The Dark Mod Forums

FM mothballed and unfished from 2010

bobrpggamer

Hey its been a while since I was here with all the model import problems. I have decided to show off some of my work to just find a way to say hey I did this but it was also unfinished, to make a video and be done.

So as you can imagine 7 years ago was a lot of time from my experience, I do not want to edit anything, but would like to load up a map, and I have run into problems with that, I found the latest version of my map through literally 2000 saved maps (I do this to go back and find a map that I may go back to in a problem with the latest 10 saves) anyway the map I found comes up with "cannot find aas.rat or something and tried again an got a saved to map proc or something.

Does anyone know why an un-leaking map would show these things compiling but not start the map itself.

Thank You.

• Like 1

You can try to delete all files with the same name as the map you tried, except the .map file itself (or maybe just copy them into a different folder, in case you don't want to lose anything) and dmap again. This solves AAS-problems quite often.

Another question: Do you have the latest version of DR and TDM? Just to exclude the possibility that there is other that might be out of date.

• Like 1

Another question: Do you have the latest version of DR and TDM? Just to exclude the possibility that there is other that might be out of date.

I have - Back in 2010 edited and ran the Maps on:

Darkradiant 1.40 x86

Dark Mod1.02

I just bought Doom 3 on Steam for $5.00 and its as undated as it could get.

I just downloaded the update from your website. Man I really apreciate yor help. I posted a video on youtube with the Through the Looking Glass forums under Thief 3 Editors Guild, and got no response which is cool until I asked them to change my typo one thread topic, and they have not fixed it or given me a way to fix it myself.

If you want to see what I started with Thief 3 editor and wanted to do with Darkmod here's the link:

The quality downgraded by 1/2 on the upload and it was hardly compressed in my editor. The Darkmod map or mission is the same II just did not get as far.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Is there a way to delete the AAS entities for whatever they are my memory from 2010 in gone and this is all new. I do not beleive I have a AI entity anywhere so there would be nor reason to have a navmesh at all if that's what they are called.

I have no idea inmy map and its not small, and I envisioned 3/4 more to go.

Here's a snap of the wire frame:

post-3455-0-90445700-1499822632_thumb.jpg

post-3455-0-03810400-1499822641_thumb.jpg

The Thief 3 FM is not a big deal, it's just something I made as soon as upload it no one will post after it, I don't understand.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Sorry guys if I was paying attention to the wiki I would not have Dmap start the map, i would have used MAP . Anyway I will make a video of it and post it here if anyone wants to see a unfinished map.

Also I have 2000 or more maps - I save very often just habit - and the last map I found is incomplete and I will just stop there.

Edited by bobrpggamer
  • Like 1

Sorry guys if I was paying attention to the wiki I would not have Dmap start the map, i would have used MAP . Anyway I will make a video of it and post it here if anyone wants to see a unfinished map.

Also I have 2000 or more maps - I save very often just habit - and the last map I found is incomplete and I will just stop there.

You can also use "testmap mapname", this will dmap the map and start it at the same time, if i'm remembering correctly this one ignores leaks so don't use it for final testing.

• Like 1

Thank you for the help but I have seen 3 imperfections on my Thief 3 FM, and I take way too long to work on a Dark Mod map, I am a perfectionist nad just don't have it in me to work on anything right now.

and like I said I lost a month or 2 of work when I looked for my most recent map out of 3000 of them, just searching and loading by date and also size.

Thank you for the helpful Ideas though.

Judith, are you the same Judith in the TTLG forums? Can you remember my post in 2008 for passing the project to someone to complete. Well Cracked Gear did nothing with It, so I decided to do a filming of before I lose the files somehow.

Here's the post:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119324&highlight=adopt

I am going to post a video of about a full on month of about 10 hours a day. For some reason I lost about 1 more month, I had a guy sitting in the generator room, there was a secret door on the sewer wall at the unlit torch. and a bunch more in the sewer entrance and secret door as well as a sign about Bafford's illegal smuggling of art. as well as the overall lighting in the courtyard.

from my maps I found the courtyard was made first and then moved to the entrance. I liked the courtyard I did In Thief 3 Edit because for some good reason the arches that I found as a static mesh with the editor, fit perfectly, so I did the same with DM and made them or found them or they may be brushes I don't remember.

