The Dark Mod Forums

project vs non-project

Springheel

Does anyone map using the "project" method described here? http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Startpack_Mappers%27_Guide#Project_versus_Non-Project.3F

I've always used the non-project method. I'm interested in trying to do it the "project" way, but doesn't that require creating a .pk4 every time you want to test your map?

• Like 1

I recently was brought over to the project method. But no you actually can keep all the files loose (while still in the same hierarchy). You shouldn't have to create a PK4 from it, at least I know I don't on my current mission.

The upside is you know where you're going to find new assets (easier) since it's all contained under a single folder. I tend to like to share projects around a lot to get things tested, so I'm trying to look at a method for quickly batch copying edited files to a local repository. Or at the very least a local version control app that I can tag files once in and then run the app to collect any recently changed versions. I recently had overwritten the wrong mtr file by accident and am still kicking myself over the mistake. Not meaning to derail your topic any, but the batch version control felt relevant.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I don't use either as described, since they both require having everything under the darkmod folder.

I can't do that, since the possibility exists that I--as a developer--might need to wipe my darkmod folder. I don't want to accidentally erase any WIPs I have underway.

Instead, I keep my work away from the darkmod folder (it's even on a different disk), and have DR and TDM shortcuts set up to make it easy to test.

When it comes time to test briefings and shops, I'll create a pk4 and drop it into the darkmod/fms folder, and start it with TDM the way any player would. Since I'm prolly closer to releasing at that time, the "inconvenience" of having to create a pk4 is minimal; I'm going to be doing it soon enough anyway.

Another advantage of keeping the darkmod folder and the WIP folder away from each other is that I can test the WIP with any version of TDM w/o having to copy the WIP folder structure into the darkmod folder of the version I want to test with.

• Like 1

But no you actually can keep all the files loose (while still in the same hierarchy). You shouldn't have to create a PK4 from it,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then...how do you get TDM to recognize it as something that can be installed from the New Mission menu? I have a maps folder and I have a starting.txt file that points to the correct map name, but nothing shows up in the New Mission list. The wiki says, "You can install your map project as the current FM" but doesn't explain how.

Yes, you copy the startmap folder to the fms folder, install the mission, keep it installed, and then you go about changing all the description files, the title, etc. You then have the startmap file to edit and start creating your own geometry in there. Eventually you erase all of the original stuff you didnt use. All the new custom files (materials, textures, etc), go inside the customised startmap folder, which is now your mission's. Thats what I did, back in the day.

• Like 1

I use the project method and keep everything in darkmod/fms/mymap. I include certain working files (3d models and textures) inside my fms in something like "models/md5/working_files". I then remove them when packaging it up.

You shouldn't have to mess with .pk4s until you're ready to package it all up. You can leave everything in open folders inside darkmod/fms/yourfms. You do however have to install your mod in tdm. I have two installs of tdm (one for my project and one for playing)

As far as I know your need these files to install your mod in tmd.

Inside darkmod/fms/yourfms:

darkmod.txt -This is what the shows up in the fm install screen. (I think you need to put something here in order for the FM to work)

install_splash.tga - This image appears behind your install screen info and needs to be there ( i think)

readme.txt -

startingmap.txt - Put the name of your map in the first line (without the .map)

and

fms/yourfms/maps

fms/yourfms/xdata

and of course any other folders your might have / textures /model /scripts / ect.

Not sure if it will work for everyone, but this seems to work okay for me.

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 3

I use the non-project method for the most part, and the project method getting close to the end, basically from betatesting onwards.

Even working non-project, I still keep periodically keep the pk4 folder structure with everything in it and test to make sure it's working. Like every time I'd add a new file, a script or custom asset, I'll put it in a pk4 in addition to in the game folder just so I don't lose track of it, and test that it's all working.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

darkmod.txt -This is what the shows up in the fm install screen. (I think you need to put something here in order for the FM to work)

This was the one I was missing. Or rather, I had it, but I hadn't added a "Title" field--that's the field that shows up in the list of available missions.

