The Dark Mod Forums

YouTube Is Killing Its Annotations Editor May 2 in Favor of Cards, End Screens

V-Man339

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7342737?visit_id=1-636252932048676489-1076918688&p=keep_fans_engaged&rd=1

http://www.adweek.com/digital/youtube-killing-annotations-editor-may-2/

http://marketingland.com/youtube-end-annotations-in-may-209396

http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/16/youtube-is-killing-its-annotations-editor-on-may-2/

This is annoying because annotations come out way better on PC, but this wouldn't be the first time PC functionality has been sacrificed for mobile devices, now would it?

This is particularly bad for channels such as mine since now I simply won't be able to add something the user can turn off if he wants a simple text overlay over the video to explain things.

There is one less option for the viewer in the future thanks to this.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

YouTube changes anything about its UI = another giant mistake

Yeah, you'd think one of the single most visited sites in history and the effective replacement of TV would have a consistently solid set of design principles but I think it's safe to say every year has brought some sort of new change to the design of the site and the way it works for the last.... 10 years?

Frankly the inconsistency is distressing to say the least.

To be blunt though this actually does effect (affect?) my channel more than a fair bit, to the point I had to make an announcement out of it.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

I think there's another factor that is motivating this decision, which is the fact that a lot of users now hate annotations.

Unfortunately some channels have abused annotations so much they've turned a significant portion of the viewers against this feature.

At this point lot of users just immediately turn off annotations or disable them completely.

I'm pretty sure YouTube has noticed this by now and I wouldn't be surprised if it's part of the motivation for this change.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

I think there's another factor that is motivating this decision, which is the fact that a lot of users now hate annotations.

Unfortunately some channels have abused annotations so much they've turned a significant portion of the viewers against this feature.

At this point lot of users just immediately turn off annotations or disable them completely.

I'm pretty sure YouTube has noticed this by now and I wouldn't be surprised if it's part of the motivation for this change.

Yeah, they had to remove the feature for annotations that pause the video really early on.

some people have nearly a full screen worth of annotations that completely block out the video you are trying to watch popping up every 15 seconds, up to the point where you just leave the page.

The best is and always will be the channels that include a transparent "subscribe" button over the whole video so if you try to pause it you subscribe to them.

I've only ever seen blatant kid-centered clickbait do that, keep in mind.

Do what I do V, add all the text in the video editor. I prefer that anyway since I get a wider range of choices for fonts and how it's layed out. On top of that

on most channels Mobiles & pads are close to 40% of the playback sources, so since annotations can't be viewed on phones, it makes

sense to use cards.

Personally I don't like cards, I don't think people ever use them, I've never seen a single click on a card I've placed on a video (i put them on all of them),

yet annotations they react to.

As to the transparent subscribe button, I don't like that as it's not an honest subscribe. I only want subs that really want to watch my stuff, I don't

care about the numbers as much as I do about the watch time.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

it was someone advertising their other video's to watch, but they had used the whole space on the video to advertise their other videos but so much so that the video was unwatchable, their other videos had the same amount of annotation coverage, cause it took me there when trying to close the annotations it was either a tutorial for blender or unity, and they had the sound set so low that it was hard to hear as well even with the volume control set to max that's the volume control on windows and speakers.