The Dark Mod Forums

TDM on OS X (test build)

greebo

I'd like to know whether there are any Mac users out there who might be interested in testing a native OS X build of TDM for me?

In case there are some folks, I have an App and the Game library up for grabs. Download these and put them into your darkmod folder, and please report back if the game launches correctly.

Download The Dark Mod.app: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5l3W4qqEX26OTJEMWhfYTNDcFU

Download tdm_game03.pk4: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5l3W4qqEX26bmJPMDE3OUNyYTQ

Download tdm_update.macosx (zipped): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5l3W4qqEX26eHVXQUx3S1J2OHM

Thanks!

edit: Please note that this is a test build, this is not an officially supported Mac release or something. It is not built against the 2.05 tagged sources in SVN, it's based on a 2.06 branch with modifications to make it build in OSX.

Edited by greebo
added note

Sure, I will test them.
And if it works, i will be happy to package them.

But in the meanwhile, could somebody test my almost-native TDM app and playonmac gamemodule?
At my side those two packages works, but i want to hear your opinions about them.

tdm package
(manual "installer", updater and launcher): The Dark Mod Installer Mac (v20160825)?
(for more info see: topic post, tdm wiki article)
Note: for this, you dont have to install other applications.

playonmac-module
And there is also a almost-native TDM-package for playonmac.
(for more info see: topic post, tdm wiki article)

Note: to run this, you have to install playonmac.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Succesfully tested on a macbook 2012 (with old mac os snow leapoard)
Didnt noticed any errors.

-edit-

Technical info:

I used playonmac (wine frontend) to download TDM using the updater 0.66.

Copied tdm.app and tdm_game03.pk4 to the folder. (a folder in my library folder in my homefolder)

In TDM 2.05 I downloaded and played some missions.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Greebo, is it possible to make a build of tdm.app that runs every version of TDM?

(tdm 2.05 earlier/later)

I don't see how this should work, it's not really feasible in any platform, since the code goes hand in hand with the asset base.

How did you created the code? Did malex donation helped a bit?

It seems malex didn't commit anything to darkmod_src, at least I can't find anything in the logs...

All I did was to fixup the existing Xcode project that I had already working in the past, adding missing stuff and changing the search paths such that downloaded missions are downladed into and found in the correct places (~/Library/Application Support/darkmod). This time I could actually test it myself, since I got hold an old MacBook 2009 with an Nvidia 9400M card.

Thanks for confirming that the build if functional anyway :) I'll try to fixup the osx version tdm_update, moving this to Xcode as well.

(There doesn't seem to much demand in a Mac build at any rate, so I'll approach this as an interesting side project, just to gain some experience.)

I added a fresh tdm_update.macosx updater binary for download to the first post.

I'm surprised nobody is more excited about a native mac build for TDM. This is HUGE news espcially after TDM being greenlit. I think this is a great chance to gain more mac users. Awesome work greebo and freyk!

Thank you.

I guess if you take the intersection of TDM players and Mac Users, this is the result, the number of Mac players might well be in the single-digit percent range.

I added a fresh tdm_update.macosx updater binary for download to the first post.

Thank you.

I guess if you take the intersection of TDM players and Mac Users, this is the result, the number of Mac players might well be in the single-digit percent range.

With the exposure you guys will be getting from steam, its a good opportunity to grow this userbase. There might not be a lot of mac players now because they're not aware that the game exist yet.

I'm sure you'll find more playtesters if you guys do a news update on steam greenlight page, moddb, facebook, etc (not everyone visits this forum).

I'm excited to see TDM on steam with the windows, apple, and penguin icon next to it.

I'd like to know whether there are any Mac users out there who might be interested in testing a native OS X build of TDM for me?

In case there are some folks, I have an App and the Game library up for grabs. Download these and put them into your darkmod folder, and please report back if the game launches correctly.

Got my Mac pro up and running, downloading....

I think he's talking about Linux/Debian here:

A bit late to the thread and likely no-one running the os will ever be using it for games - but - need a test on a Kali (2016) gnome 3.20.2 system..?

If you're indeed talking about Linux, there are already some TDM binaries available. You can test them, I'm quite sure it will work provided the dependencies are installed.