The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

bobrpggamer

In Deus Ex and the old Splinter Cell games you don't really need the gadgets either.

Most TDM missions are the other extreme, though. Most of the time I wonder why my character even bothers carrying all the stuff with him around as it is pretty much unneccessary anyways :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

True. Most of the time, gadgets are just what they are… gadgets. You don't HAVE to use them, and it is totally up to you whether or not you use them or not. Even though i'd agree that, in nowadays games, they shower you with gadget you can even upgrade, so it doesn't get boring for the gadgeteers. Kind of the typical quantity => quality thing so popular these days.

• 3 months later...

I must admit that i was dead wrong about this game... started yesterday with it again, and, i really, really like it. Especially the city hubs, side missions and the atmosphere really sucked me in after a short time. Not sure why i disliked it the first time i started it, maybe had to do with being overwhelmed by the interface, inventory, and crafting menus. Or that it performed so shitty with my former graphics card (i have a GTX 1060 now).

I found out that more RAM also helps here. First loading is always awful, but moving between two district was a pain for my system too. That was when I had 16 gigs of RAM. When I moved to 32 gigs, switching districts was a matter of seconds. It seems like the game doesn't unload that data when you have enough of system memory.

Btw. I was hugely disappointed by how the game ends, it's just not finished, plain and simple. No idea how they thought they'd get away with this. DLCs don't finish the plot, but Criminal Past is especially good here. It's much bigger than it initially seems, and the whole mission is better than anything I saw in the main game.

AFAIK, DX:MD is kinda part one of the whole game EM was planned to release, and part two was to slate a year or two after. IIRC, Jim Sterling said about the DXNG1 (DX:MD) and DXNG2 teams within EM. But something went wrong...

About DX:MD's stutter, slow loading, etc.: looks like EM has broke Glacier 2 Engine in order to create the Dawn Engine. That's what usually happen when someone, who don't have enough qualified HR, time, money, and expirience, is trying to create their own engine. Eventually they finish their job, but if you look at the result, you'll understand what I mean.

• Like 2

AFAIK, DX:MD is kinda part one of the whole game EM was planned to release, and part two was to slate a year or two after. IIRC, Jim Sterling said about the DXNG1 (DX:MD) and DXNG2 teams within EM. But something went wrong...

About DX:MD's stutter, slow loading, etc.: looks like EM has broke Glacier 2 Engine in order to create the Dawn Engine. That's what usually happen when someone, who don't have enough qualified HR, time, money, and expirience, is trying to create their own engine. Eventually they finish their job, but if you look at the result, you'll understand what I mean.

Exactly, it's an half (QUARTER maybe, better, AN INTRO).

And you know, the usual porting-from-console problems (UI, input management, etc.)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

And you know, the usual porting-from-console problems (UI, input management, etc.)

At first, I thought that way, too, but as Judith has already said here, Nixxes are pretty good at PC porting. Look, say, at TR 2013 & RotTR 2015/2016 - these ones work much more smoothly and faster than DX:MD. On the other side, the PC version of Thief 2014 wasn't perfect to say the least. The only conclusion I've made is that if someone has broke the engine, they guys from a PC porting company won't fix it.

Can't complain about the performance, TBH. I recently upgraded to 16 gigs of RAM, and moved from a GTX 770 to a GTX 1060, and, the game runs fine on high (not maximum) settings. Only thing i had to do was to turn off DirectX 12, because it caused some crashes when i was running through Praha... (gave me a window with an error message that there was something wrong with the graphics driver, and, i found out on the net that turning off DX 12 fixed it for some, and it also worked for me)

On NVidia GPUs in MD the performance in DX12 mode is the same of DX11. So nothing of value lost.

And you can use ReShade to avoid the heavy load in-game MSAA and prefer a much lighter FXAA/SMAA.

And MXAO in place of in-game SSAO (ReShade depth buffer detection works well in DXMD).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

porting usually goes the otherway, pc to console not console to pc.

slightly confusing when people say the pc program is a console port when it isn't. usually happens when converting the pc program to run on a xbox, they've left some of the xbox items from the xbox port in with the pc version, so it looks like it was ported from xbox to pc when its actually the other way around.

Edited by stumpy

This is my config (i3 6300 + 16 GB RAM + 1050 Ti overclocked):

Configs.jpgpic upload

Notes:

*Textures -> Very High: it's important to avoid texture LoD artifacts (low resolution textures on some clutter mixed with high resolution ones, a mess)

*Texture Filtering -> 16x Anisotropic: of course!

*Ambient Occlusion -> On (High?) and NOT Very High 'cause Very High is too much strong AND not temporally stable (you can see the AO shadows flicker/shimmer on Prague houses walls while moving around)

*Contact Shadows -> Off: not a fan of this technique in open spaces with trees foliage (a fake shadowing model mess if you ask me, see the NVidia Tomb Rider RTX demo and listen to the CEO about that mess)

*Parallax Occlusion Mapping -> High: it's important to avoid the depth plane in.....plain sight (a mess, and a mess of a joke :D )

*Depth of Field -> Off: it's only the DoF in dialogues cinematic view (as see in Human Revolution)

*LoD -> Very High: it's important to avoid geometric LoD artifacts

*Volumetric Light -> Ultra: it's really important (and heavy, I know) to obtain the max lighting "immersion". Go for Ultra or nothing!

