The Dark Mod Forums

Concept Artist want to help

freyk

I want to introduce an concept artist I personally know.

(He can also make 2d and 3d Art. And created the Logo for my fm.)

He have seen TDM and loves steampunk atmosphere.

He would like to know your opinions are about his art

And if he can help with TDM.

Portfolio.

https://issuu.com/generatingcreativity

https://www.facebook.com/yokal.s.vanboeckelportfolio

Direct links:

GC 3D volume 1

Dragon's in Ljubljana Slovenia

For the pictures on facebook, you have to loggin at facebook.

what are your opinions?

post-13309-0-82021200-1489696090_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

It looks like those viewport shots are primarily relying on a phong shader. I'd be interested in seeing what he'd do in TDM with proper normal maps applied in the final shots.

@freyk If he is interested in getting into any kind of modeling, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand getting him setup with exporters and stuff to use. Or just any general advice if needed! ;)

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Freyk, your friend has some really cool work.

It looks to me like architectural visualization work (arch-viz). Its quite compelling, especially the surreal landscapes. I also really dig the dragon sculptures! I think many FM authors could benefit from a his help.

Does he plan on doing concept art professionally? If so, he might consider focusing on drawing and painting primarily and 3D as a supplement. Also, has he seen https://www.artstation.com/? Artstation is a great resource for artist and seeing his work on there would be awesome.

I hope this helps.

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the time being, i will react on behalf of my acquaintance.

He is in the middle of moving houses and doesn't have a internet connection yet.

When he is settled down, he will react for his own (and start his art again).

(and i speak only to him once a week)

Here is a message from him:

Thank you for all your reactions.

There a much things to learn and looking forward to the help knowledge you can provide.

I'm looking forward to help you all, to get and keep this game-world artistic inspirational and beautiful.

Also thank you for the positive reactions, I ever got in years.

You can find an other gallery at:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Generating-Creativity-Game-Design-462555140462229/

My Aquintance would like to work in the gamedesign scene, but there are no any game-design businesses in the neighborhood.

I advised him to help with TDM, to get more experienced and to fill up his portfolio.

And hopefully, to find and get a gamedesigners job, which others in thd TDM-scene also get.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people of the Dark Mod I'm the guy that Freyk mentioned. I had an education in art, game design and urban design.
I'm familiar with the Thief lore. So I thought it would be really cool to make some art for you guys here is my first try. Let me know what you think of it.

Peace

post-37995-0-14058000-1492625964_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yokal
  • Like 3

Hello people of the Dark Mod I'm the guy that Freyk mentioned. I had an education in art, game design and urban design.

I'm familiar with the Thief lore. So I thought it would be really cool to make some art for you guys here is my first try. Let me know what you think of it.

Peace

I think it's real strong. Hammerite builder on a horse isn't bad at all.

​The general aspect to shoot for here would be something distinctly gothic. There's quite a lot concept art from ages lying around. Take a look: http://www.thedarkmod.com/media/

And there's more on Moddb and other resources.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

attachicon.gif464037_3452835435277_2090212412_o.jpgHello people

Now some architectual work gothic of course. Let me know what you think.

Peace

That section detailing the flying buttresses reminds me of the exterior of the Hammer cathedral in TDS. The precision with the perspective framework is a fantastic added touch. I had made some considerations for creating modular cathedral parts (sometime in the distant future). A 2D breakdown granting technical direction and possible thematic elements would be invaluable for something like that.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Hey Yokal - that is very good.

You may like to look at a friend's, Doug Paszkieweicz' work - he is a comic artist and is the most OCD perspective person I have ever known:
https://www.instagram.com/arsenic_lullaby_official/

Sometimes he will put up little tutorials on his sites on facebook or whatever (was thinking of making some youtube tutorial videos, but I think gave up on this).

Also obsessive about using brush only for inking - very traditional. Plus, the only guy I know who has had to extend out perspective lines, tacked string, across the room for a panel...

If I were him, I would say bluntly of the cathedral, "the wind needs adjusting. There's no way an updraft would be possibe to blow the flags like this".

(he can also be a grumpy dick, like me - he told me one time that a document I sent to him regarding page layout, eg, panel placement on page, interior panel/cell design and "attitude" through object-of-interest placement, looked like a stereo instruction manual and was the ravings of a madman. It was useful because I changed the typeface. It then went on to win a competition for innovative application of constructivist theory for some art society, so - take as constructive criticism, please.)

If I were me, I would say, gently, "take a look at the flags - maybe it is worth thinking about how the wind would flow around such a structure to ensure that your work is the highest standard you can achieve - even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day :) I like how the detail fades away, leaving only the impression. However the tiling marks appear to be haphazard which is in disparity to your cleaner hand in all other lines".

Very nice. The detail for the (East?) entranceway is very dense and impressive.

• Like 1

Have you tried to draw anything that contains more TDM theme'd subject (eg, not "christian" but "hammerite" and not tri-colour banner but city watch)?

Small alteration to detail allows such things to mesh more with the universe.

Another guy I know, Sam Manley (I can't remember his blog address) - he is an illustrator and character designer for game-books, mostly Cthulu based - he goes so far as to research things such as... if a picture is to be set in to 1940's, what did the street signs look like in the USA in the 1940's and will change it from the modern one to the ones he discovered - he is very good at incorporating such detailed research into his pictures, which is why he always has work :P

It makes a big difference, something small as, "this guy's jeans... are they the style of the era? No... I drew modern so I must change them to look 1950's cut and also change his facial hair to fit with contemporary fashion".

He works from concept to finish. Likely many thumbnails, although I have not seen so much of his works in progress other - he is entirely digital and works in PS CS6, using layers and adheres very much to rule of thirds.
I think PS contains the ability to include perspective lines to infinity without having to draft them and remove.

Believe this is the reason he can complete an assignment that would take me several days in several hours.

So - context for concept art is a big thing. Familiarisation with era and canon is a good thing - homework and research shows in the sketches, as these may then more easily become final.

My experience, only. Please realise I am trying to provide constructive feedback and encourage.

(didn't even use comic sans, to show I am serious)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this (first post of three, left image). Would look good on a banner or a shield, imho.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

We are always looking for quality models and textures. Here's some of the things I would love to see in the game. If you want to make something for us

pick something here that inspires you. :)

Set of chains for hanging chandeliers on that match some attatched to the current changelier

0458-betaaltafel.jpg

dsc_5085-20.JPG

italian-walnut-savanorola-chair.jpg

c69c0ee0126999586154aa9f68fca059.jpg

Or a whole feast of inspiration here: :)

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1613&bih=738&q=medieval+furniture&oq=medieval+furniture&gs_l=img.3..0l8j0i5i30k1l2.4308.9441.0.9767.27.23.2.0.0.0.253.3274.0j9j7.16.0....0...1.1.64.img..11.13.2508.0.5pknFV0UkGQ

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/