The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Just wanted to add that the latest 2.06 beta also contains noticeable improvements to soft shadows:

15171 Soft stencil shadows: fixed the bug in converting vectors from world space into screen space.
15172 Soft stencil shadows: removed old code path (SOFT_SHADOWS_USE_SIMPLE_SPOT)
15173 Soft stencil shadows: added anti-halo patch.
Most importantly, you should no longer see light or dark "halos" around objects with soft shadows.
If you still participate in beta testing, it would be helpful if you enable soft shadows after update and pay a bit of attention to them.
If you have Linux OS, it would be great if you at least start some mission with soft shadows and check that you actually see them. The same probably applies to owners of AMD and Intel video cards (or non-standard drivers).
  • Like 1

It appears NB already fixed it in the code.

Yep.

If folks don't wanna wait for the next build they can backup their TheDarkMod.exe and ExtLibs.dll then place this compile in their 2.06 beta directory:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hj0mWx0SzSHUDaX3HRZx1-N5dQR6uHpF

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Most importantly, you should no longer see light or dark "halos" around objects with soft shadows,If you still participate in beta testing, it would be helpful if you enable soft shadows after update and pay a bit of attention to them.

Will test, thanks for the continued work on the soft shadows fella!

@All, since the latest update all footstep sounds are missing, can someone else confirm please.?

Edited by Bikerdude

Nope, doens't work for me either.

I noticed in the console all the footstep sounds are missing.

I see this

------ Initializing File System ------
Repacking K:\darkmod206Beta\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4...
WARNING:Cannot rename K:\darkmod206Beta\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp to K:\darkmod206Beta\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4

So the game failed to rename a file.

I deleted the file, ran the updater and got a fresh version.

After running TDM this time it repacked the file just fine without error and I have footstep sounds again.

@B1ker, check your console for errors.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Nope, doens't work for me either.

I noticed in the console all the footstep sounds are missing.

WARNING:Cannot rename K:\darkmod206Beta\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp to K:\darkmod206Beta\tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4

I start feeling bad about it...

Please, if anyone else has missing sounds, immediately copy your tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 file somewhere (and tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp, if it exists nearby).

Then share these files with us.

• Like 1

@B1ker, check your console for errors.

Couldn't find that arror in the console.

Please, if anyone else has missing sounds, immediately copy your tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 file somewhere (and tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4.tmp, if it exists nearby).

Then share these files with us.

Here yer go - mega, no temp version this time though.

And just discovered another bug, on a few of my maps I have ambient fox in the map and in the sky box. But since the latest 2 commits the fog light in the skybox has become brighter/thicker -

// entity 0
{
"classname" "light"
"name" "fog_sky"
"_color" "0.165 0.165 0.165"
"falloff" "0"
"light_center" "0 0 0"
"light_radius" "80 80 42"
"nodiffuse" "0"
"noshadows" "1"
"nospecular" "1"
"origin" "2800 272 2366"
"parallel" "0"
"rotation" "-8.42937e-08 1 0 -1 -8.42937e-08 0 0 0 1"
"shaderParm3" "100"
"texture" "fogs/basicfog"
}

post-496-0-71513500-1524913194_thumb.jpg

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4782

Edited by Bikerdude

And just discovered another bug, on a few of my maps I have ambient fox in the map and in the sky box. But since the latest 2 commits the fog light in the skybox has become brighter/thicker -

// entity 0
{
"classname" "light"
"name" "fog_sky"
"falloff" "0"
"light_center" "0 0 0"
"nodiffuse" "0"
"noshadows" "1"
"nospecular" "1"
"origin" "2800 272 2366"
"parallel" "0"
"shaderParm3" "100"
}

How does it look in 2.05?

// entity 0
{
"classname" "light"
"name" "fog_sky"
"falloff" "0"
"light_center" "0 0 0"
"nodiffuse" "0"
"noshadows" "1"
"nospecular" "1"
"origin" "2800 272 2366"
"parallel" "0"
"shaderParm3" "100"
}
attachicon.gifpenny2_2018-04-28_11.57.06.jpg

@biker. Does that fog issue happen with the executable

I uploaded to Google drive a few posts ago?

The last update still has issues.

