The Dark Mod Forums

Halloween 2017

bobrpggamer

Rather than putting the titles in a hat, or a randomize program in my emulated C64 with basic.

I would like to know if anyone has a preference for horror games - Please no spoilers I can do my share of the accidentally so here's what I have (own):

Outlast 1
Amnesia
SOMA
Case Animatronoics
Dead Space 1

Lethe (similar to the Penumbra series)

any info would be nice and again please no spoilers!

Edited by bobrpggamer

Lol, I thought I was the only one that wrote emulated C64 Basic programs for little tasks like this.

I can't help you though. Those games are also on my to-play list. (except I've never heard of Case Animatronics. Have to look into it.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I can't help you though. Those games are also on my to-play list. (except I've never heard of Case Animatronics. Have to look into it.)

Welcome to the police department, where working late can lead to tragic consequences. You're John Bishop, a swamped-with-work detective who tirelessly carries out your investigations late into the night. But tonight you are pulled from your precious few hours of rest ,and a strange dream, by a mysterious call from an old “friend.” Turning your fight to find the truth into a fight to survive the night.

Your police department is left without electricity. The security system has been hacked. All exits are locked. But that is not the real problem.

Someone… something is following you. Red eyes shine from dark corners and the sound of shifting, clanking metal echoes through the once safe halls.. You know them simply as animatronics, but something unknown and horrifying is driving them. Figure out what is going on, survive the night, and remember - no one will care if you scream.

FEATURES

A tablet to watch the security cameras carefully. You will use a tablet to watch the security cameras, and you need to be seriously careful. Using the environment of the police station is the key to salvation and survival. Be quiet, be alert, move fast. Your only tools, the only things you can rely on, are your legs, your tablet, and a torch.

Hide & Sneak. Use closets and cabinets to sneak between animatronics and try to catch a silent breath.

Animatronics. The steel legs and arms will treat you well. Get ready to be confused by their abilities. Be prepared to react to the unexpected.

Figure out what’s happening. Explore the police department in search of explanations. Don’t forget to listen to the world around you and keep track of the changes around. The only one that can save your life, is you.

$9.99 on Steam

Soma is quiet good, although the story is a bit foreseeable towards the end. Nevertheless an entertaining game.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

From those I played Amnesia, Soma and a few minutes of dead space 1. Dead space 1 isn't for me but a lot of people seem to like it, arguing it manages a good balance of power fantasy action gameplay with horror. I didn't like it.

To me Amnesia is the one to go first. It's by far the best horror game I've ever played. Soma is pretty cool too! But it doesn't quite classify as horror though. It's tense and creepy and has a really cool plot. So I say SOMA second.

• Like 1

Which Amnesia? I found The Dark Descent to be far more engrossing than A Machine for Pigs.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Which Amnesia? I found The Dark Descent

Dark Decent, I don't think the other one is as good as the first, but I will try it someday.

You can easily skip Outlast. It's geniuinely scary at first, but you'll see throught smoke and mirrors soon enough, which is after an hour or two. After that, it's the same formula untill the end. I don't even remember what was at the end.

With so may good reviews you must be hard to impress.

2 of my favorite horror games are F.e.a.r. and Condemned Criminal Origins, but I played F.E.A.R 3 times and Condemned Criminal Origins twice - the gun-play in F.E.A.R. is the best I have played. Only amazing games I can play again and enjoy, two other games I can play over is Thief 1 & 2.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Not really, but somehow reviews ommit the fact that the game is way too formulaic for its length. First hour or two, those are pretty scary, but by then you know all the patterns and tricks the game throws at you, and it does so for another seven hours. There are better ways to invest your time IMO, like Soma is one of them. I recently started playing Hellblade, this has horror vibes too, and it looks like something quite fresh.

Edited by Judith

I recently started playing Hellblade, this has horror vibes too, and it looks like something quite fresh.

When I saw the trailer I felt sympathy for the girl in the game from her facial expressions, and that's hard to do in most games, her despair and helplessness really got to me. I think this called empathy in normal people. So yeah this will be something new to take in. Pleas tell me there is not Cinematic Cut Scenes very 5 - 15 minutes, this usually ruins games for me, a prime example of this is most Resident Evil's, The Evil Within, the Alan Wake serie.

