The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Disable Soft Shadows and set r_useGLSL 0 along with r_useFBO 0 in the console.

This may help; disabling soft shadows and setting GLSL to 0 did it, FBO played no part in the problem, although I'm now having the entire key and prop de-render as I look away, not just it's lighting.

Doesn't seem to be happening to the chains?

Edit: Nevermind, it's happening to the chains, too.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

What do you mean he "custom made" them? Do you mean he did something other than resizing them in DR? I don't see any key or chain models in the pk4.

I will need to open up the map and check, either way it looks like the issue can be resolved by replacing them.

either way it looks like the issue can be resolved by replacing them.

Can it? I didn't think we knew what the issue was yet.

If Nbohr is right and it's due to stretching the normals, there's no reason to assume it's not happening to other resized models as well.

Serious issue on lighting for certain objects (keys and chains) in Penny Dreadful 3,

Its actually PD2

I can make a test map with the model normal sized and stretched to see if it's reproducible.

As I am fixing another bug in this mission already I will fix this also.

• Like 1

Its actually PD2

As I am fixing another bug in this mission already I will fix this also.

If Nbohr is right and it's due to stretching the normals, there's no reason to assume it's not happening to other resized models as well.

Setting the key back to normal size removed the wierd shine/glare.

• Like 1

Using the new model resize method in DR stopped the weird glow thing from happening.

So what does this mean for other missions that used resizing before the "new method"? Do we actually know what the problem was?

Sorry, I was hazarding a guess based on what we saw with:

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4279

What I believe is happening is that the lighting equation is getting bad data when polling the vertex normals of the models

and using that as part of the normal map lighting.

I've played many 2.06 missions but this is the first where this artifact has shown up but I suppose that could be due

to the fact that most assets have almost no or no specular.

I don't have a clue how to fix other than Biker's method though...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sorry, I was hazarding a guess based on what we saw with:

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4279

What I believe is happening is that the lighting equation is getting bad data when polling the vertex normals of the models

and using that as part of the normal map lighting.

I've played many 2.06 missions but this is the first where this artifact has shown up but I suppose that could be due

to the fact that most assets have almost no or no specular.

I don't have a clue how to fix other than Biker's method though...

Vertex normals, huh? I would be interested to know how it works in our engine.

Clamp specular to 1.0 in shader? I would prefer Biker's method though.

The next 2.06 build package is ready for testing.

7373 – 4696: Increase delay between frames from 4000 microseconds to 6000 microseconds (stgatilov)

7377 – 4757: Fix r_showLightCount broken (duzenko)

7378 – 4758, 4759: qglVertexPointer -> qglVertexAttribPointer in tools (duzenko)

7380 – Security camera fix for an alert state not passed properly. Added script function entity getSpotLight() that passes the spotlight used by the camera, or the null_entity if none is used. (Obsttorte)

7381 – Fix 4757 regression (nbohr1more)

15153Skina's Russian fixes (nbohr1more)
15154Anderson's Romanian fixes (nbohr1more)

15155More language fixes and Petike the Taffer's Slovak (nbohr1more)

15156Russian Unicode to CP1251 fix (nbohr1more)

15163 – Add video menu line “EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES” (AluminumHaste)

15164 – Correct russian.lang situation and added video menu “EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES” string to all.lang (grayman)

15165 – Fix Romanian big "Settings" (Setari) translation (nbohr1more)

15166 – A few more Russian fixes with resolutions strings (nbohr1more)

15167 – Added bikerdude to the AUTHORS.txt file (grayman)

15169 – Fix horse turn animations (arcturus)

15170 – Fix for male sigh (Springheel)

• Like 4

Decided to finally check the beta out.

Anyone have problems with OpenAL EFX? Noise from front right/left sound like they are coming from right/left or even behind.

Easily test with notarget/noclip and flying around some builders in Saint Lucia.

Had to manually set r_useFBO 1 to get rid of the soft shadow noise. I assume this setting will be the new default anyway.

A new set of Windows binaries is available. Last night's set was hosed due to a couple build problems on my end that went undetected.

Just re-run the updater, using the same mirrors file you used for the build package.

If you've been testing last night's package, please retest.

Thanks.

• Like 1

As written, those features are experimental and can come with issues, adjust expectations accordingly.

You may need to experiment with the various features to get them working on your system.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I tried the latest beta last night, everything is going well.

However, I turned on r_useFBO to fix the shadows, and noticed I was getting stuttering so decided to restart TDM.

I noticed while back on the desktop, I still had stuttering. Moving windows around wasn't smooth (144hz refresh normally).

I restarted the GPU driver and it was back to being smooth.

That's the first time TDM affected Windows in general.

I tried the latest beta last night, everything is going well.

However, I turned on r_useFBO to fix the shadows, and noticed I was getting stuttering so decided to restart TDM.

I have "r_useFBO 1" in my autoexec.config so its always on - the above would explain why I was also seeing the stutter or lack of smoothness.

I have a program on my computer for creating custom resolutions (https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU) it also has a program in it to restart your video driver so you don't have to reboot your computer.