The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

On a related note, there's quite a number of other prefabs outside of any folder at the moment.

Those have been there for a long time. I got about 85% of the way through cleaning up the prefab folder, but didn't finish everything. That will have to wait for 2.06. I'll remove the outdated stagecoach though.

• Like 1

Spring and I talked about releasing these in 2.06. You prefer 2.07?

Sure, I had no preference for 2.07 so 2.06 is fine. Though I'd first like to sort out the prefabs (i.e. include a moving setup) and see what can be done with the shadowmesh.

• Like 1

The next build package is available for testing.

7390 – Another fog fix (nbohr1more)

7392 – Packager fix for file not decompressing properly (stgatilov)

15193 – Fix “EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES” (again) (nbohr1more)

15194 – 4781: More water fixes (nbohr1more)

15195 – Remove redundant sort values from glass materials (nbohr1more)

15197 – Make CubicLight attenuation match between ARB and GLSL modes (nbohr1more)

15205 – Build new Packager (taaaki)

Also regenerated script/tdm_events.script for 2.06 (grayman).

• Like 1

I might look over the weekend if someone posts a save game.

I've uploaded a saved game from Shadows of Northdale : http://www.mindplaces.com/save/scroll_flicker.save

It's the same spot as this video:

Thanks

I'm testing this on SVN version, radeon rx560 / win10

Likewise I uploaded Closemouthed Shadows saves for both 2.06 and SVN. :)

No visible flicker

Also, you can load test map "tavern" (dmap tavern + map tavern). The lamp near starting position shows the problem.

No visible flicker

I've uploaded a saved game from Shadows of Northdale : http://www.mindplace...ll_flicker.save

The provided save brings me to the map start.

Is it this spot?

If so, no visible flicker

My .cfg attached

post-3508-0-00776900-1525947743_thumb.jpg

Darkmod - Copy.txt

Are you using the most recent beta release, from two days ago? The save should drop you right in front of the door.

Are you using the most recent beta release, from two days ago? The save should drop you right in front of the door.

I'm testing this on SVN version, radeon rx560 / win10

I assumed testing for the beta release would be done on the beta build. The two builds aren't compatible, which is why the saved game isn't working. I can make one compatible with SVN tonight if needed.

How was that one fixed?

Nvidia fixed that one. But it also never happened on the GLSL version.

Shouldn't testing for the beta release be done on the beta build? The two builds aren't compatible, which is why the saved game isn't working.

Needs to be done in both SVN and Beta because the branches diverge and the work needs to be back-ported.

@Duzenko, you're gonna need to SVN check-out the "2.06 Release" branch to have 2.06 saves work.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Needs to be done in both SVN and Beta because the branches diverge and the work needs to be back-ported.

@Duzenko, you're gonna need to SVN check-out the "2.06 Release" branch to have 2.06 saves work.

If it is an nvidia bug it will take a while for me to set up a test rig.

Yeah. It almost certainly is an Nvidia bug if it "looks like another bug of theirs" and it "cannot be reproduced

on other hardware" but "can be reproduced in both SVN and 2.06 on Nvidia hardware".

Pretty low probability that all those align coincidentally.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Out of interest, what is the multicore enhancement actually doing? I had to turn it off because it caused the framerate to crater in certain scenes, e.g. the corner of the pawnbroker's house in 'The Rats Triumphant'. This using the 64-bit linux binary on a 24-core Threadripper chip, so it's not like there's a shortage of CPU cores to go around.

It moves the game tick to a different thread than the render thread. Could be that Linux has poor support for glFenceSync.

Just re-ran it with showFPS to get some numbers. It's actually more interesting than I thought. With it disabled, (again, playing 'The Rats Triumphant') I get about 30fps pretty consistently, the lower bound being around 25fps. With multicore support enabled, the typical frame rate shoots up to 55-60fps, but then has little episodes where it stalls at 11-15 fps resulting in horrible judder for no obvious reason.

If this is potentially a glitch in the OpenGL implementation, I'll keep an eye out as the graphics stack evolves, it could easily be a bug/weakness in the amdgpu or Mesa drivers. It might, for instance, work perfectly with an nVidia card and the proprietary drivers.

