The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

OK I gave 2.06 a go, but there's something annoying about the menu. The mouse definitely feels sluggish/floaty in the main menu screens in 2.06, whereas the mouse responds nicely and sharp in 2.05. This is without adjusting any console settings and just using my existing Darkmod.cfg. However, in the game itself, the mouse input lag disappears entirely. It's only present in the menu screens. I should also mention I'm not running with vsync, which commonly ads some input lag. It's very weird.

Hmm.

Try adding an autoexec.cfg with seta r_displayRefresh "60" (or whatever your refresh rate)

Since we now cap FPS at around 144hz in the "uncapped" mode, maybe we should disable the com_fixTic 0

(old style 60hz cap) in the menus?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sorry but the modified display refresh didn't change anything. I think I'll just get used to it because I doubt there's much justification to waste development time to fix it.

Here's something worth mentioning though. When I enable the FPS counter in 2.06, the menu is locked at a value flickering between 57-58 FPS, while in the game (which doesn't have any mouse lag at all), when the scene is not demanding the FPS will flicker between 61-62 FPS. In 2.05 it's 61-62 FPS for both menu and in-game. Maybe uncapping the menu FPS would help, I dunno.

I've also experimented with com_fixedTic 0. This command also existed in 2.05 though. Is the only difference now that it's capped to a more reasonable value in 2.06 than 1000 FPS in 2.05? Or does it fix other side-effects from setting it to 0 in 2.05? I seem to recall an instance 2.05 where messing with fixedTic (or was it preciseTic?) cause fluctuation in the game's FPS to essentially speed up or slow-mo animation in the game.

Edited by Atomica

Also this is entirely unrelated to 2.06 but more a means of heaping shameless praise and boosting egos, but during tests I used the St. Lucia FM and by God, just walking into the initial open area and observing all the lighting, world details and stuff lying around, the game genuinely looks AAA-worthy. You guys really did a great job with the engine as well as showing off what skilled mappers can do.

All you need now of course is some shitty film grain, chromatic aberration to fuck up the edge of light sources and motion blur to obscure what you're looking at and you'll be right. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the work.

Thus far, I seem to be having bad luck with this MSAA change.

With changing to any MSAA mode usually disables Soft Shadows due to GL errors.
I then peppered FrameBuffer.cpp with GL_CheckErrors and qglFinish operations
and was able to get the two to cooperate and encountered another issue...

When you enter the mission, the click to start prompt is permanently burned into the FBO
postprocess overlay.

I cured that by setting r_lightscale 0 then toggle r_useFBO then returning lightscale to 2.

I was then able to see MSAA with FBO in it's full glory... but... then the lightgem stopped functioning...

Eg.

It's a good thing we didn't rush to get this into 2.06 :D

Edit:

As a sanity check, I recompiled your code as-is again.

I was able to get it working via:

1) Install preferred mission

2) Set preferred AA and Soft Shadow settings in the GUI

3) Quit TDM

4) Start TDM

5) Start Mission

It's just a bit finicky about "when" you set the settings I guess.

Edit 2:

Hmm it was working with Inn Business but Closemouthed Shadows seems to exhibit the ghosted

bloom image and lightgem bug.

• Like 1

I'll have a look, but in general, if you mess with any settings influencing the fbo, you may need to restart the game. Changing them ad-hoc may or may not work, depending on the current state.

That being said, I can confirm the ghosting issue in 'Closemouthed Shadows'. Weird :D

Given that this is not going into 2.06, we should probably take this discussion to another thread, though.

Edit: Found the error. Bloom post-processing really needs its own fbo. Then we can also get rid of r_fboSharedColor as an option. Will update when I'm done.

Edit2: Fixed the post processing ghosting error: https://github.com/fholger/thedarkmod/releases/download/fbo_msaa_v2/TheDarkModx64.zip

Edited by cabalistic
  • Like 2

• Durandall's new Scrolling mission browsing GUI!

Is the removal of green checkmarks intentional? I'm late to the party, but I can't find mentions of this anywhere. Those were pretty useful.

