The Dark Mod Forums

Taking a step back... from the edge

Bikerdude

Here is a link to all the resources I have collected and created over the years -

- mega

And for those who are interested, here is a copy of Komag's repository which includes 800+ T1/T2 & T3 FMs -

- mega

Has anyone taken a copy of the info from either of those links as been 2 months and want to free up the space on my drive

Has anyone taken a copy of the info from either of those links as been 2 months and want to free up the space on my drive

Please keep the darkmod resources another week or two, thank you Biker!

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

I just linked to this thread from your thread at ttlg.com, so a few more might try to grab these files soon; so please keep them both up a bit longer, if possible. The link that was posted at ttlg.com before required some decrypt key of some sort, so the link didn't really work there to my knowledge

Sorry to see you go, Bikerdude. Thanks for all your conributions!, and hopefully time will help heal any wounds

Edited by Darkness_Falls

• 2 weeks later...

@Bikerdude, aww, that sucks, man. You will be missed. I understand how sometimes things just don't work out. But you have indeed added a lot of great stuff to this mod. I am not a new user; I am actually a former user who had thousands of posts and whose talked to you before, but I just wanted a new identity.

Anyway, thanks for all the fun missions, and for the help that you gave to others to get their missions done along the way.

EDIT: Let's not forget all of the vocal work you've done too! (both in the core mod and guest-starring in FMs by others).

Edited by kano

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as I'm aware, you haven't done anything wrong and have only brought positive contributions. I do have the general feeling that it's not easy to please everyone in the TDM community, as views on certain matters may be more diverse and strong than other places. I hope you're not thinking of also leaving the community, and may choose to remain a casual developer at least.

• 6 months later...

Any future TDM related requests (hosting an FM, getting forum or SVN access or getting assets added to the core mod etc) should now be directed at the team as I will no longer be an admin, or a team member,

I will attempt to wrap up any remaining projects I am working on that have a chance of being finished before the end of the year. I haven’t decided what I will do beyond that point.

I am still receiving emails from new and old forums members for team related questions, so please let me reiterate I am no longer a Team member.

This is no longer the case, I have posted links to in the Abandoned works thread for adoption - http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12713-abandoned-works/page-5?do=findComment&comment=421078

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

Lemme get this straight..

An argument over a simple misunderstanding, is leading you to (basically) scrap all the hard work you've been doing on several missions, including the Shadowhide mission?

A petty argument is leading you to stop contributing altogether?

At least, reconsider. You help keep the lights on in this place. C'mon man.

• Like 1

Bikerdude, I mean this sincerely. But you need help buddy.

You’re currently lashing out with a revised version of events of what actually happened. Dragging a lot of names through the mud, I’m sorry that you feel so negatively towards me and others. But what you are stating simply isn’t true, and most discussions behind the scene are aware of that. I did not want to post here because I don’t have anything to do with your latest problem with Melan but I do feel like I should correct the record a bit here, especially with the claims you're making.

But you and I and many others have been down that path before. There have been long talks with various members about your behavior over the years. So, shouldn't the fact that you’ve encountered so many issues with various people indicate that perhaps the problem is not external but rather internal?

You can be a very helpful guy to new and upcoming mappers and to people who get stuck, but judging by the fact that you’ve had clashes between many different members on the dark mod, doesn’t that suggest that maybe people don’t enjoy the way you conduct yourself?

I hope you don’t take it personally, but please get some help to deal with whatever demons you are facing. And if you do decide to come back then maybe just focus on your own missions because I and many others really enjoy playing your missions. And if you focus on you, I think you’ll have a much better time here.

Good luck with it all man.

But you and I and many others have been down that path before. There have been long talks with various members about your behavior over the years. So, shouldn't the fact that you’ve encountered so many issues with various people indicate that perhaps the problem is not external but rather internal?

You can be a very helpful guy to new and upcoming mappers and to people who get stuck, but judging by the fact that you’ve had clashes between many different members on the dark mod, doesn’t that suggest that maybe people don’t enjoy the way you conduct yourself?

Correct and correct and that is precisely why I am stepping back.