Out of interest, what is the multicore enhancement actually doing? I had to turn it off because it caused the framerate to crater in certain scenes, e.g. the corner of the pawnbroker's house in 'The Rats Triumphant'. This using the 64-bit linux binary on a 24-core Threadripper chip, so it's not like there's a shortage of CPU cores to go around.

AMD doesn't make a 24 core threadripper, there's an 8, 12 and 16 core variants.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

@tapewolf: That doubled framerate is what the multicore enhancement should actually deliver. That it tanks framerates in certain places is somewhat surprising and could have any number of reasons. OpenGL is a potential culprit, yes.

I have additional improvements in the works (see http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19257-testers-and-reviewers-wanted-bfg-style-vertex-cache/)which improve the way OpenGL is utilised in the multi-core setup. There is a chance that could fix your issues, and I would invite you to test those changes, but I don't have a Linux build ready, sorry :(

• Like 1

AMD doesn't make a 24 core threadripper, there's an 8, 12 and 16 core variants.

24 logical cores, then. That is what is being presented to Darkmod at the application level, so it seems the more useful number to quote.

Don't forget that some people shut down one of the dies on Threadripper since the interface between them can give up to about 800ns of latency, and people who are obsessive about framerates don't like that. As a result, '12 cores' could either mean '12 physical cores' or '6 physical cores presented as 12 logical cores'. If I describe the CPU as having 24 cores, that can only mean 24 logical cores, since as you rightly point out, there is no Threadripper chip with 24 physical cores at this time.

@tapewolf: That doubled framerate is what the multicore enhancement should actually deliver. That it tanks framerates in certain places is somewhat surprising and could have any number of reasons. OpenGL is a potential culprit, yes.

I have additional improvements in the works (see http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19257-testers-and-reviewers-wanted-bfg-style-vertex-cache/)which improve the way OpenGL is utilised in the multi-core setup. There is a chance that could fix your issues, and I would invite you to test those changes, but I don't have a Linux build ready, sorry :(

Thanks. I could try running the win64 binary via WINE, but that may complicate matters. If there's source code available I could attempt to compile it, though.

Can you mask all threads except 0 and 2 and maybe 4?

In Windows we do this in task manager, with processor affinity.

Not sure how to do that for specific processes, and in any case you can't switch out of Darkmod while it's running, unfortunately. However, I can and did offline all the cores except for 0 and 2, which I think is what you're asking for: two, non-shared cores, right?

Either way, it improved matters. Didn't fix it, but it made the stuttering a lot less noticeable. It was dropping to 20-something fps instead of 11-16.

Okay, time to experiment, it's possible AMD has set Thread 0 to be Package 0 core 0, and Thread 2 is Package 1 core 0 etc.

Try masking the app to thread 0 and 13, and some other combination.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Okay, time to experiment, it's possible AMD has set Thread 0 to be Package 0 core 0, and Thread 2 is Package 1 core 0 etc.

Try masking the app to thread 0 and 13, and some other combination.

I switched the CPU properly into NUMA mode so that the OS was aware of the two packages. On the 1920, Node 0 has cores 0-5 and 12-17, Node 1 has 6-11 and 18-23.

I offlined everything on Node 1. That hasn't made any difference.

Earlier I also tried disabling SMT completely in the BIOS (i.e. so the OS sees 12 physical cores and no hyperthreaded ones), that didn't help either. I have not yet tried doing both at once.

Btw, are the scenes where it stutters always the same, or is it (somewhat) random?

It does seem to be pretty consistent, but sometimes you do have to be pixel-perfect for it to start stalling. I originally assumed that the machine was very busy, but later realised it was repeatable.

While replaying 'The Rats Triumphant' to test 2.06 I managed to reproduce the effect consistently enough to experiment with the in-game settings and find out which setting was related to it.

Most of the exterior areas don't do this much, and stay pretty steady at 40-50 fps. Inside the Pawnbroker's house, standing on his pot-plants or crossing the room is a good way to bring the framerate down. Just now I managed to find a position where the game was pretty consistently slow, I'll have to see if the effect persists across a savegame.

Edited by tapewolf