The Dark Mod Forums

TDM on OS X (test build)

greebo

I'm working on a new version of the tdminstaller mac.

This installer places the tdmfolder in the systems library folder (/Library), add some launchers (for the updater and binary) to application folder (/Applications) and set the permissions.

Iceberg doesnt let me install TDM in the users library and application list.

Because the updater doesnt have a gui, i decided to create a launcher that opens the terminal and starts the updater.

Could someone please test this package?

(source)

extract the zip and run the package. Then run the updater launcher from the appliations folder.

Its possible that you get a "unindentied developer" error. you can ignore this, but please tell me when you get this.

To delete this testversion, remove darkmod folder from the library and the tdm applications from your applications folder.

And if you dont have a mac, you can also run on a vm.

Successfully tested the updater on a mac os x sierra vm.

But i cant run tdm, because tdm says that it cant find a opengl videocard.

todo:

placing the tdm folder in /library/application support

Give the launcher apps a icon.

Make a theme for the gui.

post-13309-0-83644400-1490459015_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

@nbohr1more

It is not smart to upload the a 205 mac binary to moddb,

when it doesnt have an installation manual (and other documentation like readmes and licences), things zipped and not tested properly. :angry:

New users dont know now howto install and run tdm.

Please repackage it or make it undone. Thanks.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Please note that the builds above are test builds, compiled against the osx branch (based on the 2.06 sources) in SVN, so that's why 2.06 is also the version tag the game console should print out. I didn't plan this to be an "official" build for immediate release or packaging. If it works for users, that's fine, as well as giving them instructions on how to run them of course, but it's definitely not 2.05 and it's not official.

I just put this out for mac users to test and give feedback (and I'm indeed grateful getting any feedback, this is appreciated) - in the successful case I was going to merge the changes from the osx branch back into trunk, from then on it's the team decision when to put out an "official" Mac build (whether it's a "2.05"-based one or whether to hold it back until the future 2.06 release - that's not my decision).

(At any rate, to be fair one has to note that the moddb download link above actually has installation instructions right below the download link in the description field. Just wanted to point that out. There's definitely no reason to become angry about anything, neither.)

Im sorry,nbohr1more. didnt clicked in the "read more" button to see the instruction. Imho this has also be packed.

And in that instruction on moddb, a step musto be described howto set execute-permission at the updater.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Found a bug thats a potential show stopper -

Tdm runs in a window, I click into the TDM window and the mouse works as expected. But once I click back into the window I have hold down click to move the mouse cursor. Or in addition to the above the OS mouse cursor is still visable and unmoving and the TDM cursor is moving (albient while having to hold down click)

@Greebo would you like to record a video of this..?

• 5 months later...

Hello greebo,

thanks a lot for your work on this, i recently switched to macOS as my main system and obviously had to test this out. :D

I have good and bad news tho. Good news is that the game runs perfectly fine on my mac, a macbook pro 13' 2017 model, bad news is that running it using the app doenst seem to work, i had to start the darkmod by opening up a terminal and go inside the app forder like

cd /Users/martin-kevin/Games/darkmod/The Dark Mod.app/Contents/MacOS

and start the binary using

./The\ Dark\ Mod

Any ideas whats wrong here? The content of my darkmod folder looks like this:

AUTHORS.txt                           tdm_ai_humanoid_townsfolk01.pk4       tdm_sound_ambient03.pk4               tdm_textures_other01.pk4
LICENSE.txt                           tdm_ai_humanoid_undead01.pk4          tdm_sound_ambient_decls01.pk4         tdm_textures_paint_paper01.pk4
TDM_icon.ico                          tdm_ai_monsters_spiders01.pk4         tdm_sound_sfx01.pk4                   tdm_textures_plaster01.pk4
The Dark Mod.app                      tdm_ai_steambots01.pk4                tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4                   tdm_textures_roof01.pk4
TheDarkMod.exe                        tdm_base01.pk4                        tdm_sound_vocals01.pk4                tdm_textures_sfx01.pk4
ca-bundle.crt                         tdm_defs01.pk4                        tdm_sound_vocals02.pk4                tdm_textures_stone_brick01.pk4
config.spec                           tdm_env01.pk4                         tdm_sound_vocals03.pk4                tdm_textures_stone_cobblestones01.pk4
crc_info.txt                          tdm_fonts01.pk4                       tdm_sound_vocals04.pk4                tdm_textures_stone_flat01.pk4
darkmod.ico                           tdm_game01.pk4                        tdm_sound_vocals05.pk4                tdm_textures_stone_natural01.pk4
darkmod.ini                           tdm_game02.pk4                        tdm_sound_vocals06.pk4                tdm_textures_stone_sculpted01.pk4
description.txt                       tdm_game03.pk4                        tdm_sound_vocals07.pk4                tdm_textures_window01.pk4
fms                                   tdm_gui01.pk4                         tdm_sound_vocals_decls01.pk4          tdm_textures_wood01.pk4
tdm_ai_animals01.pk4                  tdm_gui_credits01.pk4                 tdm_standalone.pk4                    tdm_update.exe
tdm_ai_base01.pk4                     tdm_mirrors.txt                       tdm_textures_base01.pk4               tdm_update.linux
tdm_ai_humanoid_builders01.pk4        tdm_models01.pk4                      tdm_textures_carpet01.pk4             tdm_update.log
tdm_ai_humanoid_females01.pk4         tdm_models02.pk4                      tdm_textures_decals01.pk4             tdm_update.macosx
tdm_ai_humanoid_guards01.pk4          tdm_models_decls01.pk4                tdm_textures_door01.pk4               tdm_version_info.txt
tdm_ai_humanoid_heads01.pk4           tdm_player01.pk4                      tdm_textures_fabric01.pk4             thedarkmod.x86
tdm_ai_humanoid_mages01.pk4           tdm_prefabs01.pk4                     tdm_textures_glass01.pk4
tdm_ai_humanoid_nobles01.pk4          tdm_sound_ambient01.pk4               tdm_textures_metal01.pk4
tdm_ai_humanoid_pagans01.pk4          tdm_sound_ambient02.pk4               tdm_textures_nature01.pk4

