, if the team decided about whether to implement them or not. As mentioned, i'm sure it's a major point of motivation for some, so it'd be really great to have it, and, i also think there's a lot of potential in The Dark Mod to create some motivating, and interesting achievements.

To the first response. I thought we were just adding in different languages as an additional plus right? Like, if we had the opportunity and a willing user to help out but I think that goes in stride with the rest of the mod. That being we're really only able to add things where we have viable opportunity. Maybe I'm just coming in late for the debate and not getting the whole picture but we're not a major studio; we just kinda take those options when they present themselves.

For achievements I'm really curious how that would work. I honestly feel like some should be attached to well supported FMs/campaigns over neutral ones that trigger from any mission. Mainly because some achievements are pretty specific whereas others are not. That also begs the question of how you would implement that to the Moddb version. Unless support is being discontinued from moddb, you're making client changes that can only affect steam versions.

The dilemma as I see it is that TDM is taking a transition and different features (and different members) are on the fence over the new changes. Things like making an official TDM game (payed for as an actual studio) simply cannot be done on a mod this old. The FMs and sorting out royalties would be absurd and it's just a bad practice since it's pretty much shouting, "cashgrab!" to any onlookers following the mod. To be fair I think donations could work with the new steam based version, if it was dealt per FM (in the downloader options).

Say an author opts in for donations, we'd have details setup for them that would be implemented as another button element for the mission screen. This is the only way I could see that working. Because older FM authors (and people that aren't even here anymore) still are unaffected and remain as they were. Whilst we grant another option to support more content moving forward. It's not imposing on the consumer either because it's purely optional too. Kinda a way for people to give a little love to a game we've all poured our heart and soul into. Just ideas but I think it has some leeway to supply some greater longevity in content for the future.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything