The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

Nice work, Goldwell and Nocturne :) I'm curious what the "2009" date represents? Is that when it was first released to the general public, or? The wording is a little vague in the video, kind've misleading to me. I thought it was referring to when work actually first began on the mod. And production began back in about the 2004 timeframe; so, when I first heard the 2009 date I was thinking to myself, "Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right..." -- and had to look up the original start year..

Maybe my interpretation of hearing the 2009 info is different than a casual non-team member observer would interpret it since I was involved for a while early on.

Here's the quote from the video:

Probably no need to update this video... but if a future video were to come out down the line, I might suggest clarifying a tad bit more on what that 2009 date represents :D Really is just a matter of adding/changing a simple word or two

Thank you! (btw Nocturne is the name of the song in the video, not a person :P)

I put the 2009 date there because when you google The Dark Mod it shows that as the initial release date it started. So I figured that's when it started, I didn't know it started back in 2004 but wow that is even more impressive! I suppose to the general public they might hear the 2009 development, see the google related info and leave at it that, probably only people who were here for the 2004 start would take note of that. So for that mistake I apologise and even though I don't have time to update the video, should a second trailer be created down the line I will be sure to list 2004 as the beginning development date!

Also unrelated to your comment but I see a lot of people crediting/praising me as the voice actor, as much as I would like to take that it was AndrosTheOxen who provided his vocal talent for the trailer. If you get a chance please check out his homepage, he is a really talented guy with an amazing voice! http://www.everybodyandme.com/

Also unrelated to your comment but I see a lot of people crediting/praising me as the voice actor, as much as I would like to take that it was AndrosTheOxen who provided his vocal talent for the trailer. If you get a chance please check out his homepage, he is a really talented guy with an amazing voice! http://www.everybodyandme.com/

Might be worth putting that in the youtube comments if you haven't done so already.

Might be worth putting that in the youtube comments if you haven't done so already.

He has been in there since the trailer was live, the problem is that 1) hardly anyone reads the description and 2) there is only enough room for the first two lines (to be displayed without having to click the expand button). The first two lines sort of need to be there as well because the first one is a link to the TDM homepage and the second line is a link to the greenlight page.

Edited by Goldwell

Honestly people may be turned off by the 2004 date thinking it'll look dated, when our engine has some post 2009 tech to bring it up to date. So it's not bad the way it is now, in terms of emphasis.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Honestly people may be turned off by the 2004 date thinking it'll look dated, when our engine has some post 2009 tech to bring it up to date. So it's not bad the way it is now, in terms of emphasis.

Yep... including a 64bit engine, so it can run on x64 machines without nowadays outdated dependency libraries :ph34r:

*runs away*

Though honestly, it is true the engine is pretty good: First of all idTech 4 was super modern for its day to the point where even today it has great graphics, and it's also received updates from the TDM developers. I do still think it's a department that more attention could go to however, but that's just me... I understand TDM might not have a team of engine developers like that behind Darkplaces / Daemon / other modern engines modified from idTech <= 3.

Yes, this.

Also, end users don't usually refer to when development started. The Star Wars franchise "began" in 1977, even though there were probably a few years of production before that.

I think The Dark Mod won't have any problems getting past GL before SD is introduced. If you're not aware what kind of "games" is being greenlit these days, take a look at this:

https://youtu.be/uTfxrH9R1yc?t=1m10s

Edited by Judith

Oh wow. I mean, I have seen a couple of half-cooked or not-very-cerative games on GL myself, but I did not think, that it was really such a high number of utter crap that is submitted. I don't really want to compare TDM to any of the games shown in the video, as it is a completely different league. On the other hand, I should not be surprised. If you can make a game in as short a time as possible and then get it greenlit, you can make some money without too much effort. At least this seems to be the goal of many people on GL.

It would actually be easier for us to get TDM on Steam after GL goes away. It might be more expensive and require some core members to give Steam their contact info, but it would allow us to bypass the filth that's on there now.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Huh. I heard that announcement yesterday, and thought it's just Steam's way of saying "hey... how can we ruin a good feature and make more money in the process"? I was not aware so much spam was actually being put on there however... I guess it makes some sense. Though seriously, I don't understand why they can't just let people upload whatever games they want (long as they're not copyright infringement and are *spck* socially acceptable *spck*) like Youtube lets anyone upload whatever they want regardless of quality.

Well youtube is a free service that runs no Ads. They need newer content just for the clicks.

Steam doesn't work anything like that. There needs to be some quality control as pointed out in that video, just have 5 people download and play these games, and if they aren't up to some minimum quality (IE they run and work), then they should be taken down.

There's so much garbage on there it's not even funny.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well youtube is a free service that runs no Ads. They need newer content just for the clicks.

Steam doesn't work anything like that. There needs to be some quality control as pointed out in that video, just have 5 people download and play these games, and if they aren't up to some minimum quality (IE they run and work), then they should be taken down.

There's so much garbage on there it's not even funny.

That makes sense. That is if we consider that bad games take their share of drive space to host, so if no one buys them that's a loss. Then again, there are services that offer many GB of hosting for free... so if a game isn't bigger than say 1GB, they could just not care about its quality. Making people pay for something that was previously free... that's generally speaking one of the worst things a service can do.

I think the main problem is that, unless you get a key for shitty game from a publisher or developer himself, you have to buy it to post a review and warn others. That's a win-win situation for both shitty developers and Steam getting their cut. Even Sterling has to buy those games (with his Patreon money, I suppose) to make his videos. And now Playstation Store wants their slice of the cake with games like Life of Black Tiger or Firefighters – The Simulation released on their platform.

I guess Valve waited with this for so long, because it generated substantial amount of profit. So now they'll be charging more, while using the data from discovery queues, instead of hiring real people to review those games. Brilliant.

Even without greenlight lots of crap or non working games get on Steam bypassing GL.

Nothing shameful in GL. The real hurdle will be the communication on how TDM will be featured on Steam after GL.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

That's the way the logo has been since the beginning. I just like to pretend there is some hidden meaning to it.

That's the way the logo has been since the beginning. I just like to pretend there is some hidden meaning to it.

Yeah, I know. Even knowing that, it still screams at me every time I see it. It's like seeing someone misuse their and they're, or two, too, and to. I can't help it. :wacko:

Wow shows how observant I am, I never noticed the clock was off... Now I can't stop staring at it!

Damnit you guys!

I don't get what's wrong with the hands. The hour hand is a little big, but the minute hand is still longer like normal.

The big hand isn't far enough along for where the small hand is.