The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Vertex normals, huh? I would be interested to know how it works in our engine.

Clamp specular to 1.0 in shader? I would prefer Biker's method though.

The problem with fixing it on the map side is finding every map that exhibits the problem. Another one was just discovered: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13706-fan-mission-sneak-destroy-by-serioustoni-beginners-contest-2012/?p=420476

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zkWjkIc_HY

New bug in the new update: pay attention to the item select when I use books.

Not sure if this is applicable to other items, requires further testing.

I can actually cover the level like this comfortably, however.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I think we've talked about that a bit before, but is it actually possible to increase the number of drawcalls per scene?

I can't find that exact entry in the Wiki, but I'm almost sure it stated that the limit was 1500 for Doom 3 and then it has been raised for TDM to around 3000. Is it possible to raise it again? Current hardware can handle much more than that, and because of the way TDM content was/is created (a lot of tiling materials), it would be much easier for mappers to create detailed scenes, with the limit raised to e.g. 10k.

• Like 1

To my knowledge there is no hard coded limit for draw calls. The limit is an arbitrary designation based on testing missions on low end hardware. Feel free to break the "rule" as long as you explain the performance requirements in your mission release thread.

Eg.

This mission has higher than typical draw calls and should be played on PC's with CPU's that were mid-range products within the last 3 years or equivalent.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, that's interesting, because I cannot seem to "break the rule", regadless of hardware I use. Framerate always drops with DCs around 3500. That said, the "newest" CPU I have is already 5 years old. I wanted to get new mobo / CPU / RAM combo this year, but prices have been... unfavourable, for quite some time now.

Well, that's interesting, because I cannot seem to "break the rule", regadless of hardware I use. Framerate always drops with DCs around 3500. That said, the "newest" CPU I have is already 5 years old. I wanted to get new mobo / CPU / RAM combo this year, but prices have been... unfavourable, for quite some time now.

Sounds more like your driver/hardware limit rather than engine.

I don't think it's drivers, as I already saw how performance changes on different CPU/GPU setups. Good thing is, it seems all parameters (tris, shadow tris, and now DCs) seem to scale with hardware. The only problem is that people usually change mobo / cpu / ram combo much seldom than e.g. GPU. That's why I see better results for tris / shadow tris with better graphic cards, rather than any change with DCs.

Sort of. Yes, the CPU and sync overhead for OpenGL draw calls is quite bad. TDM is even worse because it uses deprecated pipeline features.

For my VR port I've ported the main parts of the renderer to a slightly more modern OpenGL4 approach, getting rid of the fixed function pipeline and the assembly shaders, and it does reduce the cost for draw calls. Not significantly, mind you, but the CPU overhead in the rendering backend is measurably reduced.

• Like 3

Strange issue here with updater.

I ran it, and it found one file that was size mismatched: tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4

So it downloaded it.

I ran updater again, it found no files to be updated.

I ran TDM and then exited.

Ran updater and it found the same file to be mismatched and downloaded it again.

This happens every time I run TDM and then run the updater. It keeps finding that pk4 file to be the wrong size.

EDIT: Setting the file with the Read-Only attribute stops this from happening.

So what is TDM changing about these files? They are very slightly different:

Fresh file: 9.79 MB (10,272,768 bytes)

Changed file: 9.80 MB (10,280,960 bytes)

That's a difference of 8,192 bytes. 8Kb.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I reported this and found a work around for this a while ago -

Back to testing 2.06 and when I fire up tdm I am seeing the following minor console errors -

during The Dark Mod initialization...
WARNING:Cannot rename E:\Darkmod\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp to E:\Darkmod\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4
WARNING:file materials/tdm_epi_shader_2.mtr, line 462: material 'wizard_cloth_001' previously defined at materials/tdm_epi_shader_2.mtr:366
WARNING:file materials/tdm_epifire_furniture.mtr, line 35: material 'leather_chair_001' previously defined at materials/tdm_epi_shader.mtr:785
WARNING:file materials/tdm_water.mtr, line 1191: material 'textures/particles/ripple_1' previously defined at materials/tdm_particles_ripple.mtr:1

I have no idea what the first line is refering too as there isnt a file with the name 'tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp', the last 3 lines are a simple edit of the material def.

Sounds files are decompressed during installation. The *tmp file receives the decompressed files, and then the *tmp file is renamed as the original file.

For some reason, your installation appears to have been interrupted during this process.

Spoke too soon, its looks like a file permissions issue?

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/grass_1.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/grass_2.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/grass_3.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/grass_4.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/grass_5.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/grass_6.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_crouch_run01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_crouch_run02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_crouch_run03.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_crouch_run04.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human_carpet01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human_carpet02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human_carpet03.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human_carpet04.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/skirt_rustle01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/skirt_rustle02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/skirt_rustle03.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/skirt_rustle04.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/movement_ladder_wood01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/movement_ladder_wood02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/wood_2.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/human/wood_3.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk03.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk04.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk05.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk06.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/dirt_walk07.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/movement_water01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/movement_water02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/movement_water03.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/movement_water04.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_01.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_02.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_03.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_04.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_05.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_06.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_07.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_08.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_09.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_10.ogg' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/climb_ladder_metal_solid_11.ogg' using default

And this tmp file issue "WARNING:Cannot rename E:\Darkmod\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp to E:\Darkmod\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4", now has a file I can see in the tdm folder. So renamed the tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 to tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.old and the tdm_sound_sfx02.temp to tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.

And that fixed the sound issue, so my question is what process is creating the temp and trying to rename/overwrite an exiting .PK4 file..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Can someone else confirm If the pagan orb particle is broken under 2.06, the following particles seem to be missing -

• textures/particles/p_lightning6 - cant find any material or image files for this.
  • textures/sfx/vp1 - I see the vp1.tga file, but no material def.
  • textures/particles/bfgballblast - cant find any material or image files for this.
Edited by Bikerdude

Yes, my issue is that every time I run TDM it modifies tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 so that next time you run tdm_update.exe, it finds a size mismatch and redownloads it.

Please report this issue to bugtracker.

Be sure to include there a back link to your initial post in this thread.

This issue is not urgent, so most likely it will be fixed in 2.07.

I think tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 has some issues with zip compression.

When you run TDM, it repacks the pk4 file: so that all ogg files are not compressed. By intent, this should not cause any problems, because tdm_package now follows exactly the same compression rules. That's why you are expected to receive a pk4 file already packed as intended, so that the game won't change it. In fact, this idea works perfectly for many other pk4 files which contain ogg or roq files, but for some reason tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 is different.

I think tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 has some issues with zip compression.

When you run TDM, it repacks the pk4 file: so that all ogg files are not compressed. By intent, this should not cause any problems, because tdm_package now follows exactly the same compression rules. That's why you are expected to receive a pk4 file already packed as intended, so that the game won't change it. In fact, this idea works perfectly for many other pk4 files which contain ogg or roq files, but for some reason tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 is different.

There should be no need to repack something that is expected to be packed as needed already. That functionality looks like an artifact from the past, that could be removed now.

Please report this issue to bugtracker.

Be sure to include there a back link to your initial post in this thread.

This issue is not urgent, so most likely it will be fixed in 2.07.

Bug reported: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4780

Issue with default.cfg located in tdm_base01.pk4.

In the console it shows errors for commands:

execing default.cfg
Unknown command 'grayman'
Unknown command './devel/release/default.cfg.'
Unknown command 'a'
Unknown command 'new'
Unknown command 'NOT'
Unknown command 'anyone'
Unknown command 'use'
Unknown command 'console'
Unknown command 'next'
Unknown command 'prev'
Unknown command 'previous'
Unknown command 'next'
Unknown command 'crouch'
Unknown command 'Lean'
Unknown command 'lean'
Unknown command 'Readables'
Unknown command 'spyglass'
Unknown command 'compass'
Unknown command 'lantern'
Unknown command 'maps'
Unknown command 'objectives'
Unknown command 'keys'
Unknown command 'lockpicks'
Unknown command 'lean'
Unknown command 'Inventory'
Unknown command 'Mantle'
Unknown command 'creep'
Unknown command 'frob'
Unknown command 'inventory'
execing Darkmod.cfg

This is caused by incorrect comment character.

It's currently ";" and it should be "//"

Replacing all the semicolons with double forward slash fixes the warnings in console.