This pains me, friend, and I honestly and sincerely wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. You have been a AAA star helping me update BHM to the newest technical implementation and I hope you still find time to play TDM and enjoy the labors of your work, as it is available to see aplenty.

Take care of yourself dear friend and if you wish to chat now or in future, please feel free to shoot a PM or email my way!

Kind and sincere regards,

Martin

• Like 2

I have no idea what this is all about. I do know that without your help and guidance over the making of Briarwood, I would've probably not finished it

I remember you from back in the day when before we had a mission to play, except a demo, and we were all debating what was the best lock picking

method to use. I hope whatever this is, you can put it behind you and continue the great work you do here. I for one will miss the guidance.

Thanks for all your help, and I hope you'll find another creative outlet, and really hope you'll change your mind and stay.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I'm at a loss... I was hoping this day would never come. I've had many interactions with Bikerdude over the years and each time he has always been extremely helpful and gracious with his time and support. I read these forums everyday and again, all I ever see is Bikerdude willing to help and going the extra mile for whoever it is. I just can't figure this out, something is wrong but it's not Bikerdude.

• Like 3

Biker is very important member of the community, and as others already mentioned, he's super helpful, especially with new mappers. I experienced that myself too, and I'm grateful for that. That said, Biker seems to thrive when working either with someone or on somebody else's maps. This led to some great collaborations in the past, but also to some a bit strange events lately.

If you take a look at beta section of the forum, you'll find Some1stoleit's first map, which was very basic and simple, and what basically happened in this thread was Biker "hijacking" that map layout to work on, and fill it with Springheel's modules. I don't think that's the best way to teach anyone anything, especially when we're talking about a first TDM map, but that's just my opinion.

Also, Biker always has his hands full, working on 2-3 projects simultaneously, or at least fixing something somewhere. It's hard to be productive or original, if you're constantly like this kind of map-making machine. Not sure what demons Goldwell is talking about, and don't want to play cheap shrink here, but mapping might have been a form of respite or escape from problems. I did that several times as well, whether it was just playing video games, modeling etc. While it didn't solve any of my problems, it was valuable, because it gave me a breather, and environment where I felt I was in control, being able to solve different kind of problems. That in itself is a form of therapy, I guess.

I hope you get your life problems sorted out Biker, and you'll get back to us, sooner or later.

Biker is very important member of the community, and as others already mentioned, he's super helpful, especially with new mappers. I experienced that myself too, and I'm grateful for that. That said, Biker seems to thrive when working either with someone or on somebody else's maps. This led to some great collaborations in the past, but also to some a bit strange events lately.

If you take a look at beta section of the forum, you'll find Some1stoleit's first map, which was very basic and simple, and what basically happened in this thread was Biker "hijacking" that map layout to work on, and fill it with Springheel's modules. I don't think that's the best way to teach anyone anything, especially when we're talking about a first TDM map, but that's just my opinion.

With respect, I think it's a bit dicey playing couch psychologist from such a distant prospective. What can be said and has already been said by many people, Bikerdude was a very important member of this community. He helped many people including myself on many occasions without any friction whatsoever. It is also true that he sometimes rubbed some people the wrong way but considering how many people he worked with, language differences, and that he had been an admin, I'm not at all surprised that sometimes it didn't always work. That's part in parcel of the admin position he held and the nature of collaboration - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Different styles don't always mesh and that's not a character flaw.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself but you say that Bikerdude hijacked Some1stoleit's first map, http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19282-cleaning-up-the-neighbourhood-beta/. I've read that post and I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Some1stoleit clearly asked for help with his map and many people responded including yourself and Bikerdude. However, even with lots of feedback Some1stoleit was still having problems. Bikerdude then replies and clearly states what he could do and says this, "So I don't make the same mistakes I made in the past when offering to help, I am offering to do fix all of the above but it will mean the map will get changed noticeably". Some1stoleit responds by saying, "I think I'll take your offer, I'd like to see what the best mapping practices look like". I might agree with you about Bikerdude's teaching style but it cannot be denied that Some1stoleit clearly enters into their agreement fully understanding what Bikerdude is offering to do. I'll also add that at no point does Some1stoleit show any signs of regretting his decision.

