The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

After the dust settles from the above discussion, if there are real problems that need fixing, please remember to file bugtracker issues so they don't fall between the cracks.

• HUD Size/Opacity menu name and its subsequent options page has a bunch of #STR_ entries - #4701
  • If I noclip into the void the game hangs, in 2.05 I can clip into the void no problem - #4702
  • all footstep sounds for Ai and the player are broken, keep getting missing speaker noise instead - #470

Done.

• Like 1

So I tried updating to the most recent build. I got a "this program has encountered and error" message from the updater when it was trying to restart, but it restarted anyway. Then when it restarted again it triggered my virus detector, which hasn't happened before. Seems to be updating okay now though.

edit:

all footstep sounds for Ai and the player are broken, keep getting missing speaker noise instead

My footstep sounds are fine.

I've already added the AA [..] issue.

And you have an answer from stogatilov on the bug tracker.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

First and foremost the performance is completely shot, in 2.05 I get a smooth 60fps with all settings maxed but in 2.06 the frame rate feels very sluggish. Certain areas are smooth but others are really bogged down, the map isn't the most demanding either. I know this has been reported before by myself and Spooks but just thought I would mention it again.

Speaking of soft shadows, set Medium and be happy. If you see separate lines on the shadow boundary, try increasing to Hard. Anything above is excessive in my opinion.

A couple of strange things that were present in the mission while playing it in 2.06 that weren't there in 2.05 either, first is lights kept coming through under brushwork for some reason. Taking a completely wild guess that could maybe be because the light is escaping in through two worldbrushes that are met with caulk faces between them. This happened in a few different areas but here's an example to show you what I mean:

ivqwmMh.jpg

I guess this is caused by soft shadows also.

There is an issue 4660 which describes a similar problem. If you see the problem in other places, please report them there. And if you manage to isolate the issue (create a small testmap with it), I will be happy :D Or at least give some idea in which cases it happens.

Also note that: 1) the problem happens less often with "r_useFBO 1", 2) the abovementioned issue contains a workaround which helps in some cases.

• Like 1

Speaking of soft shadows, set Medium and be happy. If you see separate lines on the shadow boundary, try increasing to Hard. Anything above is excessive in my opinion.

+1

To all people complaining about low fps.

Your SS and AA settings are too high.

Example: nVidia 980 Ti is rated at 180 GTexels/sec.

2M pixels (full HD) x 60 fps x 16 AA x 96 SS quality x 2 texels per shadow sample = 368 GTexels/sec required.

This is for one light. Multiple by number of visible lights in your test scene.

Please lower your AA and/or SS until the math above works for your GPU.

If you absolutely want to comment on why max SS quality is 96 please PM @stgatilov.

It does NOT make sense to have both AA and SS maxed out. They MULTIPLY. Max SS should ONLY be used with AA off.

@stgatilov should we include fragment position in its pixel in the SS tex coord formula? Are normals and view angles same for every fragment on a given pixel? In other words, does the SS formula have the same result for every fragment in a pixel when AA is used? If so, it's kinda a waste to do the same computation for each fragment.

After the dust settles from the above discussion, if there are real problems that need fixing, please remember to file bugtracker issues so they don't fall between the cracks.

Thanks.

You mean such as TDM not having a winreg subkeys and there being a read-only revert issue due to user privs for windows users?

// sound of crickets...

Edited by teh_saccade

Make sure you have r_useFBO 0

Otherwise use r_fboresolution for VSR effect

Confirmed, now it works.

You mean such as TDM not having a winreg subkeys and there being a read-only revert issue due to user privs for windows users?

Nope, he meant real problems.

I was also wondering if anyone else was getting strange artifacts appearing with shadows on AI and entities? It seems to happen at certain angles.

Ok so it was brought to my attention that "r_useFBO 1" fixes the issue (which I tested and it does), I assume in future versions that'll be on by default or there's another remedy in mind?

5c9143cdf9ae6d7d4b8616cb6f086145.gif

90e169f671baeb86ee4d7d2e3d2d9b43.gif

Made an animated .gif showing the comparison:

Yup, got it on my end too. That FBO feature should probably be in the menu as well, although r_fboresolution is expensive as hell, like supersampling or resolution upscaling.

Bows before Judith's magnificence and awesomeness.

Good, good. Next time maybe you even think twice before posting, like maybe whether your stuff is relevant to actual topic and scope.

Stuck up prig.

How many users are still getting the folder is read only issue, did we ever look at finding a work around for this annoying windows issue.

This is probably a permissions issue at local machine:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/document-folders-marked-read-only-after-upgrade-to/4f00d3fe-82b0-4e6d-a92a-f81751aa6f51?auth=1

Maybe a .bat can be included during install to run win cmd command to set permissions as a workaround.

eg,

icacls "TDM install directory pull" /grant Everyone:F

// idk how you'd pull the install directory, though... "where TDM.exe" is a good start, but idk how you'd put that into the permissions change command.

I can't find any reference to darkmod other than through nvidia in my windows registry on cursory search for "darkmod" - if there is an entry for darkmod there, perhaps editing the permissions to "everyone / full" via windows registry on install would be easier than using cmd bat.

FYI - DR is registered for uninstall - TDM does not appear in the list of programmes that my build of win10 displays. I find no reference to it anywhere, even in latest version of Crap Cleaner.

https://imgur.com/a/b3oqE

It might be a good move to ensure there is a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<vendor>\<application> registry subkey for TDM so that it can be uninstalled via windows and also to facilitate elevating the permissions so that it does not revert to read-only.

I was also wondering if anyone else was getting strange artifacts appearing with shadows on AI and entities? It seems to happen at certain angles.

Ok so it was brought to my attention that "r_useFBO 1" fixes the issue (which I tested and it does), I assume in future versions that'll be on by default or there's another remedy in mind?

5c9143cdf9ae6d7d4b8616cb6f086145.gif

90e169f671baeb86ee4d7d2e3d2d9b43.gif

This is a tradeoff.

r_useFBO 1 cures this but then you must use FXAA as in-game AA doesn't work.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@teh_saccade and @Judith,

Cut that crap out now.

We don't need this thread being highjacked by snarky back-and-forths.

PM each other if you want to continue taking shots.

I'm trying to parse this thread for real problems and I don't need to go down extra rat-holes.

• Like 1

Turning on the frame buffer will counter the thin line geometry (eg, shadows on cg models) artifacts that you are seeing, due to the antialiasing/sample rate being above that the engine will draw such model's lighting - it is a rendering issue // (insufficient temporal / spatial sampling caused by increased AA).

/*

It appears that several things that you are trying to achieve, such as updating to soft shadows and pushing past engine graphic limits (which can be augmented using driver function for same effect...) while increasing to modern AA standard while using ancient lighting models are going to cause problems. It's like watching several people jam wire coat hangers into the TV to get the reception better, when the whole set needs replacing to watch movies in HD.

*/

Edited by teh_saccade

Grayman — true, that's what I was trying to say. But our lovely teh_saccade just wouldn't be himself, if he didn't come up with a problem that's mostly relevant to him and him alone, without even thinking for a moment 2.06 has much bigger problems right now. My reaction was like that because that isn't the first time he does that. But you're right, I'll just ignore those and let you handle it.

Edited by Judith

Make sure you have r_useFBO 0, otherwise use r_fboresolution for VSR effect

Im loosing track of what setting does what and where and when to use them.

I see there is a bunch of info in the OP, can I ask if some of these commonly used CVAR's will make it into the main menu? As I don't think your average user can follow some it.

Edited by Bikerdude

Im loosing track of what setting does what and where and when to use them -

Can a team member update the OP with this info please?

Biker, you have that info in first post already:

r_fboResolution: Multiplies your native resolution times your input value. 2 means double resolution. Works like SSAA. Very high performance cost.

r_useGLSL = 1 : needed for Soft Shadows

r_useFBO = 0 : A few shadow transition artifacts but allows in-game AA

r_useFBO = 1 : No shadow artifacts but a few transparency artifacts. No AA allowed other than FXAA

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)