I usually work like this:

1) first work on the .map in darkmod/maps. If other files are generated, they are stored under darkmod folder (like darkmod/guis, etc)

2) once the .map is done and I move to doing briefing, etc, I package the mission as .pk4 and install it as a normal fm. I move all the unnecessary subfolders out from darkmod folder.

3) I unpack the .pk4 into the darkmod/fms/mymap folder and I delete the .pk4.

4) finishing touches are done in project mode.

Sort of best of both worlds. I go into project mode when I get the most benefit from doing so.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I use the project method and keep everything in darkmod/fms/mymap. I include certain working files (3d models and textures) inside my fms in something like "models/md5/working_files". I then remove them when packaging it up.

You shouldn't have to mess with .pk4s until you're ready to package it all up. You can leave everything in open folders inside darkmod/fms/yourfms. You do however have to install your mod in tdm. I have two installs of tdm (one for my project and one for playing)

As far as I know your need these files to install your mod in tmd.

Inside darkmod/fms/yourfms:

install_splash.tga - This image appears behind your install screen info and needs to be there ( i think)

readme.txt -

startingmap.txt - Put the name of your map in the first line (without the .map)

and

fms/yourfms/maps

fms/yourfms/xdata

and of course any other folders your might have / textures /model /scripts / ect.

Not sure if it will work for everyone, but this seems to work okay for me.

Yup, I have the setup above basically from the beginning, as it's much more convenient.

That video is slightly outdated but that's how I configured my mission folder:

Also, you don't need two TDM installs, more like two game shortcuts. The one I have for testing has +set fs_currentfm command in it, and the one for playing other FMs doesn't, that's it.

Edited by Judith

I use the project setup. Each FM is simple placed in its respective folder under darkmod/fms. There is no need to pack things up. The whole packaging thing is only there to save harddisk space. It isn't required. You can see this in one of my first Let'S Map videos, although iirc the first ones were in german.

It is a much better way of working imho. You don't have to search your files together when attempting to ship your fm, because they were in the right spot to begin with, and you cannot screw up you tdm installment, as all you do will only effect the fm you are working on, not everything else.

Btw.: only the darkmod.txt file is needed to get TDM to recognize your fm. The install_splash.tga and readme.txt are optional and startingmap.txt is only needed once you want the mission to be startable via the menu. As long as you start via the console it is not needed either.

As for the 'best of both worlds' argument: I don't see any benefit of working in non-project mode. It is actually the opposite. I've experienced a few betatests were missions had issues due to missing assets the mapper forgot to put in the pk4. This cannot happen when working in project mode, as said. So from my personal vie the non-project approach only provides downsides, but no benefit. Unless something comes into your mind which would be good about the non-project setup.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I would say that the benefit of non-project way is that the mapper is not that committed to the single project yet. Preparing the project folder is work, so if one wants to casually map here and there and have a bunch of files in the darkmos/maps folder to experiment with, non-project approach is better.

At some point the mapper gotta start the serious work and at that stage it is good to go into project mode.

This works for me quite well.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I would say that the benefit of non-project way is that the mapper is not that committed to the single project yet. Preparing the project folder is work, so if one wants to casually map here and there and have a bunch of files in the darkmos/maps folder to experiment with, non-project approach is better.

1. Create a folder under darkmod/fms, create a subfolder maps and copy a darkmod.txt file from another fm and alter its content. This takes you less then a minute. Work, though, but not that much ;)
  2. This is only true if you are only restricting yourself to experiment with map creation. Once you start trying out scripts, custom materials or altering gameplay mechanics you may not want to have your files in the root folder, as they will influence all fms, not only yours. And even if you don't it isn't a big difference whether you store your maps under darkmod/maps or under darkmod/fms/mystuff/maps, but you get used to work with the project setup from the beginning on.

The last point in note #2 is also why I wouldn't recommend new mappers to use the starting map. Surely it is a bit more work to find out where the entities for weapons, playertools etc... are stored and which spawnargs control there settings (like ammo amount or item count), but you get much more convenient with this kind of work if you actually have to do it. Shortcuts aren't always the best way to go imho.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter