The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.05 official introductory missions

Springheel

Some people like ambient music, some don't.

The inn has sbutle ambient music, the streets don't, because they have a lot of ambient noise already.

In many games it isn't unobtrusive and unfortunately darkmod doesn't have a specific ambient music volune control

If anything TDM underuses it in too many FM's. It's especially underlined in early ones such as The Parcel.

I'm certain in the long run that the default introduction mission should make use of all tools available to increase immersion. It should compensate for the lack of EAX sound design wise.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Some people like ambient music, some don't.

The inn has sbutle ambient music, the streets don't, because they have a lot of ambient noise already.

A very valid point as well. The issue is not to underestimate it, such as the case with Mount & Blade would be. Makes the game seem more like a mod and less confident. I'm probably very subjective on this, but I felt it was always important not to have prolongued silences as Half Life liked to get the player into (unless there's a good reason).

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

100% behind that. Simply well balanced music does the job.

As the first mission seeks to take example from Thief Deadly Shadows, there's that naturally for inspiration. It wasn't loud or obnoxious. It was minimalistic and casual for a casual night:

The TDS soundtrack is for me the best of all Thief parts. I can only double to take that as inspiration.

BTW, the city parts had ambient parts too, as far as i remember? Here's a vid of the whole soundtrack, and the different city quarters have tracks too:

The TDS soundtrack is for me the best of all Thief parts. I can only double to take that as inspiration.

BTW, the city parts had ambient parts too, as far as i remember? Here's a vid of the whole soundtrack, and the different city quarters have tracks too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sv9mnYDwuQ

Yep, the TaffersInn channel on YouTube has them all in a convenient playlist. The video I sent is also part of that.

badge?user=andarson

Ambient volume doesn't just affect music but on the mission it also removes the other ambient sounds such as the dog etc. in the street

I think it's logical. All are part of ambient sounds. I.e. Not relating to the Npc's, voices, dialogues, player monologue.

badge?user=andarson

That might be useful actually. Does it continue to happen if you reload the save?

Ok, I found something.

In the save game the book is unfrobabble when the desk is open. When you close the desk, you can frob the book through the side of the desk. This tells me that it is a problem with the frob-block getting out of sync with the desk door. Why that is happening I don't know.

Goldwell reported this happening in one of his missions in 2.04--two objects behind a grate became unfrobabble but only randomly.

• Like 1

I found the ambient sounds and music to be an excellent balance in this mission myself. Out on the streets the sounds of the crows, dogs barking, pipes pumping water through them and the idle banter between AI's really helps to set the mood. Inside the tavern there is a good balance of ambient music too. It's not too overpowering just a nice subtle track to help fill in the mood and keep the dead silence to a minimum.

Also I absolutely love that T:DS ambient for the Blue Heron Inn, I wish we could use the thief soundtracks in TDM.

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 3

how the tweaked light gem affects AIs seeing the player up close in complete shadow?

On expert difficulty the AI can see better.

What tweaks are you referring to?

I noticed that AIs can see you in complete darkness when they're standing really close to you. In A New Job, I tried to hide in the kitchen corner, but the maid comes over there and stays for a while, in which time she notices me and begins investigating. Also in Tears of Saint Lucia, when I get into a position to wait for a guard to come close to me, they comment that they see something as they come close. I believe it has to do with the coding changes to the light gem in 2.05.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

I noticed that AIs can see you in complete darkness when they're standing really close to you. In A New Job, I tried to hide in the kitchen corner, but the maid comes over there and stays for a while, in which time she notices me and begins investigating. Also in Tears of Saint Lucia, when I get into a position to wait for a guard to come close to me, they comment that they see something as they come close. I believe it has to do with the coding changes to the light gem in 2.05.

Maybe there were changes made to the ambient lighting, or as spring mentioned difficulty levels affect the sight on expert difficulty. You can also set AI hearing and vision to a more classic thief like level in the main menu.

The coding changes for the lightgem were simply to improve the speed of the processing. Didn't have anything to do with sensitivity or accuracy that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any change in "awareness" in other missions.

What I did notice is that the ambient light in these missions is a tad higher than a typical mission and St Lucia

seems to have been brightened a bit. It makes the missions more challenging and realistic but can lead to

frustration as there are fewer hiding places to cool down in.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)