Is the removal of green checkmarks intentional? I'm late to the party, but I can't find mentions of this anywhere. Those were pretty useful.

Nope, it is tracked as issue #4712.

It happens when you have more missions installed than fit on one page.

• Like 1

Issue with candle physics (you grab the candle ducking, you stand up but it's still stuck so you move up the camera with the mouse and the candle get a massive acceleration :D )

Maybe it's due the sound attribute of a surface?

Video: https://www21.zippyshare.com/v/cYmYHOYK/file.html

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I tested the candle on 2.05 and 2.06.

2.05:

The candle wouldn't settle properly on the carpet, but it came up off the carpet cleanly when standing up.

2.06:

The candle wouldn't settle properly, AND it shot up when standing up.

So there's a problem with that particular carpet texture. There's no nodraw_carpet covering the carpet, so we're dealing with the carpet itself.

Not being able to settle properly hints that it's a friction problem on the carpet (happens in 2.05 and 2.06).

The leaping problem is prolly due to 2.06 physics changes.

Not serious enough to hold up 2.06.

Pls file a bugtracker issue pointing to the note describing the problem, and mention that it occurs in "Sir Taffsalot's Sword" so the dev knows which carpet has the problem.

• Like 2

Can someone make this change to fix the check marks please.

guis/mainmenu_newgame.gui

Line 694:

rect 0,0,255,245

Edit:

If anyone wants to test, this gives us more name space.

It does move the scroll bar off the list, but it looks fine. (Actually, it looks better really.)

rect 0,0,270,245
bordercolor 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.2
forecolor 0, 0, 0, 1
hovercolor 1, 1, 1, 1
textscale 0.29
listname "missionList"
font "fonts/carleton"
tabstops "0, 228" // Mission Name, Mission Complete Icon
tabAligns "0, 1" // Left, Center
tabTypes "0, 1" // Text, Icon
tabIconSizes "0,0, 14,14" // TabStop 1 size 15,15
tabIconVOffset "0, 1"
tabvaligns "0, 1" // Only works for icon columns

Edited by Durandall
  • Like 3

Changing the textscale is unwise as it usually misaligns all the missions names from the background alternating pattern.

I'm not sure the current value is perfect and may subtly misalign as one scrolls down through enough missions.

If we want to use custom textscales and avoid the pattern problem, we should consider a clean menu background graphic.

It should then be possible to integrate the alternating pattern into the list object itself avoiding any misalignment issues.

Edit:

Scratch that, the listdef isn't truly smooth scrolling.

No need to worry about misalignments once it has been eyed out once.

Still, don't change the textscale unless you want to manually align it again.

Edited by Durandall
  • Like 1

Sure.

I just made a small fudge and tested in multiple resolutions.

It looks good enough, but obviously we should have a more robust solution with more flexibility.

Reverted text scale at 15218

• Like 1

It looks good enough, but obviously we should have a more robust solution with more flexibility.

Since it looks to me that some of you are working on the mission list and not the game itself at the moment :),

how about considering the following two suggestions which I already made a long time ago, at least for 2.07:

Add a "Select all to download" button in "Mission Archive" window, below "Select mission to download".

Add a "Remove Mission" button in "New Missions" menu besides the "Refresh List" button.

The second "final release" package is now available.

Remember to use the same tdm_mirrors.txt that you used with the first "final release" package.

Changes:

Linux binaries are now Release rather than Debug versions. We need Linux users to verify that both binaries run well.

Durandall's menu change for showing which missions have been completed has been included. @NB: Please check that I picked up the correct changes for this fix.

Let's give this a couple days. I really would like this to be the final final release package.

• Like 1

tdm_epifire_furniture.mtr isn't included with 2.06, making the leather chair (models/darkmod/furniture/seating/leather_chair_001.lwo) lose its material "leather_chair_001" (which is the only material said .mtr contained)

I know for a fact Accountant 1 is affected, probably a bunch more missions as well.