The Dark Mod Forums

Status of Steam Greenlight?

Bikerdude

I really don't see the benefit of getting TDM on GOG... rather pay for Google Ads, i think that's much more expedient, if you want to bring TDM to a bigger public. Steam would have been nice, but, yeah...

Will not hurt to try going through GOG as an alternative. They also are very similar by their values to the conception of TDM. DRM free and all that jazz.

The problem with Steam was Steamworks and how it does something with TDM's license, in addition the challenge to make the code compatible.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Will not hurt to try going through GOG as an alternative. They also are very similar by their values to the conception of TDM. DRM free and all that jazz.

The problem with Steam was Steamworks and how it does something with TDM's license, in addition the challenge to make the code compatible.

The thing is, you won't reach nearly as many people that way. As you say, it won't hurt. The question is whether it is worth the (unknown) effort. Maybe GOG also requires that the content licensing info is being properly stated (if i understood the Steam stuff concerning TDM correctly).

@Springheel: It seems they do. Check here: https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity&price=free

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

Does GOG host free games? I've never used it.

Sure. "Beneath a Steel Sky", "Lure of the Temptress", "Tyrian 2000", "Teenagent".

There might be more that I am not aware of.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

The thing is, you won't reach nearly as many people that way. As you say, it won't hurt. The question is whether it is worth the (unknown) effort. Maybe GOG also requires that the content licensing info is being properly stated (if i understood the Steam stuff concerning TDM correctly).

@Springheel: It seems they do. Check here: https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity&price=free

True. But got to start somewhere I guess.

And you found more than me in the free category.

badge?user=andarson

IIRC they also host Thief 2 New Dark and everybody is happy to be mum about the obvious licensing issue. But again IIRC they just weren't responding to our inquiries. It wasn't us that was hesitating. There's a thread or posts on it somewhere if someone wants to look it up, although possibly in the admin forum.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That was my understanding too.

badge?user=andarson

They never responded, I think it was Biker who had tried contacting them.

Yeah, I have the feeling they are either not caring sometimes or overwhelmed by the normal games. I suggested two Ukrainian unterdog games to them a long time ago and never got a response as well. Maybe someone should try again and show some persistance ;)!

• Like 2

maybe they consider the game to be too new to be put on a site about 'good old games' = gog. or maybe they consider it not to be a game as its a game editor with a launcher that run player made maps. or maybe someone from 'thief 2 new dark' put in a bad word, there are still some over at ttlg who hate 'the dark mod' with a vengence that doesn't make much sense.

the source code for a lot of those free games on gog is on git, not all of them though.

maybe they have problems with it being doom 3 converted to a thief type game as in its a total convert therefore not an original game, new dark would be considered an extension to thief 2, or maybe they think the dark mod and new dark is the same game so they already have it.

It's a violation to distribute protected IP, so I believe they just want to shield themselves from liability, and they're more risk-adverse as Steam, or anyway don't have the same brigade of lawyers to double-check these things. So a game like Darkmod just wouldn't get in the door. That was my first impression.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I suppose GoG wants the same as Steam Greenlight, which is a single responsible legal entity that can be sued if it turns out there is some unlicensed IP in the game. It's not that they necessarily believe there is such unlicensed IP, but they just don't want to carry the risk themselves.

It's a violation to distribute protected IP, so I believe they just want to shield themselves from liability, and they're more risk-adverse as Steam, or anyway don't have the same brigade of lawyers to double-check these things.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, considering that's a pretty common theme for people declining DRM.

It would be nice to see tdm on steam, because the possibilities.

But how about publishing TDM on itch.io? (creator faq)

And what to publisch?

(we need a topic to decided that)

We need to create a new version of the "full standalone" package again (as a base package), like the one on moddb.

Maybe i have the time to write a installer for in the package (a simple select-standalonezippackage-guiding-installer).

But not necessary for steam and other client-download sites.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

It's a violation to distribute protected IP, so I believe they just want to shield themselves from liability, and they're more risk-adverse as Steam, or anyway don't have the same brigade of lawyers to double-check these things.

As I already wrote, GOG did not question me one bit about IP when they included my Unofficial Patch into their Bloodlines version. Maybe it's just about hitting the right guy and you should try again!

• Like 2

It's not the IP per se, I think, it's that we're (from their perspective) a TC of another game, which is apparently different from a patch of a game I guess, because I see them releasing fan patches from games all the time. But in those cases, I have the idea that the patch is tacitly condoned by the IP holder of the game (since it's still just their game itself being released; the patch is supporting content in that case), which isn't the case of our total conversion & id. And I don't think it has to do with actual worry about the IP rights, only that they don't have a team of lawyers like Steam so they just go the more lazy route (like patch = ok. total conversion = we don't know so don't bother). This is all just my guess though. If someone wants to follow up with them, though, by all means...

• Like 1