The Dark Mod Forums

I had an idea

NeonsStyle

Heyo,

I had this idea while I was asleep last night which seems pretty cool idea.

There are places in the TDM universe that seem to be common, like Eldin woods,

or places in Bridgeport, or even civic buildings, places away from there that should

have a sort of a common or standard look, to give a sense of place and unity of

the greater world.

It'd be cool to say have group maps of agreed areas that sort of define a place, like Eldin woods in Alberic Curse,

or some of the great buildings that have been made. It'd be great if there was a library of those that could be used

to create a sense of recognition of a place. Like walking past a civic building that everyone knows it's function.

Or picking something out unique of different places like Braeden.

Not sure if I'm making myself clear. We have this greater map in our head of the empire, but it'd be great if there

were also common places we all recognised from one map to another which created immersion, that just screams yeh

this is right, bit like Eldin woods on Alberics Curse. That place just fits. It's easy to see places connected to it, or around

it.

It's late, and I don't think I"m making myself clear, but if u get what I'm saying what do u all think about it?

Neon

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

@NS, are you talking about recycling environments from existing maps, perhaps with new stories, or newly-opened areas in them?

There have been discussions in the past about someone creating a map of Bridgeport showing where all the missions take place, but I think the outcome of the discussion was that each mission author should feel free to create whatever tickles their fancy. Bridgeport is a big city, with lots of places to go and lots of stories to tell.

For a new mapper, being able to include reusable 'parts' from other maps would certainly cut down on the time to build and release a mission.

Some authors would be open to this, many wouldn't. ("My story was a unique story in a unique place.")

I don't know if you can achieve consensus for environment-sharing, but you could prolly find an author or two who'd be willing to let you place your story in their environment. You just have to approach them.

Yes, sort of grayman. I'm talking more of just re-using a landmark, or an icon of a place. Like the look of Eldin woods in Alberics Curse, but not exactly

the same, more just the look of it. However with a landmark that is a non enterable building, reusing that so it becomes a landmark in the universe.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I think it'd be really cool if some fan made a kind of guidebook to Bridgeport and the Empire, with maps and screeshots and descriptions, and made it like a nice coffee table book you could distribute as a pdf. That's how you get people to rally around a shared idea of the universe, and you don't even need to be a mapper.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think it'd be really cool if some fan made a kind of guidebook to Bridgeport and the Empire, with maps and screeshots and descriptions, and made it like a nice coffee table book you could distribute as a pdf. That's how you get people to rally around a shared idea of the universe, and you don't even need to be a mapper.

Yeh it'd be great. I'd like to go bit further than just a guide, but the odd actual non-enterable prefabs of consistent building available in prefabs to be used with an appropriate name.

Things like Council, A common cathedral/church, there's a monestary at Braeden if I remember rightly, (I don't think you'd want an asset for that, but more a visual guide from

what has come before).

I'm always happy to share anything I do, be it maps or prefabs. Usually though I like to use them first ;)

That only works if you want to locate your mission in these specific TDM locations with these specific TDM landmarks, which implies that the mission is located in a system of prefabbed TDM streets with outer-buildings too, and perhaps the connections between these locations, for the sake of consistency and believability. How can you have a TDM landmark next to a bar in one mission, next to a graveyard in another, with no consistent street design and interconnection with other TDM landmarks?

I could never build a mission for such a setting because I'd need to go to school for half a year, first, just to get an idea of what I can't do vs what I have to do - nevermind what I could do.

Even if I wanted to refer to a mythology of such landmarks in some readables, I'd have to bow to the preconceptions of the module and grand-map makers who made the overarching game world of these particular landmarks, these locations, as being *important*.