EDIT: "I am Alive" (although in the case of "I am Alive" is that it was too limiting on gameplay and you had only one very specific way to get "from here to there" and if you died during that (and this has to be done perfectly) you would end up doing the same "from here to there" again.

I have so many steam games that I forgot I had Lethe, which is a Penumbra type game - almost exactly like the part I of Penumbra.

I also have so many games I get them mixed up "I am Alive" was the limiting games I was thinking of. I think Zombi was good but I stopped for some reason I do not remember.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I have been playing 7 Days to Die and this is my second attempt, the last time I played it it was a couple of years ago and I was slaughtered within 1 game day after 10 tries, so I must have missed something - and I did, it was patience and game settings.

I was so addicted last night I played for about 12 hours before my skin started to melt int my chair. Anyway I have always disliked at best Rogue RPGs, they are something that is addictive until you dies 10 times and you have to play anther 10 hours jut to get back to anywhere near where you were before you died.

I think it is just takes a while to understand how the game and crafting works and there are so may aspects to the game you really have to pay attention and check every resource and every way to craft this or that, plus skill points that I had no idea were there the last time I played. The point is that its a fun play without a story and it can be scary as you just found a chainsaw and you have all kinds of weapons and armor you really like and when you get ambushed you literally have to fight for your life or at least your bad ass chainsaw. If anyone finds this in a steam sale, it is worth it, just prepare to spend a couple of figuring it out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/

just don't drink from the river without boiling the water or you will get diarrhea as a negative affect, yeah this game is brutal to survive a couple of days until you play a long while.

Edited by bobrpggamer

7 Days to Die indead is a great crafting-oriented voxel game with surprisingly good graphics. It definitly is worth the time needed to learn to play it.

And it is has a somewhat softer perma-death as you are allowed to dies some tuimes in a row as you have enough vitality. You can craft a bed roll and place it somewhere to mark your respawn point. You only loose the carried items and some vitality on death (can be configured). So you do not have to start from scratch when dying.

And beware: Structural integrity of buildings is a thing in 7DtD.

Another great game of a completely different genre is Factorio...

You can build as high as you want. Structural integrity only covers the parts that do not form a pillar from bedrock right now. It depends on the materials used how far a floor may spread before needing supports.

Get building materials quicker by undermining high buildings (debris is way faster to mine than intact walls and floors).

• Like 1

Get building materials quicker by undermining high buildings (debris is way faster to mine than intact walls and floors).

I see a tower of what looks like iron frames cubes - unlike the iron frame but similar - I f I were to topple this what would happen to the surrounding structures or myself?

The game comes with a detox feature, if you are as addicted to this as crack, you have to quit to save the current save, I would not be writing this if I did not stop to copy my save folder, and recover from the addiction. Sorry a little dark humor there.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I see a tower of what looks like iron frames cubes - unlike the iron frame but similar - I f I were to topple this what would happen to the surrounding structures or myself?

If you undermine a structure made of metal, the resulting debris will be scrap metal. If it hits you while falling down, that will hurt a lot. Just make sure that you get away quick enough and everything will be fine.

Other structures are not directly damaged by falling debris. But the debris of course adds to the mass of anything it falls on. If you want to keep surrounding structures make sure they are well supported.

• Like 1

I toppled the tower and did not get as much as I thought, but then I could have climbed higher and did a little at a time from a reasonable distance up all the way down so I just learned from my mistake, like I have done countless times in this game. so If i go after a large building I will do so one floor at a time.

I toppled a building that i used as a base, but did not like the way it was built and decided to start from the ground up and it came down and did not effect my forge or workbench which is a bit strange but a good thing. I think I will go at lampposts and tall but useless structures to stock up on resources.

I spent an unnecessary 3 days trying to take apart a structure from the top down, now it sounds like a stupid thing to do, but learning in game always feels better than using cheats like I see on YouTube.

