The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3 Vulkan Renderer Released

DasCapschen

So, I'm not sure how much changes you have made to the renderer and it's integration with the rest of the engine, so I do not know if this is at all feasible even, but a Vulkan renderer for the Doom 3 Engine has been released Open Source and perhaps it would be a good idea to integrate this in the future.

Here's the article, it includes links to the Github Repo etc. :)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Doom3-Available

I understand that this might be quite an undertaking, and I do not at all expect this to be a feature in the near future, I just thought I'd share this information, and perhaps you could make use of it ^-^

• Like 1

Exciting times we live it seems. Don't know how prepared the current version of the game is for any changes like that.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Oh wow 500 FPS+ in some areas, that's just insane.

I wonder how difficult it would be or if it's even possible to bring these performance enhancements over to TDM.

Well I get 2000+fps right now in TDM in some areas, so that's not really impressive to me. However, the fact that Vulkan is brand new and anyone with old hardware (3+ years I believe) won't be able to use it.

Still, really cool!

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well I get 2000+fps right now in TDM in some areas, so that's not really impressive to me. However, the fact that Vulkan is brand new and anyone with old hardware (3+ years I believe) won't be able to use it.

In this case it's really kind of a bummer.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

If anyone is inclined to see how this fits into TDM, please do so IN ITS OWN BRANCH.

I don't want any more major changes to the trunk repository until after we make sure the last 6 months of engine changes are clean enough for a 2.06 release. We have a considerable amount to test as it is.

• Like 3

OOoooooo let's get it implemented. :D 2.06 maybe? That would allow much more complex scenes.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Unless it does something magical to number of cores used, or raising the number of DCs before the framerate goes down, which I doubt it will, not much will change for TDM. You already can have 2-3 M triangles per scene, as long as you have decent GPU and if you keep other stats down.

Still, really cool!

Well for me, FPS regularily drop below 60 in TDM, and I have quite a decent system (i7 3770k, AMD Rx480, 16GB Ram), but then again I'm playing on Linux which may be a problem.

Also just because FPS skyrocket in certain areas doesn't really mean anything if the average FPS isn't anywhere near that.

I also know that Vulkan isn't a magic bullet and bam! 500 more FPS everywhere you look. No, but it may just help enough to raise average FPS to or above a stable 60.

And yes, it really should be an option, should anyone decide to take a look at implementing this, so that the game stays compatible with older hardware, but newer hardware could still take advantage of Vulkan.

Still, really cool!

Vulkan is supported in any GCN based GPU from AMD even GCN 1.0, that means anyone with a HD 7000 GPU (that is a 2011 GPU) and up will be able to play with this. I'm not sure of one thing tho, how many TDM users have AMD cards.

Let me get this clear.

What exactly is the difference of a Vulcan Renderer, over what we currently have (OpenGL?), without getting all technical

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Let me get this clear.

What exactly is the difference of a Vulcan Renderer, over what we currently have (OpenGL?), without getting all technical

Vulkan (not Vulcan ;D) is a low level graphics API (close to the metal), OpenGL is a High Level API (hides many of the complexities of GPU's and CPU's), is akin to using Assembly language versus C++ .

Btw low level API's is what consoles use that is why they can do more with less.

Edited by HMart

Less CPU overhead. That's the key of Low Level (graphic) APIs.

More CPU time for AI.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

It's directed at anyone who wants to answer it. My take is that we get high FPS rates, but if that's all, we already have high FPS rates with cabalistic's commit from a week ago.

A low level API is not guaranty of higher frames per second, you can have a game run at both 60 fps on OpenGL and on Vulkan, the diference is that Vulkan can do more, in the same time frame that OpenGL renders a scene, so even tho both run at the same rate one has more stuff happening on screen than the other, hope this is clear enough.

I think what grayman is asking, is will Vulkan give us better or worse graphics. If it's better, how is it better? High fps is good and all, but not if the graphics are crap.

I think what grayman is asking, is will Vulkan give us better or worse graphics. If it's better, how is it better? High fps is good and all, but not if the graphics are crap.

CPU free time dedicated to other things.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

"Vulkan is a modern, low-level graphics API that greatly reduces CPU overhead, which potentially increases FPS, especially on systems with slower processors." - marketing blurb enough for release notes?

And it has no effect on graphics... and why should it? Vulkan doesn't bring new shaders, textures, models... it's an API...

• Like 2

It's worth noting any field tests I've seen of new software utilizing Vulkan had received serious performance boosts from it. Not sure how easy it would be to implement in our version of Doom 3, but I would really make that a consideration (at least down the road).

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything