The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Updater stuck in loop

skacky

Hey, I'm trying to update to 2.05 but the updater is stuck in a loop. It will check my local 2.04 files and then download tdm_update_win.zip (1.5mb). However, when I click Restart, it starts the process all over again.

I've tried renaming the folder to no effect. The game is not installed in Program Files or any secure folder. The updater worked fine when I updated to 2.04 when it was released (on the same machine).

I have the updater update active and I also had to restart three or four times (I did not pay too much attention, but I think the messages I got were different each time, so I thought that this is just part of the process, like restarting TDM after installing a new mission).

Dont we want ti to update itself though..?

Once. The infinite loop makes it keep updating itself over and over and it never moves on to downloading the actual mod.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It loops for me too! I think it did when I updated to 2.04 as well.

This should be probably fixed ASAP, because potential new players, who are not that tech-savvy, might simply give up when the updater does not work out of the box. Looks bad if the default install doesn't work, but one needs to figure out to put a mark in a tab in some advanced menu. :mellow:

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

There seems to be a logic problem extracting the updater:

Checking filesize of downloaded file, expecting 1570489
Checking download for 'is-a-zipfile'.
Checking CRC of downloaded file, expecting acca1045
CRC calculated for zip file D:\Games\doom3test\darkmod\__tdm_update_win.zip = acca1045
Downloaded file passed the integrity checks.
Moved D:\Games\doom3test\darkmod\__tdm_update_win.zip to D:\Games\doom3test\darkmod\tdm_update_win.zip
Extracting files from D:\Games\doom3test\darkmod\tdm_update_win.zip
Ignoring file: tdm_update.exe
Found 0 files to extract.
Preparing TDM update batch file in D:\Games\doom3test\darkmod\tdm_update_updater.cmd

It's never extracting the tdm_update.exe.

edit: Sorry, scratch that. It's extracted but it fails to activate the new version.

Edited by greebo

I wonder if Windows is removing the executable on extract for security purposes?

Are we using our our zip library for this part of the process or deferring to Windows zip support?

It's a timing issue, the two second pause appears to be too short for the tdm_update process to terminate, so the .exe file is still in use. Raising the limit to 5 seconds breaks the loop.

New players won't experience this, since they are downloading the current tdm_update directly, but existing players might run into this.

I don't recall running into this problem before, but then again I haven't run tdm_update since 2013.

For those having problems here's a workaround.

The updater downloads the new version as "_tdm_update.exe" (on Windows), and then apparently fails to copy this over the old file, then deletes the temporary file.

So what I did was copy the new file out of the folder while installer was running, let the update fail, and then overwrite the "tmd_update.exe" with the (renamed) "_tmd_update.exe".

Not pretty but works...

Edited by Shadrach

• 2 weeks later...

A possible related problem: I'm at the end of the whole updating process.

"Performing cleanup setups.". etc.

More in the following picture:

post-35080-0-47010000-1488463697_thumb.png

"Your TDM installation is up to date."

But the green "working on it" bar still isn't at the end. And I already have a "Show Log" and "Close" button available, not to mention the size (388.6 MB) fitting the update size.

Is something wrong ? Should I run the updater again ? Besides this one issue, everything ran absolutely fine.

Probably just the size of the files that need to be checked for bad date encoding. Run it once more and if it does the same thing, I will suggest that you are done.

Probably just the size of the files that need to be checked for bad date encoding. Run it once more and if it does the same thing, I will suggest that you are done.

Sound advice. I'll run it once more to check it. Be right back.

Just checked it. Everything went by fast, finished itself normally, things seem to be fully updated and fine. :) Off to test 2.05...

• Like 2