The Dark Mod Forums

Filthy Frank

Kurshok

I've smirked at a few of his antics but I haven't watched him extensively. I never quite understood his overall shtick. He seems to be a descendant of Tom Green's genre, would you agree?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, no.

I have never understood this type of mindless BS passing as humor, its like all those asinine prank video's. Where all I personally waiting for is the perpetrators to get the shit kicked out of them.

I'm not a fan of surrealism outside of a few cases, but he does some actually well aimed coverage of commonly known issues involving weirder, more unimportant issues one can tackle in a comic manner.

(see also; his coverage of people pushing their mixtapes/rap albums thinking they'll explode in popularity)

He also, odd as it may sound, has an oddly convoluted ongoing mystery series weaved into his channel.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't actually subscribe to him or watch most of his videos, but I can see the merits. The man is popular for a reason.

Also, I'm told by people who have something resembling taste in music that he "knows what he's doing", whatever that means, but music is something I have no real ability to comment on so take that with a pound of salt.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

What Biker said, I'm just waiting for someone to kick the crap out of him, reminds me of that Dapper Laughs idiot Dan O'Rielly who thought being sexist & making rape jokes was just a bit of banter, I'm not sure what humour is but being offensive for the shock value isn't it for me at least, it doesn't suddenly 'reframe my paradigm in a humorous way', it just makes me think he's a dick

What Biker said, I'm just waiting for someone to kick the crap out of him, reminds me of that Dapper Laughs idiot Dan O'Rielly who thought being sexist & making rape jokes was just a bit of banter, I'm not sure what humour is but being offensive for the shock value isn't it for me at least, it doesn't suddenly 'reframe my paradigm in a humorous way', it just makes me think he's a dick

I get your point, but what you kind of want to keep in mind is that there is a difference between shock humor that crosses a line to make points, however vulgar (see; any given particularly good episode of South Park) and something that just goes for shock value for the sake of being shock offensive (see; the Nutshack, Brickleberry, anything Family Guy post season 2, any given bad episode of South Park), something I think people are keen to ignore.

Guessing you guys aren't Jackass fans? When done right, this kind of stuff can be really funny. Obviously I'm not interested in the sexist/rape stuff, that's crossing the line to put it mildly.

I think it's just a preference, personally, you can see a really strong, clear divide in love for shows like Eric Andre to give an example. Either you really enjoy this sort of thing, or you really hate it.

Personally I try to be varied, I enjoy Eric Andre, Filthy Frank, Three Stooges, Looney Toons, Jackie Chan and any given Wes Anderson movie.

That said I absolutely loathe Kevin Hart movies and any given later Adam Sandler movie (if there is a single human who will defend the merits of Jack and Jill I'd love to talk to them), in particular stuff like Pixels where you can tell he just does not give a damn.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

He has a disclaimer on his page that Filthy Frank, the character, is meant to be everything a person SHOULDN'T be; rude, crude, racist, misogynistic, homophobic, etc. But the character has evolved from just an allegory of shitty people using the Internet to espoused their vile views, into a surreal science fiction/ fantasy acid trip involving alternate universes, sub-dimensions, units of time and space in the form of "chromosomes" being used as currency, deities and interdimensional aliens clashing over said chromosomes in "epic" battles, and a fatalistic background: the omnivore is slowly falling apart, and only whimsical, stupid bullshit nonsense like Frank produces can stop it from disappearing into Darkness. It's implied that many dimensions are abandoned or were reduced to lifeless wastelands because they simply "ran out of time"... literally!

Imagine a cross between Age of Sigmar and it's Realms concept, Doctor Who, and a lot of tetrahydrocannibanol, with all the memery and cancerous shit the comments section on any given website can produce shat all over it. It is a mirror into the collective id of society.

I get your point, but what you kind of want to keep in mind is that there is a difference between shock humor that crosses a line to make points, however vulgar (see; any given particularly good episode of South Park) and something that just goes for shock value for the sake of being shock offensive (see; the Nutshack, Brickleberry, anything Family Guy post season 2, any given bad episode of South Park), something I think people are keen to ignore.

I love South Park and Family Guy, I get shock humour, sarcasm and satire, but this looks like he watched an episode of Trigger Happy TV while drunk and thought "that's EASY!" while completely missing the point and thinking it's all about pissing people off on camera. The more it gets explained the less funny I find it. The comedy of deliberate embarrassment isn't comedy for me it's trying to normalise bullying behaviour, if the only way you can get a laugh is to denigrate your audience or pick on people then you're not only doing it wrong, there's something wrong in your head.

The Dennis Pennis Character (Paul Kaye) had a similar schtick, but it was only when he started targeting celebrities that he found the groove and even then there was a fine line between him overworking the situation, looking like he's just being a dick for the sake of it and actually making a valid point in a humorous way. His best stuff was effortless and throwaway, a casual one liner about Hugh Grant's performance "it was like someone threw a chair on stage" hits harder than chasing someone with a microphone for comments about some embarrassing question & being ignored. The chair gets remembered the embarrassing question forgotten.

The other surreal stuff he's doing has a faint appeal, but not enough to make me sit & watch it, I lost interest in art house surrealism years ago when I was a student, if I want surrealism with Japanese dialogue I'll watch manga cartoons, I suppose I'm getting old.

I love South Park and Family Guy, I get shock humour, sarcasm and satire, but this looks like he watched an episode of Trigger Happy TV while drunk and thought "that's EASY!" while completely missing the point and thinking it's all about pissing people off on camera. The more it gets explained the less funny I find it. The comedy of deliberate embarrassment isn't comedy for me it's trying to normalise bullying behaviour, if the only way you can get a laugh is to denigrate your audience or pick on people then you're not only doing it wrong, there's something wrong in your head.

The Dennis Pennis Character (Paul Kaye) had a similar schtick, but it was only when he started targeting celebrities that he found the groove and even then there was a fine line between him overworking the situation, looking like he's just being a dick for the sake of it and actually making a valid point in a humorous way. His best stuff was effortless and throwaway, a casual one liner about Hugh Grant's performance "it was like someone threw a chair on stage" hits harder than chasing someone with a microphone for comments about some embarrassing question & being ignored. The chair gets remembered the embarrassing question forgotten.

The other surreal stuff he's doing has a faint appeal, but not enough to make me sit & watch it, I lost interest in art house surrealism years ago when I was a student, if I want surrealism with Japanese dialogue I'll watch manga cartoons, I suppose I'm getting old.

I can understand, the only comedian of this type I don't just sort of like but love is Eric Andre.. And specifically for the reason you stated, he messes with celebrities who are effectively clueless as to what awaits them.