Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

Ok so the polls are closed now and here are the results:

ZZBw1si.png

hopSs8J.png

cAyyvuX.png

RS4ET43.png

5DMM4IB.png

So with the community voted feedback, as well as the other comments people have made I will be working on the next version of the trailer tonight.

Unfortunately my schedule is quite hectic at the moment so unless there are technical issues with the video, this next cut will have to be the final one I can provide.

No reason why making money from TDM by any FM author would be allowed by the team. No difference with making premium FM's here.

TDM is free. Period. Only games that were intended available for money can ask for money on some workshop content.

There is no reason to change things now. If future steam policy will be too liberal - those FM's who break the freeware philosophy will be deleted manually or with inquiring Steam support.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I was just wondering whether somebody posted about this on ttlg. When checking it out, I noticed a thread by nbohr, but apparently that thread is listed in multiple subforums, i.e., Thief series general discussion, Thief fan missions and General gaming. Why is that?

By the way, I also just postet about this on the german ttlg.de to get some more people to vote.

Let's the donations system be, but a "price" is not a good thing when there's no guarantee of a Quality Assurance control system.....

I hate to be that guy, but Valve doesn't want this system to be pay what you want or donation based.

They want another marketplace to emerge where they can take a percent of the profit and increase their profits another half a digit. That's all they do anymore, it isn't as though they're making games.

No reason why making money from TDM by any FM author would be allowed by the team. No difference with making premium FM's here.

TDM is free. Period. Only games that were intended available for money can ask for money on some workshop content.

There is no reason to change things now. If future steam policy will be too liberal - those FM's who break the freeware philosophy will be deleted manually or with inquiring Steam support.

The adherence to this philosophy is why I have faith in this move.

Dark Mod being anything less or more than absolutely free and open is a major mistake on a number of levels for a variety of reasons.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Actually, if someone is trying to get into industry and makes his missions with 99% custom high-quality content, I wouldn't mind if he or she got a Patreon support. Making FMs for a living probably isn't the best idea. Maybe as a temporary measure, so you can make something decent within few months, not years. Still, having Steam as a middleman is a big no. I'd rather let people decide whether it's worth it to invest in certain level of quality.

The whole inlcuding any way of making money from TDM and/or FMs was already discussed at length and the devs have been very adamant (very rightly so in my opinion) that neither donations nor patreons nor anything else involving money will be tolerated for TDM. I cannot imagine that this opinion will change any time soon...

I notice that the intro text doesn't mention that we were listed as #2 on PC Gamer's The 50 Best Free PC games list last summer. That should be mentioned in the first paragraph. Talking about winning "best mod" just reinforces the confusion over whether we're still a mod or not-- not to mention that talking about accolades from 4 years ago makes us look out of date.

This endeavor wasn't supposed to be just about getting approved though. This is supposed to be about advertising TDM to new audiences and letting people know what a high quality project it is. That requires putting our best, most professional face forward, and that is not what has happened.

Give Goldwell the rights to manage the steam page. That should have been the strategy from the get go, the best conceptual or lead designer should be the front man, with a couple of dedicated community managers. Preferably people with experience with that, not just on thief sites but in general.

I second the notion on accepting donations but entirely for server costs.

I am unsure of how usable this is due to music (I know for a fact I cannot make money off of it), but it may or may not be what is needed, or a good model for what we could be doing.

Thats fu#$ing badass. +1, people like stuff like that, although thats not the best first impression because we are about stealth. But definitely a portion of a streamlined trailer should be showcasing badassery. Goldwell's first cut is really good from a technical, informational and faithfulness standpoint.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

Because older FM authors (and people that aren't even here anymore) still are unaffected and remain as they were. Whilst we grant another option to support more content moving forward.

This can't be said often enough, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg

When people say they want to donate to us to show their appreciation, I think the best response we've always given is ok, but donate your time, not your money.

Make an FM, an asset, fan art, a playthru video, an FM review... Anybody can contribute something. That's how you show us real appreciation because those are the things we really need.

Edit. In fact, we really ought to preemptively state that in our introduction text so people know not to ask and we can just calmly point to it like a kind of policy if people get pushy about it, which for some reason seems to happen a lot.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

When people say they want to donate to us to show their appreciation, I think the best response we've always given is ok, but donate your time, not your money.

Make an FM, an asset, fan art, a playthru video, an FM review... Anybody can contribute something. That's how you show us real appreciation because those are the things we really need.

Edit. In fact, we really ought to preemptively state that in our introduction text so people know not to ask and we can just calmly point to it like a kind of policy if people get pushy about it, which for some reason seems to happen a lot.

I think the goal of donations is a bit different.

Sure, some people want to be mappers, modelers, coders. But there are many, many more who just want to be the audience. They don't have the skills and often they don't want to be creative contributors. They want to donate, so you can have more time to do what you're good at instead. Naturally, this is a huge commitment and pressure, you have to think it over very carefully and be up to the task.

I'm late to the party but the trailer should have a border around the text of the title of the game an outline or something to make it stand out it is just a plain font that is slightly larger than the for broken glass Studios. Also one thing that throws me off is it says see you in the shadows but the last picture is in sunlight maybe make the last picture something more dark it was very nice when the candle went out and the screen went black. Maybe it is possible to take the in-game footage at the end of the video and intersperse it or just add a final in game visual of something dark at the end of the video instead of sunlight. I do like your choice of missions to Showcase different environments that the dark mod is capable of creating. Good work!

Without further ado, The Dark Mod trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brJqHnXmpgE

I will have the translations added as soon as I hear back from the translator volunteers.

Cooler than a block of ice! :ph34r:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Without further ado, The Dark Mod trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brJqHnXmpgE

I will have the translations added as soon as I hear back from the translator volunteers.

Incredible job, Goldwell. I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to Nocturne.

I'll make a big thread about the 2.05 update, the Greenlight news, and the trailer on Neogaf when the release is live.

Incredible job, Goldwell. I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to Nocturne.

Nocturne is something really special. It's SO fitting (and the organ part!)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.