The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

A bit of an update on the sound effect.

I did a clean reinstall and that seemed to have stopped the "missing shader sound" beep from occurring in this case.

That said, now it's totally silent (or maybe really really quiet) for whatever that sound effect is supposed to be, and it is causing an AI alert which I'm guessing is not the intended behavior.

Anyway, most consistent way I've found to recreate it is using this chest in particular in The Knighton Manor: https://i.imgur.com/EPFFt6D.jpg

If you grab the Noisemaker Arrow before touching anything else in there then it should cause the seemingly missing/silent sound effect and cause an alert without triggering other sounds.

Just dropping the boot or otherwise tripping the "trap" as intended does create a bunch of audible sound effects, so I'm guessing it's just one of the sound effects getting triggered there that's affected.

• Like 1

Uploaded a svn diff file in the movement stutter issue that removes the movement frame lock and fixes moving onto the curb in TD4: Alchemist by adding a 250ms delay to sliding after a step up. Frametimes >= 16ms (up to 62.5fps) will be untouched by the curb workaround.

I could not reproduce the head getting stuck issue in Swing mentioned here, but that doesn't have to mean it's fixed.

Report back if this resolves the stutter, and of course if there are more frame rate related bugs.

This seems to be the right magic.

1) No getting stuck on curbs or stairs

2) No physics issues in Swing (feet stuck in platform, head stuck in ceiling)

3) Smooth player motion when walking and strafing

• Like 4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've not reported anything in a month or two, but I think I still have the one super-stuttery test map in my beta installation. Still keeping an eye on the thread, whenever a new update package is available, I'll give it a spin and report.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I didn't realize why I didn't feel like playing TDM recently, I think it was the stuttering.

I ended up playing for 4 hours straight last night and didn't notice the time go by. TDM is back baby!

• Like 3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Is the problem with the water shaders still an issue? I thought there were recent reports about it, but I don't see it in the list of open issues.

The next package build is ready for testing.

7370 – 4737: Fix Russian quicksaves not being loaded (grayman)

7371 – Blue Pill’s stutter fix (Blue Pill)

15157 – Latest language changes. (grayman)

15158 – Correct typo for I18N. (grayman)

15159 – Correct relight positions for a new fireplace; remove redundancy warnings (grayman)

15160 – Fixed typo in tree bumpmap (grayman)

The *.lang files might be a bit "iffy". There was a conflict committing what I have, but I didn't have any oompa-loompas left to correct anything that was wrong. I'll address it soon and get it fixed in the next build.

• Like 3

I went back through the thread and apparently it was fixed in January. No confirmation from the original reporter (Iowenz).

Just tried the new update. It fixes the fluctuating FPS I was seeing in 2.06, and I didn't have any movement stutters either.

• Like 4

Can I get others to test this?

Well, everything seems to be working well, except at high FPS while crouch walking, I lose the sound of my foot steps.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4696

Once my FPS reaches close to the max 235 fps, my foot step sounds while crouch walking will not play.

Once FPS dips a bit I start getting some of the foot fall sounds, and once I get to around 150 fps, they're all there.

This happens with smp on or off.
With com_fixedtic set to 1(ON) and at high FPS is when the issue happens.

With it set to off, fps is capped at 60 fps, so I can't tell if it works because FPS is low, or because fixedtic is off.

Happens in 32bit and 64bit binaries, tested with latest ones that were just uploaded in SVN.

This is game breaking as it actually affects AI ability to hear the player!

If I have over 210 fps, I can crouch RUN behind an AI and they won't hear me at all.

I would get a recording but recording drops my FPS too low and the problem isn't observable

• Like 1

With Vsync Off and Uncap FPS On, I don't hear my footsteps when crouching around 235 FPS. Turning VSync On resolves the problem, as framerate goes back to 60. IMO it's not game breaking, because most people play with VSync On, there will be long before anyone will be able to maintain max FPS on average, and monitors with highest refresh rate available right now are 160-165 Hz.

You can have a 60hz monitor and still get 235fps and have the issue though. It's game breaking because when you're crouch running you are completely silent and AI do not hear you, so the sounds aren't actually playing.

Since footsteps provide both sounds that the player can hear, and propagated "sounds" that the AI can hear, and the former are handled first, then the latter ...

... it sounds like the problem is that the code is deciding "it's not time yet" to process a footstep. So neither is "heard".

IIRC, footstep sound creation uses a delay between sound creations so that you don't get continuous footsteps.

Perhaps all that's needed is a tweak to that delay so it becomes fps-independent.

• Like 1

There's plenty of reasons, one is not having to worry about massive FPS drops when you can't do 60 fps. Even with triple buffering that's a drop from 60 to 40, and I noticed it a few nights ago in a badly optimized map.

That's with a 4.2Ghz 4770k and 980ti overclocked.

Yes, but the drop might only by to 58, or 55, or 50, in that case, I'll hardly notice. But if I had Vsync on, I would immediately be at 40 (with triple buffering) or 30 (with normal double buffering). If it drops below 40, I'm now at 30, or 15.

The results are not the same.

I don't use triple buffering in TDM, I believe noone does by default, as it's not available in the game menu, and forcing it in cards can mess with other games' performance. So with usual settings, if the DCs or shadow tris go above typical thresholds, the framerate goes down to the same amount, on both of my machines.