It would not be do to save space:

post-3455-0-92873700-1500008096_thumb.jpg

I am a perfectionist so I spend an entire day to add smudges on the base of the sewer and making sure the UV textures are perfect. I think I also edited the lamps in the corridor of the sewer to get the strange shadows in between the columns. It really makes me wonder why the latest maps are not in the folder I saved since 2010.

Anyway it's just a small video of work mainly the sewer entrance:

https://youtu.be/0aYnwCQ7q3g

Now remember I made and Imported most columns the railings in the elevator and the archway in the hallways of the courtyard. I think most of the construction was made by me and imported into the editor.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Yeah, that's me. But I haven't touched T3Ed in months. I don't have it installed, or have any T3Ed-related resources on my HDD right now.

IMO it's better to stick to TDM. While the editor isn't as easy and UX-oriented as in Unreal engines, at least the stuff you do work 99% of the time. While things like coding or writing shaders and scripts can be frustrating, once you learn it, it works, and you do it much faster. That’s better than constantly thinking of workarounds for something, and that's what you’ll be doing in T3Ed most of the time.

Btw. why do you keep all the files? If I want to track progress, I make screenshots, otherwise I keep files from last two months or so.

Btw. why do you keep all the files? If I want to track progress, I make screenshots, otherwise I keep files from last two months or so.

I have two games I worked on and I figured I would just save them on a disk, or another disk and now 2 disks. I have 2 spare drives on a Esata Port multiplying external enclosures. It takes little space and I figured maybe someday I will get back at it, but those days may be over I don't know so I made a couple of movies out of Thief II and TDM. before like you I may just delete them to save space. a lot of time and effort went into them as well making it just important to put together and see if anyone likes this or that, who knows. Dark Mod and Radiant is 37GB, T3edit is 13.5GB this is with lot of extracted and unnecessary content, but that's all in folder that I have not used since T3Edit was unusable in Windows 7.

Dark Radiant, is a very good editor, but the learning curve is way higher than that of Thief3edit, the one thing that kills my creative side is scripting, primarily real Python scripting, the scripting in T3Edit is basic: "if this is this and or equal to this then do this, if this is not that or equal to that then goto line 20" well not exactly but logically anyway. That would be the extent of my C64 basic programing experience back in 1988.

Oh and I forgot to mention that my Day of Defeat Source map that was 4 - 6 months in and about a year to go, steam decided to delete my map files. It was my first game editor and I was checking everything in it and all textures and models had to be just right, so maybe it was a blessing, I don't know.

Just so you know GOG's Thief 3 works on Windows 7 & and I think Windows 8 and 10. I tried my FM in VMware Workstation 12.5 with a Windows XP install and the frames rates were practically unplayable, but then I doubt VMware Workstation is meant for gaming.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Dark Mod and Radiant is 37GB

:o

Christ on a bike. I mean, if you're talking game assets. Stock TDM assets are below 3 GB in total.

Yeah, while a lot of things in T3Ed were broken, scripting included, I liked the system itself. Scripting was pretty simple but versatile logic syntax with bunch of options to choose from, enough for most cases. And the major advantage of interface is that you can try out and experiment with everything at your disposal. When you have to write scripts, you're limited to what you know. And in the beginning, you know nothing.

Edit:

I had T3Ed running on Win 7 without aby problems, I had to run 3dsmax 5.1 on WinXP vmware though.

Edited by Judith

I just found a DVD rip in the folder, lame I am sure. I also have a ridiculous folder structure for Dark Mod:

post-3455-0-76038500-1500083960_thumb.jpg

The Doom 3 game folder - still running after 7 years. If I was low on disk space I would have spotted this, but I have 19 hard drives of which 16 are 3TB HGST drives, most of these are in 4 quad bay Esata external enclosure's, and 2 are SSD drives and 1 iVelociraptor 10,000 RPM 1TB drive (my game drive).

I am very anal about my folder structures on my every day drives, I capitalize every word of the folders when I can and break them Into logical sub-folder's that I re-arrange when needed, but dark mod and thief 3 edit are in a folder that I has other items that I hardly look at ever:

post-3455-0-52713000-1500083344_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobrpggamer