The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.05 official introductory missions

Springheel

Found a bit of free time, so loaded up 2.05. A New Job was loads of fun! I played the first version, but managed to avoid the ring bug. Imho, it does a great job of introducing TDM to what is sure to be a large number of new players. (cuz Steam) Gratz, and thanks to you all who make TDM possible!

BTW, maybe not the right place for this, but on the thedarkmod/missions page this line might need to be updated?

New players: be sure to start with the Training Mission, included in your TDM download. Tears of St. Lucia, also included, is an excellent introduction to TDM missions.

• Like 2

Well, there is a third mission in the storyline that finishes the arc.

Ah, I didn't knwo there was something planned already. Would be sad if this third mission wouldn't see the light of day, so I hope someone experienced offers his/her help.

• Like 2

Managed to run through Tears of St. Lucia yesterday! I had forgotten what a great mission this is. Loved the new additions, at least some things seemed new to me.

Are the sewers reworked a bit? I am sure the Moors weren't hanging around in the older version, or else I just missed them.

Add my name to the list of people waiting for the third mission!

Edited by montag
  • Like 1

The moors are definitely new. There were some additions here and there, though the basic geometry didn't change much. A lot of cosmetic improvements though, and I took on board several years of feedback to make some adjustments to the gameplay.

Glad you liked it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Both the first mission and St. Lucia are better. Minor tweaking goes a long way as was shown in the NHAT update. In fact this and NHAT should probably be among the recommended first missions to play around for new people to start.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to run through Tears of St. Lucia yesterday! I had forgotten what a great mission this is. Loved the new additions, at least some things seemed new to me.

+1 for that. It's been a while since i last touched TDM. Played Tears of St. Lucia through yesterday, and The Account Part 1. Was fun once again. :)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Ran through the reworked mission today. Was fine, although a few issues I had with St. Lucia still persist. But being able to pick up things without alerting everyone definitly helped in the experience.

Are the sewers reworked a bit? I am sure the Moors weren't hanging around in the older version, or else I just missed them.

Add my name to the list of people waiting for the third mission!

I searched the sewers a few times but couldn't find any moors. Any hint to where they should show up?

They are

spying on the entrance to the Church. I forget if you can see them when you enter, but they're definitely beyond the bars when you are on your way out of the church.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to ask about the current version of The Tears of St. Lucia.

I've been in the process of translating this FM during the last two months. However, even with the translation fully completed and now part of a separate "..._l10n pk4" file for the mission folder, little of my translation seems to be working. The objectives show up translated, which is certainly good, but all the readables in the mission remain the same. Do they use fonts that aren't used by readables in other FMs ? I've had a look as the appearance of St. Lucia's readables, and they seem custom to me, rather than just the two different fonts used in most FMs.

I have no problem with custom fonts for missions, but the long-term issue with these is that they effectivelly prevent any sort of l10n efforts aimed at TDM FMs. If you have to figure out every single font separately, and even the translation of the .lang file from the strings folder affects almost nothing, then there is not much of a point to translating the mission at all. At the very last, I feel that a future update of St. Lucia should use fonts that are the same as in the other FMs (including A New Job and the Training Mission).

Additionally, the current version of A New Job is untranslatable. It lacks a strings folder and the relevant .lang files housed there. Could a future update of ANJ include the strings for it, if possible ?

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

The problem with translations is that once a mission has been converted into strings, you cannot use the readable editor to make any modifications. Dark Radiant does not understand string files. It's also irritating to have to adjust briefings and inventory names, since you have to manually look up from the string file what everything is, and can only test changes by running the game. Translations might be fine for missions that aren't expecting any future revisions, but St. Lucia has been updated multiple times, and every time the translations made life more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with translations is that once a mission has been converted into strings, you cannot use the readable editor to make any modifications. Dark Radiant does not understand string files. It's also irritating to have to adjust briefings and inventory names, since you have to manually look up from the string file what everything is, and can only test changes by running the game. Translations might be fine for missions that aren't expecting any future revisions, but St. Lucia has been updated multiple times, and every time the translations made life more difficult.

That's okay then. Since the official mini-campaign is bound to undergo revisions in the future, maybe it would be for the best to leave the current two missions untampered until they're considered permanently finished. It's a bit of a disappointment for me, because it might take years now to get my l10n's into those FMs.

As long as I can finish the l10n for the Training Mission, I think that'll suffice for now. I'll try to focus on that and iron out the remaining issues. The Training Mission is more or less set in stone by this point, and given that it's a tutorial, I feel there is a higher demand for translating it than the other official missions. So, a focus on the Training Mission it is...

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Replayed this mission recently to refresh my memory. More lovely than I remember it.

Spoiler

I think that the safe clue on the bottle should be more obvious. Many bottles are low resolution things and there's lots of them around. To make the workshop clue obvious we need to make the bottle at the workbench possible to pick up as a quest item in the inventory where it shows that the item has one number crossed out.

On another note I hope we'll see more moors and barbarians described in the newspapers for Mission 3.

The safe number switching works weird. You have to frob the safe itself and then use the brackets to change the number. Why can't we just use press use or frob and change the numbers that way? Very odd. But I think this is a general gripe with how safe combinations work in TDM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

The safe number switching works weird. You have to frob the safe itself and then use the brackets to change the number. Why can't we just use press use or frob and change the numbers that way?

I'm pretty sure this is possible in several more recent missions. Has something changed in the core mod or is this up to the mission designers?

4 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

@Anderson brackets? Do you not have a scroll wheel mouse?

Oh right. Sorry. Forgot about that.

On second thought I do have a mouse where the scroll wheel mouse is broken due to pressing it too much as a third mouse button. So if I only had that, the brackets are the only way left to change the safe combination.

8 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

I'm pretty sure this is possible in several more recent missions. Has something changed in the core mod or is this up to the mission designers?

I think it was always like that but I never paid attention until now. I haven't played in a year or 2 I think.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 year later...