The Dark Mod Forums

Potential Free Assets?

Aosys

So I was just making that little 1/10 step of selecting, cropping white edges and aligning textures that is such a breeze to do.

Don't mean to undermine your effort, but yeah, that's like a drop in an ocean of things needed to make a good texture, not to mention a material (so +2 other textures that need to be tested in-game). Links will do, thanks. Also bear in mind, that photos that have overblown highlights, pitch black shadows or generally shadows from intensive directional light are not good texture candidates: you can't do much with those, unless you have a RAW file.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have a really nice Thatched roof texture & material file? Also a rough old red timber beam ie with knots as in hewn branch? We have

a couple thatched roof textures, but they are not very HD and over a roof scale, they tend to look very blurry.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.cgbookcase.com/textures/

Also, Poliigon have recently updated their license to forbid use in commercial and "open source" projects. Although I don't think they can legally pull the rug like that (on content they offered before changing the license) I'd still advise against using it.

It's a shame they did that, I can't help but feel it's a sleazy attempt to wrangle cash out of people.

Edited by LDAsh
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thousands of free assets from „What Remains of Edith Finch” available to public. Not sure how feasible would it be in TDM.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/what-remains-of-edith-finch-joins-the-unreal-marketplace-collection

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I converted a furniture asset from a free UE4 game to idtech 4 some time ago, just to see if I could and it worked. It was some time ago, so I don't remember very well what I did, but I don't think it was much work, at lest compared to making the asset from scratsh... first I converted the mesh from UE4 format to fbx using Noesis, then used Modo to convert the fbx to .lwo. 

About the textures, what I remember, is that the model I picked, used a PBR system where the specular map was included on a channel of another texture, I don't know now what texture it was but I do recall it add a strange color. As far as I remember, all I did, was open the UE4 texture in photoshop and extract the specular map from the channel. And that was it, I think the diffuse and normal were just the same has the ones used in idtech4, don't remenber if I add to invert the green channel or not of the normal map. 

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

IIRC, if you didn't make an asset yourself, you won't be able to export it from an unreal package. Or at least there's an option to lock this. Besides, the market place description reads in bold: *Licensed for use with the Unreal Engine only.*

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peter_spy said:

IIRC, if you didn't make an asset yourself, you won't be able to export it from an unreal package. Or at least there's an option to lock this. Besides, the market place description reads in bold: *Licensed for use with the Unreal Engine only.*

Yes I know what you mean and totally agree, I don't use them my self for that reason, only did it because the game was a free game and I wanted to see if it was possible to do it. But yes using assets from the Unreal Engine Store is not the best of ideas for anyone not using UE, you are clearly breaking a law by using them and that is a dangerous situation for anyone doing it and for TDM itself, it is already pressing on dangerous ground by how similar it is to Thief. Also most of them imo, will not feel right in a medieval steam punk setting, like the one of TDM.

But facts are facts and nothing prevents anyone from ripping assets from a UE4 game, there's always a way.

BTW imo by doing this stuff, Epic is pretty much giving a hard blow to other engines, even free games like TDM suffer because of this, why because many people, even those with no intention of making comercial games, will flock to UE4 because of the amount of free high quality assets they provide. This starves all other engines, mods, etc, of users.  

This is also a double edge sword, in one side, you have so much free, high quality assets that you can make a full game in a relative fast time, in another side your game will look just like a copy of many other existent games using the same assets and that is not good in my book.  

• Like 1

I remember there was a tool back in DX9 days, that was able to rip all models and textures from games. You basically ran it in the background, and captured assets the same way you do ingame screenshots. It captured everything in your view frustum. This was fun, for shits and giggles at least, but actually using it anywhere was out of question ;) I think it was made by some Russian guy, but it got pulled down at some point.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1

IOW copyrasts ruined the word "free".

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson