The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Trying it right now at work.

Loaded up Betrayal after restart I have 191,744 KB

Will check back in an hour.

Well after 10 minutes or so, MEM is actually lower at 190,340 KB.

Maybe it's something in the map, which map was it?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I've not reported anything in a month or two, but I think I still have the one super-stuttery test map in my beta installation. Still keeping an eye on the thread, whenever a new update package is available, I'll give it a spin and report.

It's hard to gaige, but it seems to be better - or at least more in parity with 2.05 - now. The console still opens more slowly the lower your FPS is. I am glad to report that The Builder's Blocks is no longer broken under 2.06!

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

@Biker are you dmapping things or doing anything with TDM while you see mem usage increase? Or did you load up a map and just leave TDM running in the background?

Filed a tracker - http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4753

HI, i checked this forum the word "massiveness" in the hope to find some clues about the 3d engine. I dont write c , but do some asm.

falling trough walls etc means the measurement in distance was actualy to far but the "if statement" or "do while" was not exclusive enough to fetch the difference.

once BEHIND the wall there might no definition at all. hence my little "through the wall in a darkhole" moment.

I red a artical about 3d pixel clouding, i dont know were, its some years ago.

the clue was that the most nearby pixels are drawn at first and thus those drawn pixels will block the sight in that straight line.

if you jump in reality you might not see where to jump. but you will bounce if there is any obstacle.

just from this perspective i would say that every thing you DONT see is always massive....until proven its Not.

then probably, in my simple mind, it is by condition IMposible to fall through a wall.

you will have to find a "open pixel space" before the calculation is allowed...or something alike.

i have NO experience with 3d engines eccept for playing around. i just mebemer the artical and i was thinking about "massiveness"

Edited by CrisiusXIII

Hi,

i am new here. I have linux opensuse 64 with 2.0.5. installed.

i did not read all 29 pages. so maybe my question is answered already.

can i install 2.0.6 beside 2.0.5 ?

The first post of the thread explains how to install the beta in a separate directory, meaning that it can exist alongside an existing 2.06 installation.

HI, i checked this forum the word "massiveness" in the hope to find some clues about the 3d engine. I dont write c , but do some asm.

blah blah blah

Please don't clutter up the beta testing thread with offtopic posts. If you want to discuss articles you've read about completely unrelated 3D engines, the Off Topic forum would be an appropriate place to do so.

The first post of the thread explains how to install the beta in a separate directory, meaning that it can exist alongside an existing 2.06 installation.

Please don't clutter up the beta testing thread with offtopic posts. If you want to discuss articles you've read about completely unrelated 3D engines, the Off Topic forum would be an appropriate place to do so.

Hi, i did not see it, even after reading again. if you mean "anywhere" then i will just do it like that "a" map anywhere.

if i install a mod in 206, can i copie a savegame from 205 to it, to test if some parts work different/better?

btw

i dont (want to) clutter , i am a thinking human, if i am not allowed to think aload then i am out.

massiviness SHOULD be a part off a 3d engine, so if you say its not an issue for you...fine, i only want to help with an open mind for opensoftware.

gdtyt

Anyway, most consistent way I've found to recreate it is using this chest in particular in The Knighton Manor: https://i.imgur.com/EPFFt6D.jpg

If you grab the Noisemaker Arrow before touching anything else in there then it should cause the seemingly missing/silent sound effect and cause an alert without triggering other sounds.

Just dropping the boot or otherwise tripping the "trap" as intended does create a bunch of audible sound effects, so I'm guessing it's just one of the sound effects getting triggered there that's affected.

Does this still need to be looked at and/or tested..?

In testing Shadows of Northdale for 2.06 I noticed that the fog light "fogs/pitfog_to_black" acts differently to how it does in 2.05, is this meant to be an intended result with all of the new light changes?

Here is the same scene in each version. Notice that the black matt brush at the base of the buildings becomes visible in 2.06 whereas in 2.05 it is hidden by the thick fog.

cRXvCJ1.jpg

VuM3lRp.jpg

• Like 2

Not certain it's just pitfog_to_black either, I've been testing the same foggy scene on both 2.05 and 2.06 for my WIP and my delta1_fog light also looks different, maybe thinner. Personally, I liked how it had less mid-tones but if it's causing stuff like mat_black textures to show through then it's deffo an issue.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

In testing Shadows of Northdale for 2.06 I noticed that the fog light "fogs/pitfog_to_black" acts differently to how it does in 2.05, is this meant to be an intended result with all of the new light changes?

Here is the same scene in each version. Notice that the black matt brush at the base of the buildings becomes visible in 2.06 whereas in 2.05 it is hidden by the thick fog.

Did you try disabling GLSL shaders?

Try to set r_useGLSL to 0, then old ARB shaders will be used.

If this does not fix the issue with fog, you can also try to toggle various settings like "enhanced interaction" and "enhanced ambient".

If any of this changes fog behavior in 2.06 back to its old way, please report exactly what you did.

P.S. Make sure that you set r_useGLSL back to 1 when you finish testing!

Did you try disabling GLSL shaders?

Try to set r_useGLSL to 0, then old ARB shaders will be used.

If this does not fix the issue with fog, you can also try to toggle various settings like "enhanced interaction" and "enhanced ambient".

If any of this changes fog behavior in 2.06 back to its old way, please report exactly what you did.

P.S. Make sure that you set r_useGLSL back to 1 when you finish testing!

Initially I tried toggling all three of those things and they made no noticeable difference ingame so I thought maybe I needed to restart the game after each change. Each of these valueables below were originally set to their maximum, in the brackets I signify what they change to leaving the others as the maximum. Here are the results in regards to the fog after changing the settings, restarting the game and flying back to that same location

r_useGLSL (set to 0) - no change

Interaction Shader (set to default) - no change

Soft Shadow Quality (set to off) - no change

Ambient Rendering (set to simple) - no change

So I decided to turn everything off

Vertical sync - Off

AA - Off

TA - 1x (that's the lowest it will go)

Ambient rendering - simple

Interaction shader - default

Post processing - disabled

LOD - lowest

Soft shadow quality - off

multi core enhancement - off

uncap fps - off

And then I quit the game entirely, and started it up again. Flew back to the same area and still the same problem, the fog did not match what it looks like on 2.05.

So for one more final last ditch attempt I tried running the game with those same settings above and in 32bit mode instead of 64 bit and it still had the exact same issue with the fog not looking the same as it does in 2.05.

r_useFBO 0 = some garbled pixels but you can enable AA in-game

r_useFBO 1 = no garbled pixels but you must use FXAA, MLAA, or Transparency AA in your driver.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)