The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs by Goldwell (2017/11/08)

Goldwell

Really like the design of the level, especially the manor and the use of modules. I'm still working through

it. Here's some of the things I've noted so far that you might want to look at in next update:

Loved the voice acting in the sewer about the spiders. lol Who did those voices Goldwell?

Some things your beta testers missed.

When you come out of the vent, into the a small market area. There's what I presume to be an Inn (lots of talking). You

can climb up there, jump up the next bay window, jump back over to the 3rd story, and work your way right along

a very narrow window ledge then turn the corner. There's a pole jutting out from a building there, if you jump to that,

then jump into the gap facing away from the market, you can get out of the map and have a good old poke around

where you're not supposed to be lol. I was surprised to see a guard leaning against nothing next to the void lol

Coming down the main stairs of the Lords place on the left side of the square arch into next room, is some

z fighting between two pieces of wood. If I find anything else, I'll let you know. I'm not really looking for

stuff, but just found these while exploring. Loving it :D

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Finished this one tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it overall. I was impressed by the puzzles, in particular the

electrified floor. The solution was clear but still clever. I would have enjoyed it slightly more if the window in the apartment had been a tad bigger...I had a lot of trouble fitting things through there, and some packages simply wouldn't fit for me. Then when I managed to get in, I somehow missed the frobbable scroll. I didn't even realize there was an objective related to it (my own fault for not reading). I had to come back at the end to get it.

I also quite enjoyed shooting the lever in the kitchen to let down the ladder.

Loved Epi's cylinder grammaphone model and the message it contained. What the hell did I eat to find the doctor's key??

Oh, also I really enjoyed some of the small, thoughtful details, like when you took the vase and the flowers and dirt spilled on the table! :)

Springheel's post reminded me of something...

Apparently I was too dumb to work out how to deal with the electrified floor. I couldn't work out if there was a method for solving it without losing at least some health, so I just quickly ran to the power box after hitting the floor and turning it off. Suffered a bit of health loss, but since it wasn't lethal I just let it go and moved on.

It's nice to see that the stupid among us can still brute force their way through if they can't solve the apparent puzzle. :)

There are three ways to solve that puzzle, you can either cut down the net with a sword or shoot it with an arrow and climb over the boxes that fall, or go back into the working slumber apartments and across the hall there are some moveable crates that you can bring one by one into the tower and make a little bridge (this method is the most tedious) and finally just bolting across and accepting the damage

can someone point me to the last secret please? must be somewhere around lord's place..(?)

In order for me to help you out I need to know which secrets have you have found so far. Please be sure to use the spoiler tag when replying.

Finally got around to finishing this lovely mission.

I just loved the attic. very very sneaky to hide it up there. It had great feel to it, I was half expecting a jump scare,

but then remembered this is TDM and we rarely get those lol. Just loved the mission. I never did find a way

to get past the electrified floor, so I just ran across losing half my health. The room above there was very well

done. Though I expected to see a suicide note or something.

Really liked the whole idea of this, it's small but very well done. Thanks for the experience Goldwell. Who did the voice acting

for the guards in the sewer?

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

In order for me to help you out I need to know which secrets have you have found so far. Please be sure to use the spoiler tag when replying.

in mixed order I have the sewers, the apartm. you rope up I think, the purse under hat, one that was inside a brick on a wall but don't remember where and something on top of a bookcase and again I don't remember where.

I enjoyed this mission on 2.06 with soft shadows. There where some graphics glitches that i attribute to 2.06 beeing beta. It still was a fantastic experience.

Minor findings follow:

- All spiders clip into the ground on several occasions making them harder to hit. They might need moar monster clip.

- The small barrel behind the alchemist's counter is levitating a bit.

- The architecture of the lord's flat is somewhat odd with its wide hallways and tiny rooms.

in mixed order I have the sewers, the apartm. you rope up I think, the purse under hat, one that was inside a brick on a wall but don't remember where and something on top of a bookcase and again I don't remember where.

