The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

I can spend a couple hours a day online again. (Broken nose, cuts and scrapes, pulled muscles in arms and one leg. Able to hobble around a bit.)

If anyone wants me to put together the next package build, post the request here.

Otherwise I'll be working on my current WIP.

Glad you're back with us!

Serious issue on lighting for certain objects (keys and chains) in Penny Dreadful 3,

What is the issue? The keys are too bright?

I used the stopwatch app in my phone. Haven't checked all arrow types though.

Yup, I can confirm this for Volta II, 1.8 sec or so. In intro missions (New Job, St. Lucia) it's around 2.6 sec again.

On my work computer I get about 11fps, it takes almost 8 seconds to draw the bow all the way back.

Looks like another thing that FPS dependent.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Due to a fall, I will be offline for a long while. Im ok, but not in the best of shape.

!

Take care of yourself, man! We'll wait for your return!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

What is the issue? The keys are too bright?

Glowing bright white, yes.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with "bright" so much as contrast, maybe? Not sure, either way the colors seem to go back to normal as I see them on the edges of the screen, something I demonstrate in the video.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

On my work computer I get about 11fps, it takes almost 8 seconds to draw the bow all the way back.

That might be the case, I had 60 fps at all times (vsynced, triple buffering).

Edited by Judith

Glowing bright white, yes.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with "bright" so much as contrast, maybe? Not sure, either way the colors seem to go back to normal as I see them on the edges of the screen, something I demonstrate in the video.

Those chains blinking out of sight definitely seems like a problem. Have you tested the same area in 2.05 to make sure it doesn't happen there too?

Oh fun. That's obviously a problem. Does it impact other player animations as well, like melee attacks?

Those chains blinking out of sight definitely seems like a problem. Have you tested the same area in 2.05 to make sure it doesn't happen there too?

Oh fun. That's obviously a problem. Does it impact other player animations as well, like melee attacks?

I distinctly remember playing on 2.05 and it didn't happen.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Okay I just tested at home, I forced FPS down to about 12 FPS (r_fboResolution 4) and my drawing of the bow from mouse click to full draw was about 5 seconds. At 160 FPS, it's about 4 seconds.

At work on the onboard intel computer, it was about 8 seconds.

• Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Okay I just tested at home, I forced FPS down to about 12 FPS (r_fboResolution 4) and my drawing of the bow from mouse click to full draw was about 5 seconds. At 160 FPS, it's about 4 seconds.

At work on the onboard intel computer, it was about 8 seconds.

Ok so I wasn't going mad then, and the working around is to have vsync on..?

I distinctly remember playing on 2.05 and it didn't happen.

I just realized I did update my graphics drivers since then, this may be an issue with AMD software?

I hope this isn't something like our old issues with Catalyst AI.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Disable_Catalyst_AI_in_recent_AMD_ATI_drivers

Ok in modern drivers this is:

Surface Format Optimization = OFF

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I just realized I did update my graphics drivers since then, this may be an issue with AMD software?

Can you provide easy directions to get to that spot on the map?

Can you provide easy directions to get to that spot on the map?

Done with notarget on, without noclip to ensure maximum replication ensurability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jInGm3mIg

I can confirm I'm seeing the same thing in 2.06, and I'm using Nvidia.

edit: Just tested in 2.05, and on the plus side, the keys and chains disappear when they get close to the edge of the screen there too, so that isn't a 2.06 issue.

On the minus side, the full-bright white effect IS a 2.06 issue. In 2.05, it looks like this:

post-9-0-58132500-1523408730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I can confirm I'm seeing the same thing in 2.06, and I'm using Nvidia.

On the minus side, the full-bright white effect IS a 2.06 issue. In 2.05, it looks like this:

Happens with enhanced ambient and with "r_useGLSL 1" only.

This is clearly the behavior of the new ambientInteraction.fs.

I did not manage to find where this shader was ported from.

BTW, this does not look like gamma correction:

color.rgb *= 1 + u_gamma*(1 - dot(color.rgb, vec3(1./3)));

P.S. Anyway, report this bug to issue tracker.

• Like 1

Happens with enhanced ambient and with "r_useGLSL 1" only.

This is clearly the behavior of the new ambientInteraction.fs.

So is there a console command or some kind of quick fix I can use to deal with this? Was hoping to record this mission but it'll have to be on hold if it'll look bad.

So is there a console command or some kind of quick fix I can use to deal with this? Was hoping to record this mission but it'll have to be on hold if it'll look bad.

Disable Soft Shadows and set r_useGLSL 0 along with r_useFBO 0 in the console.

That is trunk only and did not make it to 2.06. Feel free to replace with "real gamma".

ambientLight.vfp?

Gamma thread:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19239-soft-r-gamma/page-2

this was implemented as a way to get past Windows 10's poor interaction with direct gamma controls

in legacy applications. The modern way is "do it in your shader pipeline".

Oh yeah, it's shiny, baby!!

Try this scene with simple ambient and see if that makes any difference.

For what it's worth, those models all seem to have been resized in DR. That might explain them disappearing when they get close to the edge of the screen. Don't know if it would cause the shining.

For what it's worth, those models all seem to have been resized in DR. That might explain them disappearing when they get close to the edge of the screen. Don't know if it would cause the shining.

Melan custom made the models for that mission, if its only happening in this mission then I can make up some replacement models.

Melan custom made the models for that mission, if its only happening in this mission then I can make up some replacement models.

What do you mean he "custom made" them? Do you mean he did something other than resizing them in DR? I don't see any key or chain models in the pk4.