I can not believe what a great tip this is, thank you.

I just had something happen that made me furious in game - this would be finding the supply crate having a full inventory and having zombies around at the time - so I opened the crate like a birthday present and the crate disappeared (never happened before) when I looked at its contents I see an AK 47 which was amazing, but then got stunned by a zombie from behind and killed it and another one and the backpack contents of the crate were not in site i removed all grass but could still not find it. Luckily I was able to just let it go even though I was furious, but this was all a bit strange to me. have you ever seen or heard this happen before?

I have the 3 day option set for supplies which seems fair and the see crates on map which does not seem fair but I have seen the plane once and seen the smoke trail of the crate twice so this seems fair at least in my mind. Now whenever I see a crate I will drop all my somewhat useless garbage and make sure I see no zombies in the area, but what I said about the last crate was a bit F***ed up.

As far as tips: what would be the best building demolition system, I have tried pipe bombs but they are worthless, gas barrels are tricky to get right and i for some reason cannot use a gun or bow to blow them up, and I would like to keep a good strategy to take one floor at a time - meaning precision.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Yeah, collapsing buildings does give much less resources than mining from the top down. But you can't beat the resources per second the method provides.
Before switching to undermining, i only stripped buildings from some furniture and plumbing. But with undermining i can get enourmous amounts of stone wood and iron from an urban area in short time.
Don't know, whether floor-wise collapsing provides much benefits resources-per-second-wise as it is often much easier to mine the dirt below the ground plate than it is mining the walls of individual floors.

There also is the fun-per-second metric and collapsing entire buildings at once surely wins that ;)

Regarding supply crates: Play without them. You do not need them anyway. Even fixed-size Navezgane has plenty of stuff. I mostly played without item-respawn too.

Just select longer days instead and prioritize self-supporting gardens after basic fortifications (i prefer augmenting a POI with some cobblestone pillar fencing) and making enough arrows for the 7th night.

I spent about 20 hours on this yesterday, and while not a terribly good thing, I have found that with my my steel pick axe and a level 70 mining I can make 5 of the best resources by breaking apart the small boulders with white spots on them, I get coal and nitrate for gunpowder, Lead for bullet tips, small rocks for cobblestone and eventually concrete and the best is raw iron to scrap for massive scrap iron.

Gardening does not make sense to me, I use the hoe and I dig up the dirt up instead of doing what its supposed to, I use both right and left button on fertilizer and nothing happens, I found the best plant to get is the large cactus (i don't remember the name) for the green banana shaped fruit for its food value as well as the drink you can make for good hydration and cooling properties. I have seeds but without knowing how to hoe and fertilize I probably should watch the tutorial again on YouTube.

I only go after supply crates when they are close by now, and my entire focus right now is on building my fortress and not looting quite yet. although I did find a sniper rifle in a crate so I can't say they are not useful. I'm on 34 days now and have been doing fairly well so far, when I bought the game I could not get through one night without the zombies killing me in about 10 minutes past 22:00, so I stopped playing and could not understand the good reviews, then I started with zombies running off and this make a good tutorial level. next time I play I will choose a random map and up some difficulty.

The whole High tower thing seems impossible right now so I just focus on good defense with pits and spikes and concrete walls.

Edited by bobrpggamer

The high tower should be still possible with some tweaking. But it is no fun anyway. Go for a defense on ground level.

A good defense is a cage made of 50-wide cobble stone (later reinforced concrete) pillars. You can shoot and club between the pillars. At least one zombi can spit acid - so make sure, to build additional cover inside the cage.

When zombies are about breking through one side of the cage, lure them to another side or retreat back into an inner cage.

Gardening worked for me, but it has been a while since i played. And it does not work on sand (except for yucca iirc).

That banana-shaped yucca fruits are only good for one point of nutrition. Eating them is a waste in comparison to converting them into yucca juice. Try to hunt and loot food. The desert is a good starting area but it misses fertile soil (although you can recycle flower pots for that).

Do not forget to (re)plant trees on appropriate soil too.

And yes, read the forums and wiki. The game is in development and will probably still change a lot.