The Dark Mod Forums

Let's Map TDM With Sotha: The Bakery Job

Sotha

I know there are many ways to remove the noise.

Audacity way would need me to separate audio from the video, then do the noise reduction and then edit the videos with new audio track. Lots of work, when I just want to focus on the main-good-stuff, which is the mapping.

For some drivers there is a on-the-run noise removal, but my drivers have that option grayed out. I didn't want to start messing around with sound drivers, lose time, and risk losing the basic mic functionality that is presently working.

So I'm just gonna wipe the problem under the carpet and do nothing. Agreed, it is an annoyance for most people, but the videos will serve their purpose for those who want to watch and learn from them.

If I decide to start making more videos for youtube in the future, I will probably buy a good mic, a faster internet connection, some background dancing girls, and do a thorough system check so that everything is in top-notch order.

At present there are no such plans, so I trust the current setup will suffice, and OGDA gets their meditation session. ;)

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Noooooooooooooooo

:D

If you do, you have to provide a separate version with static. ^^

Or just record some lovely static and package it as a video?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I must say I like your videos better when they're a bit shorter. I rarely have time for 1-hour videos, and it's easier to skip to the part I need help with, when the video is shorter.

This way of presentation, with slight fast forward, is also nice:

Just in case you missed it, the point of this video series was to vblog the whole creation of the mission. If the lighting phase of the mission took 1h to do, then the lighting video is 1h long.

That way, in the end, I get minute accurate information how much time was spent on this mission and how much time was spent in each of the mapping phases.

If you don't have time to watch, feel free to skip to the parts you want to see.

Clipper

It is what it says on the tin.

In Let's Plays usually someone plays something and makes a video of it as they go.

This is a Let's Map video, which means that someone (me) maps and makes a video of it as I go.

I am not sure what you expected.

• Like 1

Clipper

No biggie, that's the usual chaos of publishing something on the interhighway :) There will always be people who will tell you what they think your work "should" be, regardless of your goals or intentions. I was probably expecting some more educational material, like this one on CS GO. But these are two different things, I should have known this will be more like Obstorte's videos. Again, nothing wrong with that :)

I would not underestimate the "educational value" of these videos.

For a total newbie, they can be a gold mine for learning DR, because it covers everything it takes to complete a functioning mission from 0% to 100%. For an experienced mapper the benefit is of course lower, but they might pick up something small from here and there.

But sure, the information could be more concentrated, but doing that would risk not showing something important people would need to know. I do not want to choose what to show, so I show everything.

It's been fun making them, which is the main motivation. If they produce some concrete benefit, like a single new mapper joining the fray, then even better!

• Like 1

Clipper

Not to forget that people who are new to mapping can hardly judge how much time each step of the mission creation phase consumes. This way of presentation helps them to get a feeling for it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Very well done, Sotha :excl:

A pretty good, compact tutorial showcasing the creation of a basic mission and covering all aspects including mapping, AI, objectives, lighting, sound, etc.

The tutorial seems perfect for beginners, since everything you did made total sense even for bloody newbies like me.

This lowers the hurdle to consider starting a map on my own considerably.

When the day comes that I will open DarkRadiant for the first time, then I will revisit this thread first!

Promise?

Absolutely! BDGs are imperative for any successful Youtube artist. I might throw in some of my own MC Hammer maneuvers as well... ;):blush:

Not sure yet how this all mixes with this Let's Map genre, but there is plenty of time to investigate.

Clipper

Let's Map genre

Never considered this to be an own genre already. But yeah, bdg's never hurt. :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I must say I like your videos better when they're a bit shorter. I rarely have time for 1-hour videos, and it's easier to skip to the part I need help with, when the video is shorter.

This way of presentation, with slight fast forward, is also nice:

That sort of video would be good to get an idea on the reasons for choices, but it's no good as a tutorial.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Great series, though you really need to do something about that hiss. I mentioned to you in the comments on one of them how to fix it.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thanks Neon, but please see post #51.

New part is almost ready:

Part 11: Finishing Touches

(link removed, need to reupload...)

The next part will be about packaging, and when that is done I'll release the map here for public/open betatesting.

Clipper

Argh! Looks like the post-upload processing hanged at 98% and I had to start doing the entire uploading again.

Sorry about it. This will take a while. Please check back tomorrow.

Clipper

Btw. you can get rid of the static with Audacity noise reduction tool. Since it's a uniform noise, it will be fairly simple to get rid of. AFAIR, you just have to select the noise sample and then Audacity removes the noise automatically from the whole track.

Interesting, you never step learning. Looking into it, the used algorithm is called spectral noise gating and it is actually quite simple. I should really get more into audio signal processing. :-)