The Dark Mod Forums

Half Life 2, Episode 3 story script published

Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

How anticlimactic...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

They could have an episode 4 where the sun in the dyson sphere is forced to go nova, hence ending the combine.

although due to all the spelling mistakes and bad english, is that episode 3 write up real. it reads like a scamming email you get when english isnt the language of the writer.

Edited by stumpy

It strikes me as real just because it's not particularly funny or interesting or annoying, and if someone were really engineering it to troll people, you'd think it'd be a bit more trolly.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

After all this time, at least we get some resolution. Such a shame that HL3 will most likely never see the light of day. The series had such a profound impact on me and my view of video games growing up.

The real reason there will be no episode 3 is simply because Gabe Newell is still adding up the money he has made from his Steam platform.

I still believe with the money they have made with steam and offering damn near every computer game from 2000 on and a host of Indy games they would have the decency to hire a third party developer to put out Episode 3 for their fans. I don't even remember playing Half Life 2 :Episode 2, I honestly do not remember what happened when I played it.

There are developers that were in the heart of BBS piracy that had planned for trilogies that were not made because the developers were broke and did not have the funds to continue what they truly loved to do: make cool games like:

The Amber series - Amberstar was published and Ambermoon was done in German and was not yet translated and they went broke. This was meant to be a trilogy.

I seriously doubt that Valve (or whatever they call themselves now after the steam thing) is not lacking the funds to put out Episode 3.

It should have been released before Left 4 Dead in my opinion, at least before Global Offensive, they have no excuse other than being greedy and lack of respect of their fans.

Edited by bobrpggamer

How anticlimactic...

Ideas are nothing, execution is everything. The original Half-Life can be boiled down to "Experiment goes wrong, aliens attack, govt tries to shut it down, things go pear-shaped thanks to wrench-wielding particle physicist", and it is not a particularly good story on its own. It is just told very well.

(However, HL was going steadily downhill IMO, and the HL2 episodes were growing more and more disappointing. So - who knows?)

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A HL 3 game is a difficult project, because what made them popular back then became cliche. Don't get me wrong, you could still make an amazing game with ideas that are considered cliche! a linear FPS with awesome story, awesome gameplay would sell now, then and always. However, my best guess is that if they really want to make a HL3 one day it will be following the same motivations of the original games; they had a state of the art engine with amazing physics, so if they get their hands on some new technology HL3 might be a good project to work on it. I was kinda counting on VR fulfilling that role but nothing happened so far.

Also, I am 100% certain there will be a half life 3. What world would this be if we can't leave a single franchise dead, right? I mean, sure it might happen as just "Half Life", without the 3, as just a reboot. But it still counts.

• Like 1

The thing is, Valve doesn't need to revive Half Life as a franchise. They're not desperate. They have tons of money from Steam and shitty Steam Greenlight / Direct games. HL is a cult franchise from late 90s / early 2000s. Its target demographics would now be considered either too "hardcore" or too sparse, so why even bother? Too much time has passed, and the game's no longer relevant. And they'll never meet the huge expectations. They'd have to come up with something new and groundbraking, or at least some kind of reimagining, like new Wolf or Doom. And even that would be treated as "abandoning core values" by older audience.

• Like 1

Like I said before this should have come out by at least 2010 before all the work on left 4 dead. They were episodes not more than maybe 20 hours at most, it would have been easy to do back then. They should have at least just finished the story, but then later than 2010 it would not be taken seriously by anyone who hasn't played the Half Life 2 series already - from the original Half Life in 2004 to Lost Coast and Episode 1 and 2. I actually played half life 2 twice and started another run until something else distracted me.

It is insane how steam grew from an annoying DRM to a superpower game merchant (for lack of a better description). When I got the game in 2004 I had AOL dialup in a Halfway House and was limited to sneaking the telephone cable out when no one was watching.

• Like 1

Here is the real ending of Half Life:

1: youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs

2: youtube.com/watch?v=h8yHguvYYyQ

3: youtube.com/watch?v=0NiCYPrAoB8

4: youtube.com/watch?v=ULWgEnnmcv4

Very clever idea.

On this note a real review of Half Life 2: Episode Two. No exaggeration characteristic of contemporary reviews for the game at the time. No hype:

A HL 3 game is a difficult project, because what made them popular back then became cliche. Don't get me wrong, you could still make an amazing game with ideas that are considered cliche! a linear FPS with awesome story, awesome gameplay would sell now, then and always. However, my best guess is that if they really want to make a HL3 one day it will be following the same motivations of the original games; they had a state of the art engine with amazing physics, so if they get their hands on some new technology HL3 might be a good project to work on it. I was kinda counting on VR fulfilling that role but nothing happened so far.

Also, I am 100% certain there will be a half life 3. What world would this be if we can't leave a single franchise dead, right? I mean, sure it might happen as just "Half Life", without the 3, as just a reboot. But it still counts.

​Well, it's not just about clichés.

It's about how low it is to leave the game series on a cliffhanger without giving any explanations to the target audience of the future of the franchise. Who does that? Why would you do that? This is not TellTale Games. This is not The Godfather to have that luxury. It's just a glorified science fiction thriller when you look back at it. Only HL 1 and HL 2 aged well to this day unfortunately. Something that the episodes and the expansions for HL 1 did not.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

badge?user=andarson

Are they really that ignorant that they can't write it properly? It's not Half Life 3 and it never was supposed to be. After HL 2 they were doing the Episodes (overpriced and late, episodic content in the worst sense of the word). And the Borealis narrative was supposed to be Half Life 2: Episode Three.

That explains why they are so fanatical about the series that faded into obscurity. Ignorance shared in this instance by developers and the community alike.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson