The Dark Mod Forums

Blade Runner + Blade Runner 2049

lowenz

I've been hearing consistently great reviews by everyone that's seen it.

I don't think anyone has said it matches the magic of the first, but I wouldn't expect it to.

Since I haven't seen it, I'm not going to read further into them to avoid spoilers, and I'm not going to be able to say anything here until after I've seen it. But it won't come out in Japan for another month anyway, so it'll be a while.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I've been hearing consistently great reviews by everyone that's seen it.

I don't think anyone has said it matches the magic of the first, but I wouldn't expect it to.

Since I haven't seen it, I'm not going to read further into them to avoid spoilers, and I'm not going to be able to say anything here until after I've seen it. But it won't come out in Japan for another month anyway, so it'll be a while.

No magic but great moments (and great photography).

Maybe a bit too much "biblically evocative" in contrast to the original "pure harshness".

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I have seen the new one this Thursday, and here´s what I have to say about it:

When Harrison Ford said about the movie, that it has the best screenplay he ever read, I was cautiously optimistic.

After all, I wasn´t sure whether Villeneuve will be able to deliver a sequel, which would hold well in the shadow of the original.

I did not had to be.

I will not go into judging, whether this movie is as good as the first one, or even better; this movie stands firmly on its own legs, sensitively extends the original plot and develops the themes in it own way. For me, it is a movie of the year and a legend, which will be watched long after it has been shot. It is almost as if I have seen a short story by Bacigalupi, flawlessly transferred into movie.

5/5* (and I am not one of those, who easily gives a full rating)

Oh, and soundtrack is very good.

Edited by Tarhiel

Sorry to be a bit of a downer about this, always loved the blade runner movie since my teens, but Im not one of those die hard fans that worship something. I was very open to this new one, I like a lot of Villeneuve works, Rayn Gosling is a pretty cool guy and talented actor, so I thought this could be great. And it is great, in way, as an art direction feat. The aesthetics is definitely on par with the first. The cinematography is amazing. A lot of attention to detail. The story itself had potential. And thats basicly where it failed for me. You see, unlike a lot of people, I didnt miss harrison fords character at all. In fact, whenever the movie went too much into self reference, bringing back old characters and architecture, it felt wrong and unnecessary. When harrison shows up and the movie focus shifts from the main character to his story, it felt too much like pandering, to the fan base. Its not like the ending wasnt ok, its that there was a blade runner movie that could have been done, but was cut short in order to focus on what happened to an old character. Its a classic case of answering questions that shouldnt be answered, that should be left to the viewers imagination. It would be the same as trying to explain the replicants "origin story", from the first film. The whole thing just felt like a wasted opportunity to me, because it tried too hard to be a sequel. When in blade runner, its not really the characters we wanna know about, its the questions raised by that vision of the future that should be the focus.

Edited by RPGista

Deckard was always considered to be a replicant, and Rachel was always said to be a special experiment, by Tyrell, so it reads as though the film is about that.

Although what caused the 10 day blackout was never really explained, the one that destroyed all electronic data before a certain date.

Edited by stumpy

Sorry to be a bit of a downer about this, always loved the blade runner movie since my teens, but Im not one of those die hard fans that worship something. I was very open to this new one, I like a lot of Villeneuve works, Rayn Gosling is a pretty cool guy and talented actor, so I thought this could be great. And it is great, in way, as an art direction feat. The aesthetics is definitely on par with the first. The cinematography is amazing. A lot of attention to detail. The story itself had potential. And thats basicly where it failed for me. You see, unlike a lot of people, I didnt miss harrison fords character at all. In fact, whenever the movie went too much into self reference, bringing back old characters and architecture, it felt wrong and unnecessary. When harrison shows up and the movie focus shifts from the main character to his story, it felt too much like pandering, to the fan base. Its not like the ending wasnt ok, its that there was a blade runner movie that could have been done, but was cut short in order to focus on what happened to an old character. Its a classic case of answering questions that shouldnt be answered, that should be left to the viewers imagination. It would be the same as trying to explain the replicants "origin story", from the first film. The whole thing just felt like a wasted opportunity to me, because it tried too hard to be a sequel. When in blade runner, its not really the characters we wanna know about, its the questions raised by that vision of the future that should be the focus.

Interesting. I sympathise with this view. For one it looked amazing. Really great cinematography, the whole look of it was georgeous. Another thing worth mentioning is the score which is also very very good. Worth noting initally worked on by Johan Johannsoon before apparently being fired and replaced by Hans Zimmer. If you listen to Johann Johannnson's work eg in Sicario and the BLadrunner 2049 it is clear that a lot of what he did seems to have survived in the current versin becuase his fingerprints are over it. And it is a lot less ZImmery than (thank god, not that he is bad but his epic themes would be misplaced here) than you might expect. Strange really. Not to mention of course it uses a lot of Vangelis inspired sounds etc but brought up to date in a sensible manner.

Following analysis could be considered (very) minor spoilers:

Anyway, the film itself - I loved it. I like the original a lot, and this is a very close second. I don't unconditionally love the orignal nor this sequal. The 3rd act of the original lacks. It degrades into hokey action primarily. It was alkwys about the atmosphere and underlying philosophical questions. You could say much the same about the sequel - except that the 3rd act, is more interesting in some ways than the original. The philosophical questions raised are.. kind of similar, but I can agree about the Ford character. Really I was quite happy without any Deckard, and the harking back to it was a bit touch and go for me. When Ford came on screen I felt a bit like I did in Force awakens. Kind of a let down, a distraction, and not convinced at his acting anymore. However because this movie is thankfully no where near as hokey and weak as the force awakens, they didn't pander TOO much, the plot held together. It was very refershing to be treated mostly as an adult in modern cinema. Shame it has apparently flopped, but I think it wil be slow burner.. Look forward to a second viewing.

Edited by tefdal

Although what caused the 10 day blackout was never really explained, the one that destroyed all electronic data before a certain date.

It's in the short ;)

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.