Thanks to both of you, i got unto the right track. I checked the security settings and it seems that macOS Sierra and its Gatekeeper settings are more stricter then older versions, the option in the GUI to enable apps from unidentified developers is even hidden per default and you have to completly disable Gatekeeper if you would like to enable them via GUI.

As disabling Gatekeeper for the entire system is not exactly safe, i did some research and found a way to add per-app exceptions to Gatekeeper using the commandline. Short version is to run:

spctl --add path/to/The\ Dark\ Mod.app

You can take a look here to get a more detailed explanation: http://osxdaily.com/2015/07/15/add-remove-gatekeeper-app-command-line-mac-os-x/

Doing this small step i can now simply doubleclick on the app to start the darkmod as expected. :)

Edited by damiel
  • Like 1

Sry for the double post after some playtesting i found a bug. Alot of times lights tend to shine/pierce through concrete walls or objects, being visible when they definitly should not. Another thing i noticed is, that when you try to trigger this bug with wooden objects, chairs, tables or that kind of stuff, you see some sort of wireframe on the wooden object, mainly on the exact spot where you can see the light shine through.

• 8 months later...

I can give it a shot if you have some hints for me. :)

First of all, you should not use the whatever osx branch which you see in SVN: most likely, it is too old.

Use either release2.06 version or trunk.

Second, there were some instructions for compiling macosx version in the old compilation guide.

Go to the compilation wiki page, and expand a section at the very end of it. Then find text about macosx there.

Note that 2.06 changed a lot.

For instance, there is no thing like game pak any more.

Also, the guide mentions MACOSX_TARGET_ARCH, but I guess I removed it from scons, because 1) more generic TARGET_ARCH is now present, and 2) I hope no one needs ppc binaries any more.

@Damiel (and all),

the compiled binaries for 2.05 (that works), as example for your quest,

can be found on our moddb page:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/downloads/the-dark-mod-205-native-osx-binaries

(i dont have tested them on 2.06 yet)

But If you can compile them for 2.06 pleac upload the working binaries and codechanges to us, that can help us.

And is it possible to compile a binary that works on every future version of tdm?

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Ok, i will first try to build trunk to see what needs to be done and maybe update the documenation for macOS.

First thing that has to be fixed is

#elif defined( MACOS_X )

in qgl.h in line 26 which needs to be changed to

#elif defined( __APPLE__ )

otherwise it will look for the opengl headers in the wrong place(gl.h vs OpenGL/gl.h)

This will be a fun little ride to get to compile :), i keep you updated on my findings...

EDIT Btw which opengl version is required by TDM, anything newer then opengl 4.1? Because i keep on hitting problems in qgl.h, see the attached log output.

qglh-errorlog.txt

Edited by damiel

EDIT Btw which opengl version is required by TDM, anything newer then opengl 4.1? Because i keep on hitting problems in qgl.h, see the attached log output.

The stuff it can't find is in renderer\glext.h. You would have to fix the project to include that file.

First thing that has to be fixed is

#elif defined( MACOS_X )

in qgl.h in line 26 which needs to be changed to

#elif defined( __APPLE__ )

otherwise it will look for the opengl headers in the wrong place(gl.h vs OpenGL/gl.h)

Can you try and fix that on your side and see if it helps?

• Like 1