*Screenspace Reflections: On: of course!

*Temporal AA -> A mess, avoid it ! (use in-game MSAA or FXAA/SMAA via ReShade)

*Motion Blur -> WHY in an immersive simulation like DX, WHY?????

*Sharpen -> A mess, avoid it ! (use ReShade LumaSharpen or similar)

*(Horizontal) Lens Flares -> too much strong, I'm the ultimate cyborg and my badass glasses have lens flares artifacts? WTF

*Chromatic Aberration -> Sharpen+ Lens Flares notes

*Tessellation -> can't see any geometric difference in game (maybe plain not working feature)

Edited by lowenz

slightly confusing when people say the pc program is a console port when it isn't. usually happens when converting the pc program to run on a xbox, they've left some of the xbox items from the xbox port in with the pc version, so it looks like it was ported from xbox to pc when its actually the other way around.

Input and UI are always intended for console first ;)

In MD there's a bunch of remappable keys but not working if remapped ("walk" one)

Edited by lowenz

As for settings, there was a video by Digital Foundry some time ago, where they proved that setting everything on Ultra is mostly a waste of your PC power and only ads to higher electricity bills. Ultra settings for DXMD seem to fall into that category too. And AFAIR, the parallax oclussion set to max just makes the effect more aggressive, and it looks ridiculous for e.g. the cobblestones, so I was happy to turn it down a notch.

As for settings, there was a video by Digital Foundry some time ago, where they proved that setting everything on Ultra is mostly a waste of your PC power and only ads to higher electricity bills. Ultra settings for DXMD seem to fall into that category too. And AFAIR, the parallax oclussion set to max just makes the effect more aggressive, and it looks ridiculous for e.g. the cobblestones, so I was happy to turn it down a notch.

Problem is: far cobblestones have no effect on them!

And you see the PLANE dividing the 2 zone (effect ON/OFF), the transition is somehow brutal.

Edited by lowenz

*Motion Blur -> WHY in an immersive simulation like DX, WHY?????

It is for the streamers. Motion blur looks fantastic on video but is annoying to nauseating for the one actually playing the game. Some youtubers and twitch streamers turn it on to please their audience. It is also frequently used in trailers to make them more cinematic.

Still completely hooked on this thing... spending hours over hours in Prague, without even advancing the main quest line. :D I just LOVE the atmosphere and world.

I know, but there's a lot of issues about the atmosphere in Prague :(

*Ancient buildings are not explorable (remember the Black Gate from Invisible War? Prague would be perfect for something like that)

*No foot route between the first zone and the others

*No "killer quest" for factions (Dvali, Vaclav, Samizdat, etc) / locations.....only "postman" quests <_<

Still, intro mission in Dubai having the Black Sea in Easter Europe is so stupid.....imagine the same intro mission but in Crimea (and Dvali smugglers): it's totally fitting!

The same for London mission having Moscow or St. Petersburg.....

Edited by lowenz

Porting from consoles to PC is a normal practice nowadays. I'm not saying, that every multi-platform game has been created that way, but like I said, it's normal. Everything (or almost everything) that Nixxes, QLOC, and other similar companies have released on PC is a port from consoles.

I finished the game today, and, i must say that i really liked it. I also found the story to be quite good. Consistent, well told, and authentic. If anything, the end has been a bit lacklustre. I can understand that people perceived it as a bit cut, and unfinished. Guess they left the door open for another sequel.

I'm playing the Jensen stories now, and just finished the Tarvos Security mission. Also enjoyed that very much. :) Very well made.

That mission and all the Ivan Berk (back)story is brutally taken from the main game where it would really belong..... :(

And so the Pritchard mission.....( 'cause you know, Vaklav is too much inconsistent to be a Frank substitute).

Edited by lowenz

porting usually goes the otherway, pc to console not console to pc

AFAIK it's not like that. The tech is locked for console performance, and then the porting company takes that target rendering features, and decides what will go into PC version: higher res textures, longer rendering distances, etc. They add sliders, options, or PC-exclusive features.

That mission and all the Ivan Berk (back)story is brutally taken from the main game where it would really belong..... :(

And so the Pritchard mission.....( 'cause you know, Vaklav is too much inconsistent to be a Frank substitute).

Yeah. I guess the mission didn't make it in the game, because the devs thought it may be a bit inconsistent? Like... Tarvos Security is supposed to be shady, mysterious, and rather the "unknown enemy" throughout the game.

Didn't like Vaclav at all. He seemed misplaced in the game really. Also, almost everyone in TF29 seemed like a insecure nervous wreck to me (Fletcher and Chang). :laugh: Well, apart from Miller and MacReady of course, which were pretty authentic. I like the data analyst guy, who told you the background of all the bad guys, or factions you meet in the game, that was really great.

Looking forward to the other missions in the Jensen stories, they seem very interesting as well.