The Dark Mod Forums

A mapping Tutorial: Series 1 - The Elixir

Bikerdude

22 members have voted

1. 1. A cramped city section

2. 2. A small but pretty manor

3. 3. Either one of the above but set in daylight

• 3 months later...

Good stuff, although you really should think about using some modeling software too. The big amount of time needed to create the roof trims, and frustration with misalignment and all that stuff, you could avoid at least some of that with proper modeling tools.

I would like to and to that end -

• I have tried Blender (2.70, I think..),
    • but after years of using DR that the controls in blender are completely alien
    • blender is hideously complicated compared to DR.
    • then there is the .LWO and .ASE export issue.
  • I have looked long and hard for a copy of Lightwave 8 that I beleive Springheel uses, but for seomthing over 10years old the cheapest I could find it was for £200 of ebay - so not going to happen.

I have been suggested and tried alternatives, such as Wings3D, but have been unable to find the right tutorial for beginners.

What do you use for your modeling..?

Hmm, I'm afraid all modeling software controls will be a bit alien in comparison to DR. I use older version of 3dsmax, but the controls remain roughly the same throughout all versions. E.g. all 3d navigation is MMB-based (with Alt, Ctrl, Ctrl + Alt modifiers). But cloning options are faster, as is switching between vertex/edge/polygon level, not to mention all modifiers at your disposal. Still, buying 3dsmax for amateur modeling work these days is a ridiculous idea, given its sky-high price.

It's really hard to get perpetual licenses for stuff like 3dsmax 2010 these days. Some people were selling it on eBay, but Autodesk stepped in and banned it. They only approve selected resellers now, and they also switched to a subscription model. Even on a monthly basis, something like 200 GBP per month is way, waaay too much for a home budget.

Edited by Judith

That might be useful if Biker decides to give Blender a go one more time. I also just checked Modo, which is very good, and it has both a permanent license or annual/monthly subscription plan. 50-60 EUR per month is basically a price of one new video game.

Edit: and it looks like Modo supports .lwo natively: https://help.thefoundry.co.uk/modo/902/content/help/pages/system_files/import_export.html

Edited by Judith

• That might be useful if Biker decides to give Blender a go one more time.

I also just checked Modo, which is very good, and it has both a permanent license or annual/monthly subscription plan. 50-60 EUR per month is basically a price of one new video game.

• This is likely

This is isnt, way to expensive.

Edited by Bikerdude

For the technology it offers, it's actually very home user friendly, especially in comparison to "industry's finest" like Autodesk. This plus a hobbyist license for Zbrush allows you to create high quality content without pirating all the software, which is nice.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, SuaveSteve said:

Could someone ask Bikerdude if he would consider re-uploading these vids? I'm sure they are still informative to newbs (like me?)

Just in case you don't know, Sotha and Springheel made phenomenal mapping tutorials that pretty much cover the entire mapping process:

Sotha's vids: 

Springheel's Vids: 

• Like 3