The Dark Mod Forums

Werebeasts, Consoles, and a story idea by an Asperger's syndrome dude who doesn't know how to make missions.

Kurshok

Hey folks, new poster here! I don't actually have the Dark Mod yet, but as a fan of the original Thief series, I decided to look it up, and man am I impressed. Still, I wish to ask about 3 topics. First off, werebeasts. This game has pagans, steambeasts, and undead like the original Thief series. But it has a missing piece: the Beastmen of the Maw of Chaos, and the Kurshok. The Kurshok stand-in could be a standard Deep One fish monster humanoids for water-side missions with a Lovecraftian inspiration, but the other werebeasts could also be Pagans from savage tribes who have made pacts with dark woodland spirits to fuse their flesh with their spirit animal.

The second point I'd like to make is that, since the Playstation 4 supports Linux games, and The Dark Mod runs on Linux, could we reasonably see a PS4 release? If it takes a few months to work out the porting and legal technicalities, it would be worth seeing the game brought to consoles, especially since my gaming computer crapped out years ago and I rely on my smartphone to use Internet, and PS4 for games.

Finally, I have a mission idea for anyone who can make it. Remember the Resident Evil movie, with the Mansion in the mountains leading to a series of underground laboratories in a "Hive"? Well, what about going to steal from a mansion in the mountains north of Bridgeport, that is owned by the mysterious "Raincoat Company", which is a secret cabal of Necromancers posing as a medical guild. The mansion has a series of catacombs hidden under it, called "The Nest", and has been overrun by an advanced Zombie Plague, which has resulted in multiple undead specimens escaping. The "Blue King", the disembodied spirit of an Arch-Necromancer, has gone insane and wants to set off the oil pipes that run throughout the catacombs and alchemy labs, to destroy all undead test subjects, evidence of the true nature of the Raincoat Company, and kill the player, the last witness. Goals would be to: steal as much of the valuables in the mansion, steal as much evidence as possible to sell to the Church, and steal as much research notes and alchemy equipment as possible to sell on the magical black market. The main goal is to escape from The Nest as soon as possible once the Blue King initiates the demolition. Anybody like this idea? There could be fire gouts in a tunnel to simulate the laser corridor from the movie.

• Like 1

PS4 supporting Linux is some kind of a hack, not official support. If any distro works, it should not be hard to get TDM on there. I'm not sure how well it would run on a couple of PS4's low power Jaguar cores, but TDM runs on older systems.

I think the werebeast already exists in game. I don't know which missions use it. But I also read that it had to be removed during the transition to standalone.

I don't think we need your medical history in the title.

Edited by jaxa

The new standalone werebeast is being worked on ... well the model is complete and maybe half the animations are in place. So he's functional in game already, he just doesn't have all the proper animations yet. So if he does a thing needing a missing animation it looks odd. If you're really excited to see him, you can search the threads for the people that have worked on it and leave a message to them expressing your appreciation for their work and your anticipation to see him in action, which may help them stay motivated to finish him off soon.

As for your FM idea, if you don't want to make a mission, perhaps you could write it as a fan-fic, or draw the map. There's plenty of things you can do with the idea other than build an FM. It's rare people ever build the FM of another person, just because it's so much work, people want to completely own it.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You dont have TDM yet?

"What are you waiting for,...when the loot is crawling to you?" ;)

(or christmas) ;)

As everyone said, there is no support, but how to screencast TDM from your stystem to your playstation?

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/stream-from-pc-to-ps4

And for the stories, post them in the darkmod inspiration thread at the TDM Editors Guild subforum.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

As everyone said, there is no support, but how to screencast TDM from your stystem to your playstation?

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/stream-from-pc-to-ps4

But i tried to chromecast tdm to my Android-tv and this works, but its not fullscreen and not smooth.

(open google chrome. start tdm in windowed mode. in google chrome > options > casting > select "desktop" > your system)

According this article its possible to chromecast to the xbox one (by plugging in the chromecastpuck in the usb-gate)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Well, the other systems TDM runs on could possibly be ported to the PS4. It would require some legal counsel with Sony to publish it, but it does seem to be possible if enough fans ask. Another question: The wiki doesn't have any pictures of the Ghoul type undead, and I don't know where to find images of them. Were they ever added into the game? Same with steambeasts.

Re: Ghouls -- http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Talk:Undead

There's no ghoul entity defined in the current TDM (2.03). Possibly one of the AI types that were removed because they involved Doom 3 assets?

On the other hand we do have skeletons (besides the Revenant), and (non-standardised) ghosts in some missions.

--VanishedOne (talk) 19:00, 12 October 2015 (UTC)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The Nest idea sounds like a roguelike mode for The Dark Mod.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson