The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

That's TD4: The Alchemist being run on the beta.

The audio is me playing that while watching a Youtube video on the other monitor.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I tested the prefab MerryChest fixes, but I'd appreciate it if someone else could double-check them. Just drop the chests into a map and see if the chest lids open properly and the keys inside are frobable.

Just tested this out on the latest build.

- All chests open properly

- All chests close properly

- All keys inside the chests are frobable

- The key for chest number 6 had a typo it's inventory name and entity name is "MerryChest6Key1", so the 1 at the end needs to be removed

All chests lock using the key inside except for these two:

- Chest number 5's key doesn't work for the chest because it's name is "MerryChest6Key" when it should be "MerryChest5Key"

- The key inside chest number 3 doesn't work because it's named incorrectly, it is named "MerryChest1Key1" when it should be named "MerryChest3Key"

I have just corrected all of those bugs, and put all of the chests into another map just to be sure and there weren't any issues so they should be all fixed now.

Revision number 15144

• Like 1

Um, one problem.

You made those changes directly in the 2.06 branch, and you're not supposed to do that. The changes should have been made in the trunk, the rev numbers given to me, and I would have merged them to 2.06.

As it is now, anyone using the trunk won't see the corrections you made.

While I was double-checking the work I did, I found one more problem with chest 4, so I'll straighten everything out.

Um, one problem.

You made those change directly in the 2.06 branch, and you're not supposed to do that. The changes should have been made in the trunk, the rev numbers given to me, and I would have merged them to 2.06.

As it is now, anyone using the trunk won't see the corrections you made.

While I was double-checking the work I did, I found one more problem with chest 4, so I'll straighten everything out.

Sorry about that!

Here are the chests if you want to upload them, i'm not going to dive back into the SVN again.

https://mega.nz/#!Ja5C1IJa!CMQ-bg2oyPt2f7PCJ0L0ogbVngalo0PPMMLtxRqY3HU

I'm not entirely sure whether this belongs in the bug section but I've noticed inconsistent behavior with regards to frobbing a particular key, easy sometimes, difficult others.

I'm not sure if this is due to beta or not as I haven't played this mission in past versions, but suffice it to say due to the old nature of the mission I don't think it'll be a level specific fix and thus I decided to post it here.

I think it may have to do with the opening and closing of the cabinet?

It looks like somehow the frobability of the key has become reversed.

Using the savegame, I can't frob the key with the desk door open, but if I close it, I can frob the key from beneath the desk. This is the reverse of the expected behavior.

It works in 2.05.

It also works in 2.06 if I start the mission from scratch.

I'll post a bugtracker issue, but it won't get looked at in 2.06, since it's difficult to say what exactly happened to the frobability of the key as the desk gets opened and closed. I checked the map for possible opening/closing of other desks, cabinets, etc. pointing to this desk (which we've seen in at least one other map), but there's no such problem here.

Maybe someone else will encounter the problem. Until then, there's nothing I can do with this.

• Like 1

What's the string numbers in the all.lang file in TDM for the new Graphics settings about "uncapped FPS, multi-core, and soft shadows"?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Looks like it's not in there yet.

Not in trunk either.

nborh1more asked to translate those settings for 2.06. That's why I asked.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4523

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I feel like moss is worse to step on, lots of little bumps and it feels like I'm almost getting caught on some.

Not sure if this has been altered in some way, but I can tell the soft shadows are amazing by comparison to the old ones.

I can confirm this. Crouch-walking across the moss feels slow and jerky, like you're walking across molasses.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4728

Slovak translation for 2.06

I have little idea about the current beta progress on 2.06, but I've fully updated my main post on the Slovak translation for 2.06. It's now up to the current state of things. Have a read of that overview, if you're interested. Extensive screenshots are also provided, to give one an idea of what works well and what still has problems.

Though my translation efforts on the base pack missions (the two currently translatable) might need some more work, the GUI translation is completed.

I had a primary focus on updating info on the GUI progress (since it's fully inished at this point), but the info on the mission translations is also up to date (St. Lucia info is still missing and will be added in short order, but the Training Mission has been covered thoroughly).

The only issues with the GUI translation are fixes to some minor font problems, none of which are detrimental to reading the GUI text.

The issues with the FM texts and how the fonts display them are a little more complex. They will need a bit more effort to resolve all the font issues. With a bit of luck, we could nip it in the bud after the GUI problems are solved, and before 2.06 is released.

In case fixing the fonts would take a while, I have a backup plan for discarding with some of the non-working diacritical letters in the translation, as a temporary measure. They'd be replaced by plain letters until we'd get the ones with diacritics working by 2.07. But I'd prefer to get everything finished by 2.06.

I hope this will shed some light into my project and will help clear up any confusions. If there are any questions concerning the overview and what I might have forgotten about, feel free to ask.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 2

The next build package is ready for testing.

Seems quiet around here, so I suspect we're nearing the end.

15145 – 4729: Further corrections to MerryChest{3,4,5} (Goldwell, grayman)

15146 – Correct misnamed footlocker prefab files (grayman)

• Like 1

Seems quiet around here, so I suspect we're nearing the end.

Or we just have tester burnout. I haven't been doing much testing, I admit, because of the frequent crashes I've been getting.

Is anyone looking at that moss issue? That's a fairly significant one.

I can't confirm it has anything to do with 2.06. It could be driver or GPU issue on my end. All the crashes I've had have been while using 2.06, but they're random enough that I can't be sure that means anything. http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19275-driver-problem-or-gpu-problem/

• Like 1

I haven't experienced any crashing myself, going to give Requiem and Crucible of Omens a spin tonight on the latest build and see how it handles that.

Im hoping that the performance bugs have been fixed finally.

Can anyone recommend really demanding missions to try out? One that should push the engine.

I haven't experienced any crashing myself, going to give Requiem and Crucible of Omens a spin tonight on the latest build and see how it handles that.

Im hoping that the performance bugs have been fixed finally.

Can anyone recommend really demanding missions to try out? One that should push the engine.

Briarwood Manor

Rightful Property

Penny Dreadful 2 and 3.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I feel like moss is worse to step on, lots of little bumps and it feels like I'm almost getting caught on some.

Not sure if this has been altered in some way, but I can tell the soft shadows are amazing by comparison to the old ones.

Some physics have changed in regards to movement, so this is definitely worth investigating.

There is no doubt, moss arrows aren't doing their job now due to seriously nerfed movement speed due to the new physics.

The video is to demonstate that I would rather creep on tile than move on moss now due to the unpredictably slow move physics.

It would seem to be that I'm having to manually mount over every moss mound as though it were a physical object, creating a heavy traction where there previously was none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAwQjw-Bho

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Ok today while playing Volta 2 in 2.06 saw some more problems, don't know if the same happens with 2.05 has i don't have it currently installed, and sorry if this are already known problems, first fire particles aren't getting soft even with soft particles enabled, i can see them create that line where they meet with other geometry, saw that in the chapel with the fire skeleton, second the portal that leads to that strange world with the floating light is suffering the same problem as the water in the beginning of the mission, i assume it uses the same shader, third when picking up one of the ancient keys, like the one that opens the stone door with the dead guy next to it, it fall through the floor, fortunately i was still able to pick it up, even if i could not see it, fourth i got stuck, unable to move, at the edge of the small red water fall in the strange world.