The Dark Mod Forums

Using Springheel's 2.05 Modules [download in OP]

Springheel

though, is that there are no corners that contain windows (or maybe I just missed them?), which I found rather unfortunate. Consequently, windows can only be used on straight walls,

There is a way to use windows in corners, actually. You can put two windows pieces together in a corner and then use an obtuse_corner piece to hide the seam. Just make sure you lower the corner piece half a grid to avoid any z-fighting.

post-9-0-47420200-1493156177_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, and by the way: The height between the ground floor and the second floor has to be 150 units, if you want to use the interior stairs module. If you want to match the second floor's thickness to the upper edge of the stairs, it should be 14 units thick (@Springheel: You can add these numbers to the original post, so they are easier to find, if you want). I myself used 8 units, however, as 14 units makes it more difficult to match the exterior pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing I noticed just today: the steps of the staircase are a bit high. For the player it is very clunky to walk up and after monsterclipping it as good as I could, an AI also had quite some trouble walking up the stairs.

The player doesn't traverse beveled edges very smoothly, so it can feel clunky going up the stairs unless you put clip on them. I think there are prefabs with clip already set. I haven't noticed any problems with AI getting up them.

I did not see any prefabs using your modules. Maybe I have missed them? I have only added monsterclip so far. I will change it to a general clip and see if it gets smoother for the player. For the AI I will try if I can get a step height that will be fine.

Right, most of the prefabs are on SVN, so won't be available generally until 2.06. I did package up the majority of the ones I made though for mappers who are interested. Can't guarantee the steps are in there, but here's the link: http://www.mindplaces.com/save/prefabs.pk4

My recommendation is to use the new player/monster wood clip texture (I can't remember the exact name but it's next to monsterclip). It acts as both player and monsterclip, but sounds like wood. Perfect for wood steps or placing over scattered wood debris to help pathfinding.

Great! Be sure to share when you're ready; I'd love to see what you come up with.

Unfotunately, the steps were not in there. I will try to clip them myself and hope for the best ;)

I also have found a slight mismatch in the model "interior_set01_corner_door_left_empty". The top and bottom part do not match 100%:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrxxwjbc0fjwjfc/Door.bmp?dl=0

It appears that the bottom part of the model got moved to the side a bit. This is visible for all skins, but did not happen in "interior_set01_corner_door_right_empty". It is no big deal and most players will most likely not even notice, but I still wanted to point it out.

• Like 1

It appears that the bottom part of the model got moved to the side a bit. This is visible for all skins, but did not happen in "interior_set01_corner_door_right_empty". It is no big deal and most players will most likely not even notice, but I still wanted to point it out.

Thanks. That issue got fixed on corner_door_right, but I guess I missed corner_door_right_empty. Let me know when you find other issues like this and I'll correct them for the next update.

As I add new models to the existing module sets, I will make them available to mappers until they are released in 2.06. I've added a link to the OP of this thread.

The current package includes updated prefabs, and seven new models. Two new timber01 models--an empty window02 and window 03 model, and a series of new interior_set01 models, including a corner window, a window02 that matches the timber02 window, and a window02 with a separate frame and window model that can be used as an entry point.

post-9-0-91325900-1494549667_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice. You might want to pin the thread and change the title to make those easier to find ("Using Springheels Modules (Downloadlink in OP)" or so).

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I realize I forgot to add the separate window frame model to the package, so I have updated it with that model.

Now the prefab demonstrated in the video will work correctly, if you want to allow players access to an interior area through a window02.

There are a number of these kind of "entry point" prefabs included in the download package. I'll probably do a video showcasing them soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming these modules are mostly made for cinematics or the background (area's you cannot reach)? How can one go about optimizing with visportals etc using these assets? I'm just wondering if making my own modules out of brushes would be more beneficial and better for performance in the long run.

Edited by refl3ks

The modules are made for general use. However, as the modules are all func_static, you still need to build your general geometry with worldspawn behind it. Here is the original post about the modules, that also gives more information on how to use them: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18527-springheels-modular-building-assets-205/

@Sprinheel: Maye you want to add a link to this post in the OP, too.

• Like 1

I'm assuming these modules are mostly made for cinematics or the background (area's you cannot reach)? How can one go about optimizing with visportals etc using these assets? I'm just wondering if making my own modules out of brushes would be more beneficial and better for performance in the long run.

They're definitely not just for background areas. As Destined mentioned, you use brushes behind the modules to seal visleafs. You can see an example of how that is done with the modules here:

https://youtu.be/BUqFfmIA0_A?t=8m43s

There are also plenty of LOD entities to help with performance in larger areas. If you've played the new 2.05 mission, A New Job, or the speedbuild map that goes with the above video, A Matter of Hours, you can see what maps look like when they're made primarily out of these modules.

After creating a whole mission with your modules, I don't think I can go back to conventional building again. They look amazing in-game and don't hit performance hard with proper portaling. Build times have decreased by over 75% with little to no effort!

• Like 2

After creating a whole mission with your modules, I don't think I can go back to conventional building again. They look amazing in-game and don't hit performance hard with proper portaling. Build times have decreased by over 75% with little to no effort!

Glad to hear it! That's exactly what I was hoping for when I made them. :)

Love to see some screenshots when you're ready.

• Like 1

If mappers create new skins and the like we will have yet more options.

I will contribute once I'm able to get some off time from work.

Glad to hear it! That's exactly what I was hoping for when I made them. :)

Love to see some screenshots when you're ready.

I will post screenshots very soon! just working around with some touch-ups.

• Like 1