The Dark Mod Forums

Halloween 2017

bobrpggamer

This game needs a warning label to keep guys with real food and water and get your eyes off the computer screen - sometime soon please. This is the most addictive game I have ever played and I have been computer gaming since 1988 (RPG addiction - Wasteland or Might and Magic). Too many things to do in too little time multitask this and that clean the traps, make some gunpowder, or maybe I should leave the scrapping out of the queue to save time for making some steel arrowheads and then wait I forgot the Molotov's and the horde will be here in 10 hours, I still need to find more brass but then, this, that and another. Man this is a IQ check for dumb asses like me.

I am still a little disappointed with at least myself that the whole block thing makes it hard to build what I envision in my head, coming from XYZ of 3D space at least in an editor you can trim a brush where you need to, the problem is building something and trying to be my usual perfectionist symmetrical needy self I build and then I tear it down to try something else and in game time this is taking too much time, I need to stop building and go looting. If you see my videos of DarkMod and Thief 3 FM - unfinished but as perfect as I can get it.

Way off topic, but to those who watch the Strain, the stregoui (or however this is spelled) look like Quake II strogg to me - almost exactly.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Some other people addicted to 7 Days to Die also got addicted to Factorio. I am not so sure, wich one is the more addictive one...

Regarding testing the visual layout of your buildings: Build the "wireframe" with frames first. "Fill" the frames when the silhouette looks like something you want. You can pick up the basic frames (wood, cobblestone, rebar) up and reuse them as long as you do not start to upgrade them with material.

And try the blunderbuss as a horde defense weapon. Ammo needs no brass, only gun powder paper and lead.

When not defending against the horde, try to not use your louder options (but collapsing buildings by undermining seemed to be fine). Go for arrows or crossbow bolts (the latter has to be unlocked by finding and reading a book) instead of gunpowder weapons. And do not overuse your forges. Creating too much noise or pollution attracts zombies - some of them may be screamers that attract even more zombies when they see you.

Addiction does not depend on IQ. But the quality of the made-up excuses does :P

egarding testing the visual layout of your buildings: Build the "wireframe" with frames first. "Fill" the frames when the silhouette looks like something you want. You can pick up the basic frames (wood, cobblestone, rebar) up and reuse them as long as you do not start to upgrade them with material.

I do this first but then when I upgrade it sometimes I do so accidentally and then I have to tear it down to match the rest of the blocks. I have an idea to start building outside of my fortress as a test so then collapsing the test structure with a stick of dynamite, as I will not have to worry about destroying part of the my fortress, and dynamite is a good way to destroy a good structure but I found out the hard way and killed myself.

My thing is perfection and symmetry these two things rule my building so this is just me and not so much a defect of the game.

The blunderbuss sounds cool I think they were before muskets in real history, a large funnel end and pack it with gunpowder I guess. What would really be appreciated is a silencer (please don't say anything I will find out on my own) if I can find one. i always use my bow or crossbow when i can and usually when I enter a building with the zombies sitting in the corners and sneak up for a headshot kill with a steel arrow.

The excuses are real, its just my own weakness that keeps me from stopping. I quit smoking in 2015 without patches or gum, I just said to myself I do not need to smoke and that was all it took. My mom was surprised because I smoked for 33 years and I smoked 5 cans of bugler (rolling tobacco without filters) a month, so I have willpower but I guess I just need to force it. When I do exit the game I save the save folder to another folder and this has kept me safe when the power went out and I restarted my PC and the the game I was in the same location with the same map and buildings but my character was reset to the start, when my video card glitched due to overheating (this game taxes my GTX 1080 like no other game) and I hit the escape key, then reset my PC I was right where I left off, seems I guess without hitting the escape key on power loss the game resets the character, the character is not updated every minute like most everything else, I know this because I had a program called Watch Directory that was monitoring the save folder and copying and renaming the files that were changed and there was a huge amount of writing in the save folder during game play, some at every minute and it got to the point that I was getting too confused with a folder with 100's (depending how long I was playing at the time) of copied and renamed files and some were not updated every minute, I forgot which ones, but trying to piece the save folder back to an earlier state I would see from say 11:33 to12:20 every minute there was a new file and a few were 8:22 or 6:07so they never matched and it was hard to piece the save back together, so now I just stop and save the folder manually.

If you want to quit 7D2D, you just need to start Factorio

When I said quit I meant exit the game to save the save folder, I love the game but after 10 hours of straight play it is a bit unhealthy. As far as Factorio, it reminds me of Sim City and don't take this the wrong way but I am a FPS person as far as editors and building things. I loved Fallout 1 and 2 but as far as the gaming and building parts of this type of game I will stick with first person 7 Days to live.

I finally got my chainsaw back, I had a hard time assembling the parts until I watched a tutorial and that you have to drag and drop, which I thought i did. The addicting thing is the way you have so many things to do and you want to try them all and then you have to be level 20 or you need a certain tool or schematic to build with, so then you do all you can to get these things and then you realize you just played for 10 hours and you need to eat.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I have a more serious problem from multiple forges and chem stations, these dynamic lights are killing my FPS, this is a type of bug that should be fixed eventually with what we here call portals what is not being seen in vision and is not near being seen in vision needs a portal (I forgot what this is in DarkMod) an area that is not rendered or thought of when not in near sight. I have dug down under my fort to where these are so this is being completely out of sight. The Voxel thing is cool but dynamic lights need more optimization I think.

And screamers love my forges, I have 4 forges 2 floors down that i smelt stone, and these need to be off at night but i forget. Another problem, I will have to smash a hole in my forts wall to get this damned minibike out, i figured you could just move it but now its in the middle of my crops in the middle of my fort. I hope i can get this going soon, i would like to do some faster traveling if possible.

This game brings my GTX 1080 to its knees - although with pride I leave the settings up, but with the dynamic light issue i will have to turn them down.

Good Idea, but after turning down some effects such as anti aliasing (yeah I had that on because of my 1080 that should have been able to handle it) as well as fade LOD and some other things, 60 Frame Vsync was also turned down to half which helped but I have never see this as an option in a game I think it helps with some stuttering.

I also got my minibike up and running so your Idea will be easier to get to.

Found a Blunderbuss:

post-3455-0-41568500-1505523654_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobrpggamer