The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Bakery Job by Sotha (2017/03/09)

Sotha

Your opinion on The Bakery Job?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay?

2. 2. Appearance?

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text?

Sotha, you keep making your levels easier and shorter and I keep wondering if you're subtly making fun of people like me.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Sotha, you keep making your levels easier and shorter and I keep wondering if you're subtly making fun of people like me.

Easier? Going the no-KO route, the mission was quite on the hard side with three patrolling AI in a limited amount of space, and them relighting the lanterns I put out. :)

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Easier? Going the no-KO route, the mission was quite on the hard side with three patrolling AI in a limited amount of space, and them relighting the lanterns I put out. :)

Just heard it was short, quite happy to hear this.

Waiting on a mission listing at the moment.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

I disagree with the easier comment - playing on the no KO route and with settings hardcore/hardcore it isn't easy at all unless you know where the book is hidden - I spent ages looking for a readable giving a hint and in the end to my embarrassment I had to watch the playthrough

Edited by Oldjim

Here's my YouTube walkthrough of it:

[video=youtube]

Is there a reason your video has an intro of over 1 minute?

What's the point of showing the dark mod logo for over 45 seconds?

In case anybody else is wondering, video actually starts at 1:11

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Is there a reason your video has an intro of over 1 minute?

What's the point of showing the dark mod logo for over 45 seconds?

In case anybody else is wondering, video actually starts at 1:11

Because I wanted to give the atmosphere of a TV program. Also, I felt that the best time to cut the music was at the moment when it's about to play the piano tune.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Thank you for your mission Sotha, it's a great little mission. And coupled with your video tutorials should help newcomers to understand how to follow a release from start to finish.

Also, I chuckled at the Lord Edgar reference :D

Very nice little mission.

The cook (?) came out to stand by the well, and yawned and stretched twice with a very masculine voice.

Maybe recipe secrets aren't the only thing she's hiding ;)

• Like 1

I liked the mission very much, although

I really had trouble finding the book. And I also missed the secret money stash mentioned in one book...

One thing, you can consider to add: At the beginning you can see a window, from which light pours out into the starting area. This window appears to be lit by the lamp behind it inside. However, it remains lit, when this lamp is doused with a water arrow. So, it would be a bit more realistic, if you would change the skin of the window (and maybe also turn off the light in the yard), when the lamp inside goes out. If I remember corectly the former can be achieved easily with a target from the lamp to the window to change the skin from "lit" to "unlit".

Thanks for playing & glad you liked it!

Never though about the lit window. Sure, the window light could be switched off and the window texture could be swapped from lit to dark (cannot use skins because it is not a model, but it is doable by hiding and showing different wall modules)...

But c'mon! That is a lot of work, which will be noticed by only a small amount of unusually observant players. Also, it might become an implementation hell, because what if the AI relights the light behind the window pushing the entire setup out-of-sync.

Too many eventualities should be taken into consideration.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I did not know, that the window was no model. This definitely complicates things... As I said, I think I read somewhere that you can link lights to windows, so they have the same lit/unlit behaviour (although I cannot find where right now, most likely in one the hundreds of pages of Newbie Questions), which would have been easy to implement. If this is not possible, I agree, it is most likely not worth the effort.

As I said, I think I read somewhere that you can link lights to windows, so they have the same lit/unlit behaviour (although I cannot find where right now, most likely in one the hundreds of pages of Newbie Questions), which would have been easy to implement.

Forgot to upload a video about this. :( Yeah, it is doable with skins and the slight alteration of the tdm_light_holder script I've done for 2.03 or 2.04 (can't remember, but switching window skins was the main purpose of it). As for the model: You can export what you have with the DR ASE exporter and a skin is written in one or two minutes, so it isn't really a huge effort. However, it might only be worth it if one is using this quiet often in a map. For one window it might really be a bit over the top. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

This is a great little mission! Going for a 0 stealth score and full loot,(as I always do) I was really challenged by it. I ended up with all loot, but stealth score of 3, so I'll be replaying it soon.

That hidden stash! I spent at least 10 min. crouching right on top of it, but I have a habit of backing into hiding spaces so I only found it by chance! I had to resort to turning the candles onto their sides to stop them from being relit, and I used a waterarrow on the light outside of the bedroom.

Nicely done, Sotha! IMHO, it's tiny missions like this that really show off a mission authors' skill. I imagine you thinking about how to leave just the perfect gaps in the AI patrol patterns, so that we players can just slip through by the skin of our teeth. Now off to watch your vids of how you did it!

Thanks for playing & glad it brought you joy.

I imagine you thinking about how to leave just the perfect gaps in the AI patrol patterns, so that we players can just slip through by the skin of our teeth. Now off to watch your vids of how you did it!

Hehe.. As you will find out from the video series: I gave the AI the choice how to do the patrol patterns. I just gave them a few RIT nodes and the AI are actually choosing between them at random. :laugh:

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Those videos are so engrossing! I found myself watching them until 3:00am last night. I came away with even more respect for you and all the mappers, and also a realization of just how much work has gone into the editor by a bunch of unsung heroes. The randomization of AI pathways was fascinating, I always knew that it existed, but I had never really though about how it worked.(Hehe, as if I really understand it) Thanks so much for taking the time to make them!

p.s. replayed Bakery again, stealth score 7, so I will be re-replaying till I get that magic 0!

EDIT#2 finally got 0 stealth score! I used 3 waterarrows, and laid over all the candles, but I rarely try for a perfect ghost.

Edited by montag
  • Like 2

As someone with celiac this was cathartic.

Love the level, a nice showcase in minimalism.

Deceptively difficult to ghost, but short.

Edited by V-Man339

• 3 years later...

For such a simple mission this is remarkably challenging for a no-knockouts run. I've been watching Sotha's video series and finally decided to play the level itself. It's loads of fun.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle