The Dark Mod Forums

2.05 reviews and media posts

Springheel

LFG.HU, by yours truly.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Another, separate mention on PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-lets-you-remove-fps-and-fov-limits-in-id-tech-5-games-like-wolfenstein-the-new-order-and-rage/

It's funny, after all these years, I think some people still don't understand what TDM is. He mentions it comes with a level editor, and includes "the first of three introductory missions." I sent him an email to clarify.

• Like 2

Another, separate mention on PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-lets-you-remove-fps-and-fov-limits-in-id-tech-5-games-like-wolfenstein-the-new-order-and-rage/

It's funny, after all these years, I think some people still don't understand what TDM is. He mentions it comes with a level editor, and includes "the first of three introductory missions." I sent him an email to clarify.

As for the introductory mission thing, that's legit, though, right? Thedarkmod.com's update says, "Many of these new assets are showcased in a new introductory mission for TDM that is included in the update. This mission is the first of a three mission story which serves as our official introduction to TDM’s gameplay and setting."

I'm just trying to find out how to play the new mission... isn't intuitive to find. Maybe I have to uninstall my currently loaded game (Down By The Riverside) and it'll pop up on the main menu. UPDATE: Nope, did that and don't see it. The "Training Mission" entry I have on my main menu talks about how it coincides with the v1.08 release, so I'm assuming that's not it. Oh well, I'll find it sometime... just need to do more Google and/or forum searches

UPDATE #2: Found this thread. All is well... http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18647-tdm-205-official-introductory-missions/

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

I'm just trying to find out how to play the new mission... isn't intuitive to find. Maybe I have to uninstall my currently loaded game (Down By The Riverside) and it'll pop up on the main menu. UPDATE: Nope, did that and don't see it.

Yes, they are hard to find. I'll repeat my suggestion to rename them to 1. Mission, 2. Mission and so forth so they will be right on top of the mission list! As there will be a needed update due to the bugs, this should somehow be made before the Steam release. Maybe this could be a way to get rid of the buggy mission too, like people will play the renamed mission and the buggy one can be just deleted from the mission list?

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/3309958/the_dark_mod.html

An article from Gamestar, germanys biggest gaming magazine.

• Like 3

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Funny, they also write about a new level editor in the abstract, but in the text below they correctly say that the existing level editor has been updated.

Some of the comments are really funny. I'll translate my favorite for you guys: "Who needs this when Resident Evil 7 is released?" It has 42 dislikes and 2 likes. :D

Neat! Kinda frustrating they are still using images from the 2008 version of St. Lucia, but still, the trailer is there and should make a good impression.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Funny, they also write about a new level editor in the abstract, but in the text below they correctly say that the existing level editor has been updated.

Some of the comments are really funny. I'll translate my favorite for you guys: "Who needs this when Resident Evil 7 is released?" It has 42 dislikes and 2 likes. :D

Noticed the thing with the level editor, too. The resi comment is probably a joke, or the guy who wrotes it :P

One thing a few comments mention to not be good is the lack of a campaign (including cutscenes etc). @ Stifu: As you are registered there, you might inform them that there are actually campaigns, even if they are seperated sometimes (NHAT, Thomas Porter, ...). But only if you like :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

As for the introductory mission thing, that's legit, though, right? Thedarkmod.com's update says, "Many of these new assets are showcased in a new introductory mission for TDM that is included in the update. This mission is the first of a three mission story which serves as our official introduction to TDM’s gameplay and setting."

I'm just trying to find out how to play the new mission... isn't intuitive to find. Maybe I have to uninstall my currently loaded game (Down By The Riverside) and it'll pop up on the main menu. UPDATE: Nope, did that and don't see it. The "Training Mission" entry I have on my main menu talks about how it coincides with the v1.08 release, so I'm assuming that's not it. Oh well, I'll find it sometime... just need to do more Google and/or forum searches

UPDATE #2: Found this thread. All is well... http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18647-tdm-205-official-introductory-missions/

The thing about the introductory missions is technically correct I guess, they just make it sound as if there's only one mission released when in fact there are two.

Also, the new intro mission may be hard for some of us to find, since most people who've been playing the mod have dozens of missions installed, but for someone who is installing TDM for the first time, the intro missions are going to be the only things visible (as well as the training mission).

• Like 1

Also, the new intro mission may be hard for some of us to find, since most people who've been playing the mod have dozens of missions installed, but for someone who is installing TDM for the first time, the intro missions are going to be the only things visible (as well as the training mission).

Maybe, but still I think we should make the "official missions" more prominent, which would be easy by renaming them. Speaking of which, after downloading 2.05 and all new missions I have a lot of duplicates in the mission list! Are updated missions not supposed to replace the old ones? Also I noticed that there are quite a lot of connected or campaign missions that have no common title which makes the whole thing look very confusing. I think it would be really great if someone could take a look and make the naming consistent before TDM appears on Steam...

Related to that, I noticed that sometimes for the in-game downloader, missions that start with "The" show up under T and sometime they show up under their proper name. And then we you go to the list of missions after they've been downloaded, it shows up in the opposite spot. Slightly annoying.

Yes, they are hard to find. I'll repeat my suggestion to rename them to 1. Mission, 2. Mission and so forth so they will be right on top of the mission list! As there will be a needed update due to the bugs, this should somehow be made before the Steam release. Maybe this could be a way to get rid of the buggy mission too, like people will play the renamed mission and the buggy one can be just deleted from the mission list?

Renaming would be helpful, but it'd still need an official designation of some sort, imo. Whether it be a TDM icon/logo next to the official ones, or a "TDM" official designator before or after the titles (e.g., "TDM Mission 1: A New Job", or "Mission 1: A New Job (TDM Official)", with "(TDM Official)" being in a much smaller font), etc. Or, as you might prefer, "1: A New Job (TDM Official)" or with a TDM icon/logo in lieu of words

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

Related to that, I noticed that sometimes for the in-game downloader, missions that start with "The" show up under T and sometime they show up under their proper name. And then we you go to the list of missions after they've been downloaded, it shows up in the opposite spot. Slightly annoying.

I tried I really did, but I failed.

Nothing should be sorted by "The....".

The and other common words

Sometimes if a phrase begins with a very common word (such as "the" or "a"), that word is ignored or moved to the end of the phrase, but this is not always the case

As long as we pick one and stick with it, so if the list is sorted with "The " at the front, then it should appear the same way in the Mission Downloader, and the same way on the Missions list in game.

But right now I don't think it is.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hi 2 questions about this update.

1) Does it require a more demanding rig? (due to new assets and such)

2) Does food heal health? (It was broken before)

Thanks.

1. I don't think it should require a more powerful rig due to the new assets. As indicated in the release notes, there have been updates to improve performance. So hopefully you'll see improvements there.

2. I don't know.

Mostly fixed:

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4166

Bread and Fish need some adjustments unless the last progress was already committed.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)