The Dark Mod Forums

Compiling SVN Version on Linux

DasCapschen

I'm a bit confused about compiling the SVN version of TDM on linux.

As far as I understood, after installing prerequisites one should simply run the `linuxBuild.sh`, and while scons produces `thedarkmod` executable, the script also references a `gamex86-base.so` and a `tdm_game02.pk4` file, both of which do not exist before, nor are they created during compilation...

So is the script simply outdated and these these files no longer needed or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

Just a quick question:

Have you played TDM yet? If not, why compile code, if you can just download the binaries using the updater?

(or set the needed folders using the tdm rpm/deb packages)

Have a read on tdm compilation guide and please do a search on this forum for this subject.

you will find topics such like compiling-tdm-204-under linux.

Please compare that info with the wiki article and

please post your findings here, so we can add this to the article.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Yes I have played TDM yet, I was compiling the SVN version because I wanted to see if I could help development of TDM.

I have read the compilation guide, but that just tells me to run the linuxBuild.sh.

I'd really just like to know if gamex86-base.so and tdm_game02.pk4 should be created by the compilation process or not, because I did not run into any error messages, yet they are missing although linuxBuild.sh mentions them.

Should it be an error that these files are missing I would investigate why that is and post my finding here :)

• Like 1

I have read the compilation guide, but that just tells me to run the linuxBuild.sh.

I'd really just like to know if gamex86-base.so and tdm_game02.pk4 should be created by the compilation process or not, because I did not run into any error messages, yet they are missing although linuxBuild.sh mentions them.

I think we should remove this linuxBuild.sh.

I did not update it after last changes.

I have no idea why is it needed at all, given that scons file can run any python code itself.

Please build TDM by invoking scons directly.

Simply go into source directory, and run "scons" or "scons --help".

UPDATE: This command should work:

scons BUILD="release"
  • Like 1

Yes thanks, the scons build runs just fine, as I said I just didn't know if the linuxBuild.sh was up-to-date, apparently not :)

Now I can actually go and find and report bugs, as before I couldn't be sure I wasn't the problem.

Thanks for your answer! :D

• 11 months later...

I have question regarding 2.06 on SVN.

There is a directory called 'release2.06' in the source tree that also contains the sources. Why is it there and which do I need to build the mod?

Thanks.

That should give you the same 2.06 source files as on our Downloads page:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/sources/thedarkmod.2.06.src.7z

If you want to be ahead of 2.06, the main SVN sources would do that:

https://svn.thedarkmod.com/publicsvn/darkmod_src/trunk

I've been compiling Windows binaries for the VBO Beta from that.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/downloads/tdm-206-vertex-buffer-beta

the VBO beta has the latest glprogs and GUI files from SVN too.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks.

That should give you the same 2.06 source files as on our Downloads page:

Isn't that was version control is for? Just curious.

If you want to be ahead of 2.06, the main SVN sources would do that:

How stable is trunk? Does it break or fail to compile often?

We always make a branch for each release but the last few releases we haven't done the whole

"merge back into trunk" game. Instead we've just branched at the end of the cycle.

Trunk is pretty stable now. The big issue right now is some strange behavior around SSE\SIMD detection.

You can force it to prevent "accidentally detecting AVX support in CPU's that don't have it" via "com_tempAllowAVX 0"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

How stable is trunk? Does it break or fail to compile often?

The latest trunk does not compile on Linux due to latest Duzenko changes.

Overally, trunk is very unstable starting from the end of 2.06.

Things are improving steadily, but unfortunately in a "two step forward, one step back" fashion (if I'm not mistaken in the ratio) :(

If you want to compile latest SVN, you can try rev 7532.

Revision 7532 compiles and seems to run fine. I haven't updated the data files yet though.

The machine I'm currently using is a notebook with an Intel Celeron (N2840@2.16GHz) on Archlinux with the Mesa OpenGL drivers. Not really suited for gaming but it is playable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still trying to compile this on Arch Linux. Should I post every issue here or rather commit my fixes to SVN?

For example: This does not compile:

#define idQueue( type, next )    idQueueTemplate<type, (int)(size_t)&(((type*)NULL)->next)>

=>

#define idQueue( type, next )    idQueueTemplate<type, (int)(offsetof (type, next) >

• 2 weeks later...