The Dark Mod Forums

Taking a step back... from the edge

Bikerdude

Glad to hear it. Well, the "you are not gone" part, not the "burned out" part!

Agreed! I apologize for my "diva" comment, but at the time it sounded like multiple people disappeared because of minor differences. Modding burn out is a common problem, just take a break and come back when you have fun doing things again :).

• Like 1

Hey Biker. I wish you all the best. Don't beat yourself up too much about things you have or may have done wrong (I don't really know what happened).

You also were of great help to a lot of people, including me. I would most likely never have released a mission without your help. So thank you again.

• Like 3

To be honest, whoever this is between, you guys need to get onto skype and sit down and work it out. You are all too valuable to

this community to be lost over misunderstandings and misinterpretations. Text has a bad way of being misread, and talking things out

and clearing the air can put all this to rest so everyone is happy again. I really hope that's done so no one feels they have to leave

a community you have put your heart and soul into, as I know Bikerdude has done.

Others butting in and adding psycho-bullshit is just not helpful and possibly deeply embarrassing.

• Like 3

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 months later...

So I am leaving the mod permanently. I have permanently deleted any and all data I had related to the Darkmod from all local drives and cloud backups.

Since your profile pic is back and you're talking in other threads about making new textures, should we assume this is no longer the case?

Since your profile pic is back and you're talking in other threads about making new textures, should we assume this is no longer the case?

To use my quote above -

• So I am leaving the mod permanently - the trip to The Netherlands gave me some new inspiration, so for now yes this is no longer the case.
  • I have permanently deleted any and all data I had related to the Darkmod from all local drives and cloud backups - almost all of the data is gone, all thats left is shadowhides city mission and all the prefabs I made. And thats assuming someone didnt take a backup of my MEGAsync archive.

Is there something else I should or need to be aware off..?

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 4

Is there something else I should or need to be aware off..?

It was more about what other people might want to be aware of. There were a lot of people who were disappointed when you deleted your profile pic and stated you were quitting for good, and I'm sure they would like to know that you changed your mind and are still here.

Soo...

I would be glad to see you resume in some way but there's no need to burden yourself on anything you previously obligated yourself to.

In that spirit, would it be alright if I put Winter Harvest V2 back up in the catalog?

I know you were planning a V3 but there's no need to have it hanging over your shoulders if you aren't anywhere near done (or it's gone).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I don't like seeing the names of various contributors like Airship-ballet and finding out the sordid history of things of my fav mod.

Keep in mind that the summary you've read is one person's interpretation of what happened. I suspect the people named therein, especially Airship Ballet, would describe it very differently if they wanted to discuss it in the public forums.

So I just reread the backstory that he wrote and edited in later. And I think (or rather hope) that most people understand that it's just his lone point of view on the matter. Reading through it, it feels quite different to how I remember events going down and I don't really appreciate having my name dragged through the mud but if he feels so inclined then that's his right I guess but i'll add my 2 cents to the conversation seeing as i'm being mentioned in the OP.

Of my experience with him in the early days he was a pretty nice guy, I quite liked him. But as time went on his toxic behaviour became more and more apparent and that eventuated in a blowup between us. I thought maybe I was a one time thing, but since then he has had a blow out with Springheel, and Airship Ballet, and Melan, etc etc.

Considering how many people have left The Dark Mod because of Bikerdude it is quite hard reading some of the comments in this thread. But I do understand it, from a public perspective he can be seen as almost a mod hero, but there is a lot of this story that has not been told in public. So basically you're only reading his public point of view without any of the backstory as to why (in his eyes) out of nowhere all of these people suddenly started acting mean to Bikerdude.

But there is a lot of this story that has not been told in public. So basically you're only reading his public point of view without any of the backstory as to why (in his eyes) out of nowhere all of these people suddenly started acting mean to Bikerdude.

There is nothing or no one stopping anyone giving alternative opinions or sides here, and the above two posts just encapsulate part of the issue.

@TDM Team, just take a group vote and decide once and for all whether you want me here or not.

Up until now I never saw the spoiler in Bikerdude's first post (which I assume was edited in some time later). I am aware that this was written by Bikderdude and thus has to be quite one sided, but being on this forum for a couple of years now, I think I know the people here as well as one can in a forum (never having met any of these people personally) and I know some of the quirks of the people. And from what I have gathered many of the most active members are also quite unique (which is the best description I can find, even though it does not really hit home). Springheel can come on quite strong "defending" the mod from what he sees as criticism (be it justified or not), Judith (who is relatively new, but still very active) can seem to be quite condescending regarding quality of models and textures, Arship Ballet was often quite passive aggressive, etc. so it was no wonder that there were to be frictions between the people involved. I never knew how deep the wounds went, but I am not really surprised, to be honest. I find it very sad, that things developed as they did and I think that many things could have been avoided if people would have talked to each other from the start, but sometimes this also does not help. From what I have gathered Bikerdude never wanted to step on any feet, but did so (and repeatedly) anyway, so I respected his decision to leave. Still, I think his not leaving completely is not a bad thing as long as he can restrain himself from dashing forward in various things; and not having an admistratory role may help in this regard.

This from a person whom Bikerdude helped (in not mod realted issues). I think he really wants to be helpful, but sometimes does too much, which then backfires. I would be very glad if this community would get along as well as possible, regardless of the differences that may arise. As I said: It helps if people actually adress issues with the person him/herself rather than talking behind the back. This only makes things worse. If the person does not respond to any mitigation, this is no use, of course, but it does not hurt to try.

• Like 1

I have just read the hidden paragrah Bikerdude added to his first posting and just want to say one thing: Bikerdude, please try to get SteveL to come back! After you apologized to everyone else here, maybe you can work it out with him too...

• Like 3

It seems I missed most of the drama, but if the worst thing Biker did was come on a bit strong trying to improve other people's maps, I'd say he's doing pretty well.

I wonder how many people have been around long enough to remember oDDity? Perhaps just Springheel and SneaksieDave at this point. That guy was quite possibly the best 3D modeller in the world, but holy shit he had the social skills of an electrified cheesegrater. Personally I found him entertaining, but a model of tact and diplomacy he was not.

We had another guy who had to be shown the door after trying to launch a coup and promote himself to art director simply because he decided his own somewhat average skills were superior to those of everyone else.

Someone else joined, contributed pretty much nothing, continually complained about being victimised in some incomprehensible way, then ragequit with an equally incomprehensible rant about how the mod team was shit.

Someone offered to help, then flew off the handle and quit after a team member used bad language to complain about the forum software (I think it was a communications issue, and he assumed the bad language was aimed at him).

And those are just the ones I can remember, from this particular mod. Parts of the open-source programming community are much worse (assuming you don't actually enjoy drama, which I'm sure some people do). I pity the poor sods who have to work on Linux kernel development. One of the last messages I read from the kernel mailing list involved Linus Torvalds literally telling someone to "shut the fuck up!".

• Like 2

You know, i don't know who to blame for what here, but, i always noticed that, at the point things may appear to beceome too important in the online world, it's healthy to take a step back, and realize that the world online will keep turning, with or without your presence. From what i can tell, things here have gone wrong because some people are just too full of themselves.

And, as we're already at it: I know it's not a nice thing to say, but, i knew pretty much from day one Airship Ballet appeared here that there were some personal issues involved. Pretty much screamed at me. The way she was very offensive, while getting very defensive when someone got too personal, or upfront was pretty obvious. Dunno what happened to her, but, surely some bad, bad things. Not that that would excuse acting like that.

Anyway, i can only say that Bikerdude is a vital part of the modding community for me. I like almost all of his maps, and, especially, the city design has always been very, very nice. Already a shame that all that work was lost. Probably would have been better to take a step back for a while, and then come back. I often have some issues with other members in other forums, and, it's really not worth such a drastic step as completely going away. If you take a look at what the respective people do, you will also often see that they get themselves frequently into "trouble", so, it may not even be a personal thing. Even though i understand it was here.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

I pity the poor sods who have to work on Linux kernel development. One of the last messages I read from the kernel mailing list involved Linus Torvalds literally telling someone to "shut the fuck up!".

That might have been this post about how he really disagrees with some ARM developer, who just decided to completely ignore the sacred no-user-space-breakage rule. Completely reasonable reaction by Linus in my view. He really doesn't do it that often. Every few years, he has to remind someone, that it is either following the rules or beeing thrown out of official Linux kernel development. I actually like Linus' direct and to-the-point style of communication. If i where a kernel developer, i would probably like to work with him because he seems to keep his turf clean and prevents sloppyness from creeping into the code base.

TDM really is a "safe space" compared to almost all other places on the Internet i've been. And there is nothing wrong with that...

But forgiveness and accepting the faultyness of human communication (especially if it is asynchronous), might probably go a long way to prevent future repeats of the pattern (don't know, how much contributors left over minor comunication stuff already - but the topic seems to come up from time to time). Reading more LKML might actually help too (but only if the people do it that would otherwise have to leave or get someone removed).