The Dark Mod Forums

"The Dark Mod | Ambience and Atmospheres"

radioteque

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice subtle tone usage. Had you ever considered some breaks via track reversing? I know Brosius made some extensive use of flipping piano chords and minor riffs to get that kinda ethereal quality. Usually within very small bars but it's a fantastic means of being able to, "feather in" change ups so to speak. Also I'd say anywhere you can add some organic sounds (usually just from samples) to texture the mood to be more scene specific. Bells, clocks, machining even various kinds of animals in moderation can really drive a mood when used in moderation. Maybe experimenting with tracks by choosing a details directed theme?

Lastly the grand presence of stereo. This is something Brosius excels with and that is the capability of, "throwing" those samples and lead elements around the left and right channels. This is something I've really been trying to come into myself (so I don't mean to come off as preachy if I do) but it's such a fantastic method to make a track feel alive and vibrant. Only downside is the overuse of stereo leading to player disorientation by misleading or constantly unpredictable hit sounds, so it's a challenge. This can be advantageous if the tension is intended by design, as well minded stereo usage can make the player second guess what's being perceived.

Overall I think there's some great layers here and the advice is just me being a nut about all things sound. :P

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Hey Epifire,

This is excellent advice. Not only for dark mod related sounds but for sound design in general!

My biggest challenge is change ups in tracks - so they understandably end up being more repetitive than I'd like. Brosius has a master handle on these like you mentioned (the interior chime thing that plays in thief 2 across a few levels inspired me the most) so applying the concepts is the next big step.

Thanks for checking the tracks out, and for the great advice. Cheers!

Edited by radioteque
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well keep'em coming. We don't always appear as active on the forums as we actually are but a lot of the time people are really tied up in personal projects. I don't think dedicated sound authors come along all too often so I for one am very appreciative of good contributions.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

They can be used in FM's as in for free? The bandcamp site implies that they ought to be bought for download. Or is it meant as in a contribution for anyone, as much as they feel necessary?

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

They can be used in FM's as in for free? The bandcamp site implies that they ought to be bought for download. Or is it meant as in a contribution for anyone, as much as they feel necessary?

Hey A, sorry for delay in response - the tracks are absolutely free to use. I've always used a 'pay what you want' model with my tunes, but users can just put in 0 and download. Knock yourself out with downloading :ph34r:

On that note, 3 more tracks have also been added - Drone 7, Environment_1_DeepClang, and Solemn_3. Cheers!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My belief is that it would also be nice to have some kind of extended playlist somewhere on Sound Cloud, just because of how convenient it is to use, download and listen. The YouTube format implies some kind of video content, so that's no good. More hassle for no good.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-turcan/sets/thief-the-dark-mod

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

My belief is that it would also be nice to have some kind of extended playlist somewhere on Sound Cloud, just because of how convenient it is to use, download and listen. The YouTube format implies some kind of video content, so that's no good. More hassle for no good.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-turcan/sets/thief-the-dark-mod

Hehe... I'm on a limited soundcloud account and have already reached my upload limit. I'm 100% with you on the convenience factor.

The difference with bandcamp is that they allow unlimited uploading, but take a cut if someone does buy your music/audio, which is why I've ended up using that as a primary for my musical stuff.

• Like 1