Here's a 64-bit build in case this is a VERY large map where you're seeing this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TkOYRsA_UN2H29ZT8ojOvSqxr0o1w0Ew/view?usp=sharing

Fog has been broken (too thin) for awhile. Only a recent update fixed it to look like 2.05

Nobody noticed because the thinner fog was not subjectively worse in many missions and most

missions don't even use fog.

So the game failed to rename a file.

Well, I have found and fixed the reason why this file always triggered a repack (4780). It was a stupid case sensitivity issue.

However, it bothers me much more that engine repacking does not work for several people.

According to console logs, the whole repacking process works perfectly, something fails along these two lines:

//replace the old pk4 file
remove(srcZipfile);
SAFECALL(rename(tempZipfile, srcZipfile), "Cannot rename %s to %s", tempZipfile, srcZipfile);

I can only think of two possible reasons:

1. TDM does not have permissions to change/delete the existing pk4 file (e.g. if you run tdm_update under administrator but run TDM as user).
  2. The old pk4 file is still open by something when we try to delete it. And since the file is closed immediately before this line and closing does not fail, it should be some other program.
  3. The new pk4 file is still open by something when we try to rename it. And once again: since we close it beforehand. it may be some external program (maybe antivirus scans this file since it was just created?).

UPDATE: Bikerdude and AluminiumHaste: When the problem happens and you exit TDM, which of the two files are present and which are missing? Do you have XXX.pk4.tmp file present but XXX.pk4 file missing? Do you have any sort of antivirus with something like "active protection"?

P.S. For those suffering from the problem.

If you look into console and see "Repacking XXX.pk4 ..." message immediately followed by "WARNING:Cannot rename XXX.pk4.tmp to XXX.pk4" without any messages between them, then you can simply do the file rename yourself. Just rename XXX.pk4.tmp to XXX.pk4 manually and run the game.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Bikerdude and AluminiumHaste: When the problem happens and you exit TDM, which of the two files are present and which are missing? Do you have XXX.pk4.tmp file present but XXX.pk4 file missing? Do you have any sort of antivirus with something like "active protection"?

P.S. For those suffering from the problem.

If you look into console and see "Repacking XXX.pk4 ..." message immediately followed by "WARNING:Cannot rename XXX.pk4.tmp to XXX.pk4" without any messages between them, then you can simply do the file rename yourself. Just rename XXX.pk4.tmp to XXX.pk4 manually and run the game.

Well last night I reapplied my ownership (Windows 7) of the entire darkmod folder, restarted the game and the footstep sounds came back.

Edited by Bikerdude

Is there a 64-bit linux binary available anywhere? Or source so I can try rolling my own? The 2.06 beta updater is still returning a 32-bit executable and those are only going to get harder to run as distros start to wind down support for 32-bit software.

TheDarkModx64.exe is the Windows compile in the beta package. I thought there was an equivalent in *.so compile? No?

Edit:

Looking at a screen from Biker's 2.06 install:

thedarkmod.x64

is the Linux compile.

Has this fix for incorrect EFX environment size handling already been applied?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19310-incorrect-efx-environment-size-handling/?do=findComment&comment=418035

- In Volta 1 I noticed that with SFX Volume at maximum (s_volume_db = 0) sounds become distorted when OpenAL EFX is turned on. Setting s_volume_db = -9 fixes this but it's not ideal because I have to reset this for other missions.

- Transitions from one EFX region to another are also noticeable, there is some kind of popping noise. This can be heard right at the start of Volta 1, a few meters from the starting point there is a border between two EFX regions (check console output to see if you moved from one region to the other) and moving between the two regions always causes a popping noise for me. Maybe it's possible to fade out the old effect and fade in the new effect to make the transition smoother or something like that.

I'm using the 64 bit Linux build.

• Like 1

Has this fix for incorrect EFX environment size handling already been applied?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19310-incorrect-efx-environment-size-handling/?do=findComment&comment=418035

No, this fix was not applied.

The immediate change of EFX parameters can be quite noticeable.

I think it can be smoothened somehow, but probably it is better to rethink the whole EFX algorithm. The current implementation (just apply predefined effect of the location we are in) is too basic. Not surprising, given that EAX was included into Doom 3 solely to please Creative.

• Like 1