Again, I can't speak for anyone other than myself but from what I've read in this very post, Some1stoleit seems to appreciate what Bikerdude did for him so I'm not sure using this as an example of foul play is valid.

More to the point, obviously Bikerdude shouldn't have meddled with Melan's map. That was wrong, plain and simple. I can understand Melan's anger, I only wish he had contacted Bikerdude directly instead of saying what he said in a public post. Again, I'm not blaming Melan, I'm just saying things could have been handled differently. Maybe the admin who monitors these forums could have intervened or maybe he did, I have no idea but clearly things went awry.

For me, all of this is completely unnecessary and it should never have ended in Bikerdude's departure. As a valued member of this community we should have supported him, not push him away. Bikerdude was fully aware of his propensities and tried his best to keep himself in check and apparently we were all aware of this also but somehow all of this fell through the cracks. I think this community was stronger with him than without him. He's a good dude with a great heart.

• Like 2

• Bikerdude was a very important member of this community
  • Bikerdude then replies and clearly states what he could do and says this, "So I don't make the same mistakes I made in the past when offering to help, I am offering to do fix all of the above but it will mean the map will get changed noticeably".
  • More to the point, obviously Bikerdude shouldn't have meddled with Melan's map. That was wrong, plain and simple. I can understand Melan's anger, I only wish he had contacted Bikerdude directly instead of saying what he said in a public post.
  • For me, all of this is completely unnecessary and it should never have ended in Bikerdude's departure. . I think this community was stronger with him than without him. He's a good dude with a great heart.
  • I'm not comfortable being thought of like this, it may appear I did a lot for the mod and maybe I did but only insofar as a lot of man hours, that doesn't make important or special.
  • This is one of the few times I actually did something right for a change, doesn't mean I didn't have second thoughts about building a map from scratch nuking Some1's original map - but I was able to fall back on what I said from the get go. I now in retrospect just wish I had done that with and all the others worked with and the team.
  • Correct and to fair to Melan, he had a complete righteous and valid point. My punishment for that while self imposed is valid, this is the third time I have fucked up and it not fair on the rest of the team to say " he only meant well".
  • The team didn't ask me to leave, as Melan said I am not learning enough from my mistakes. And to be frank learning that Melan left the mod because of something I did but didn't tell me was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Taking what Goldwell said I will be blunt, I don't have any demons to deal with - however I do wear heart my heart on my sleeve. That and I just need to pay attention to people and stop making what are clearly avoidable mistakes. I take on-board what people have had to say good or less good, but I my self imposed punishment has to stick. Today I nuked the last remaining copies on any tdm data forgot I had on an old laptop, The Darkmod was fine before presence and I'm sure it will be fine without.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

And to be frank learning that Melan left the mod because of something I did but didn't tell me was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Melan left TDM because you changed a map of his although you reverted everything and apologized? Now you leave! Are you all divas or what ;)?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

I was not aware that Melan also left :o That is all the more tragic.

I understand that you want to leave before you do any more damage (although I am 100% sure it was unintentional). Sill, it is a shame that such a helpful person will leave the mod. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours!

Biker and all,

some people should/need appreciate your (and somebodies) help, during the moments you spend your voluntary time on them.

For the greenlight thing, Bikerdude set the step that others dont dare to, with his own money.

community communication is even important than a team members communication.

A team is created from a part of the community.

But the community keeps TDM alive. Team members only set/take a direction.

Biker:

stop doing things you hate, and do the things you like.

Give other members your teammember functions, you dont enjoy.

And just be a part of this community: give your opinions on this forum, create in your own time great missions, give your advice to people, etc, etc)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Fatigue and exhaustion. Everybody needs a respite.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Just to set the record straight, I didn't leave TDM. I am inactive because I have been severely burned out ever since PD3's release. That has absolutely nothing to do with you and everything to do with me.

Glad to hear it. Well, the "you are not gone" part, not the "burned out" part!