The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Since the default setting shipped with 2.06 will have s_playDefaultSound set to 0, no player will hear any beeps for missing shaders.

But I agree that the lights should be fixed.

Ah so it isnt atm then...?

Done, just put the default shader back and reduced the volume using s_volume to -15

The default is set to 0 in the 2.06 package builds.

You prolly have a leftover setting of 1 in your config file, which overrides the default.

If any players hear beeps with existing missions, we'll just tell them to turn the cvar off. I don't think anybody's going to go back into old maps just to fix missing sounds.

Started playing with this again tonight. Forgive me, but I can't check, as bugs.angua.at is down. However,sometimes the sword does not work. I draw it, and it swings, but no sound is played, and the AI does not react to it. They don't get hurt, and they don't block it. It's like I'm not actually swinging anything at them. Sometimes the sword does work though. This is TDM2.06, 64-bit version running natively on Linux.

Is this a known problem? (makes not getting caught very important!)

Another video on the stuttering. Notice how looking around looks like in comparison to movement. Now I think that might be player movement-related problem, not something wrong with framerate or frame pacing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkuoyp7voj9f87l/2018-03-06_20-49-16.mp4?dl=1

Never had that sword issue ever, sorry.

@Judith, that video is a good example, looking around is super smooth, but not moving.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4493

see comments about rev 7137

The player movement framerate was reduced to prevent physics issues with the player getting stuck on curbs and stairs.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4493

see comments about rev 7137

The player movement framerate was reduced to prevent physics issues with the player getting stuck on curbs and stairs.

Is this what's causing the farking stutter?

If so, why have I been banging my head against the wall about this these past few weeks, when it was known to others that movement framerate was tinkered with way back in September?

Argh!!!

:(

About comments on that bugtracker issue: problems with how the game works in 300 fps or more are really, really irrelevant. In most games, all physics and animation is tied to framerate, and nobody cares what's going to happen over 200 fps or so. Most games are unplayable. This stuff has to work up to target fps, which is never above 60 fps for multi-platform games. Don't bother with solving issues where there are none.

Is this what's causing the farking stutter?

If so, why have I been banging my head against the wall about this these past few weeks, when it was known to others that movement framerate was tinkered with way back in September?

Argh!!!

Stutter is a pretty generic term. It can refer to performance issues, stalls, etc. Without the clue about

the camera being smooth verses the player movement being rough I wasn't sure what was being reported.

Duzenko struggled to fix one problem without introducing others during that period.

As Blue_Pill has been back to the forums recently maybe (they) will know how to do a proper fix that doesn't

involve messing with animation rates?

(Or a better hack that only messes with the rates during movement on stairs and curbs...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

60 fps feels like garbage on monitors that aren't a multiple of 60. 144hz for example

Also the engine is now capped at 250fps

IMO it's safe to say that this is still in far tech enthusiast area, there's even no hardware that can run newest games in that framerate yet. I think monitors with higher resolutions (1440p, 2160p) are more common among gamers than higher refresh rate ones. So it's no use to turn things upside down for like 1-2 people in the forums who have those monitors. (Lower framerate in 1440p vs 1080p in the same missions will be a bigger issue IMO.)

• Like 4

So it's no use to turn things upside down for like 1-2 people in the forums who have those monitors.

That horse is well out of the barn already.

there's even no hardware that can run newest games in that framerate yet. I think monitors with higher resolutions (1440p, 2160p) are more common among gamers than higher refresh rate ones.

Well, that's your opinion I guess.

I only have an old 4770k and 980ti, and I get 250 FPS in TDM with everything at max except in very strange situations.

Doom 2016 runs at 150-200 fps (engine cap) on Ultra everything.

Checking a couple of sites, almost half the monitors for sale at 1080p are greater than 60hz. With a large chunk of them being 144hz (for example: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1080p+&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1)

The industry is moving away from 60hz displays, as even cheap panels are able to hit 75hz or higher.

And I don't know what gamers you're talking about but higher refresh rates have been the driving force in the pro gaming scene for years now (CS:GO, Quake, ect).

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I understand that competitive multiplayer games may need higher refresh rates, but TDM is on kind of opposite side of the spectrum. Besides, in the current state of the engine you actually got the opposite of what higher framerate does i.e. higher chance to see an enemy with fast turning or at the sides of the screen. Right now it looks like the middle of the screen runs in 60 fps and the sides in 30 fps.

As for the stats, I wanted to cite Steam hardware survey, where 1080p was slowly giving way to 1440p and 2160p, but with fucking PUBG being so popular, the 63% of Steam users is now Chinese, so these stats don't mean anything anymore.

Checking a couple of sites, almost half the monitors for sale at 1080p are greater than 60hz. With a large chunk of them being 144hz.

That only means new monitors for new users. How often do you change monitors?

Edited by Judith

Meh, I played King of the Mountain last night at 250fps, was nice and smooooooooooth, hardly any stutter at all.

It's insane how much nicer higher refresh rates are, but you won't know just how good it is until you actually spend about a week with it. Then when you have to go back to 60hz, it's awful.

I'm sure I could get used to 60hz again after a few weeks, but I'd rather not lol.

And isn't that kind of racist saying that Chinese people don't mean anything?

They're gamers, playing a game, they count.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

IMO, it would be wiser to create a hardware poll here (or on TTLG) first, and then make such changes. It seems like one person had a problem, another one said "ok, I'll fix it", and you broke the game for everyone who plays games with Vsync and in 60 Hz (so I'm guessing basically for everyone else).

What on earth is the point in having a refresh rate faster than your monitor can display?

I understand that people who have a 144 Hz monitor would want the game to run at 144 Hz, but why run it at 300 Hz? That means that over half of the frames rendered by the game will never actually be shown on the monitor.

• Like 1

Higher refresh rates are beneficial for VR. 75 Hz seems to be where VR starts to be enjoyable for a lot of people. So the cap should probably be a fair amount above that.

TDM's gameplay looks like it is suitable for VR. Would be nice if that use case would not get nerfed because of too low an FPS cap.

• Like 1

75 Hz seems to be where VR starts to be enjoyable for a lot of people.

I haven't got to that point because I feel nauseous when using VR, but I've heard 90 fps is when things start to play real nice.

That said, it might be the moment when Steam stats are worth mentioning:

obraz.png

Well, well.

I tested a WIP on 2.05, and here I am crossing a carpeted floor and the forward movement stutters.

So what I've been experiencing has been there since 2.05, and it's possible that what others have been seeing is either the same thing, or something different, which I haven't experienced.