There are two secrets in the sewers. One is fairly easy to find and it's the chest at the bottom of the spider cave.

As for the second which is a bit trickier to find look near the doorways in the sewer, specifically look up.

Or if you're after a more direct location

After the doorway that's near the Lower Ravenward Sewer sign, the one where the fence stops, look up and you'll see a small piece of loot up on a plank of wood there

There are two secrets in the sewers. One is fairly easy to find and it's the chest at the bottom of the spider cave.

As for the second which is a bit trickier to find look near the doorways in the sewer, specifically look up.

Or if you're after a more direct location

After the doorway that's near the Lower Ravenward Sewer sign, the one where the fence stops, look up and you'll see a small piece of loot up on a plank of wood there

Thanks Goldwell for the missions and the tip!

After playing the two pre-packed missions (A new job and The tears of St. Lucia) and the short Bakery job, this was actually my fourth mission I played in TDM.

Simply WOW.

The map design is really very nice (maybe just a bit too linear - it's impossible to get lost or have difficulties to find the right way - but still beautifully designed).

Exteriors and interiors are simply marvelous....really a masterpiece. And when I saw the raindrops....oh my...

The whole mission is relatively easy (from my n00b perspective), the only time I got stuck was - how to get to the main objective?

But after some trying and thinking (well, LOT of trying and consecutive thinking) it was so easy.

I had lot of fun, didn't use any spoilers...and appreciate the balanced puzzles (not baby-ish easy but not too hard to discourage).

The BLAME:

This mission has a very strong story behind which makes it VERY attractive.

There are lot of surprises and logical consequences during the play.

But - as many said before - after finishing the mission I still have (much) more questions than answers.

I was dragged into the story and now I demand the answers!!!

:-)

Many thanks, Goldwell.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words!

Work on the accountant 3 is already underway, which will hopefully provide some answers to your curiosities :)

• Like 1

Great mission, kept the sewer idea and the windows with the water shaders from the original Accountant 1, but added a lot more depth and detail.

Pros:
- Intro (as always in your FMs)
- Audio design (best in a TDM mission so far, loved the dialogues)
- Good visual narrative (safe key -> attic mentioned -> looking around -> arrow to bring down the ladder -> safe -> success)
- Secrets
- The statue that moved after you steal a painting

Cons:
- None

Edited by Cookie
  • Like 2

I was playing this , my screen went whitish but still had sound.

Clicking on DarkMod shortcut I now get 'Error during initialization' message box.All my desktop shortcuts have got bigger too!Antone got any ideas? Thanks.

I now think flipping Windows 10 tried to update when I was playing the mission.Grrrrrr.

Edited by raymeld

I was playing this , my screen went whitish but still had sound.

Clicking on DarkMod shortcut I now get 'Error during initialization' message box.All my desktop shortcuts have got bigger too!Antone got any ideas? Thanks.

I now think flipping Windows 10 tried to update when I was playing the mission.Grrrrrr.

Sorry you're having to deal with that!

As a Windows 10 user myself I am pretty sure there is a mandatory fall update that has been rolling out over the past few weeks. After doing a quick google search it seems that some people have been having issues with the update too. Perhaps it tried to install in the background and windows had to stop a service to update it while TDM needed it which could have caused the odd issue you experienced.

I would recommend restarting your computer, if TDM still fails to run, try running the updater and that will redownload any files that aren't matched to what the official version is (that might solve any issue of corrupted files if that's what has happened).

Let me know if you get working.

Thanks Goldwell , do believe it is these mandatory updates which have caused it.Thanks Windows!

Will proceed along the lines you suggest and also restore Windows to the point before the wretched update.Nothing at all to do with the mission which I am enjoying immensely!

Edited by raymeld

Thanks Goldwell , do believe it is these mandatory updates which have caused it.Thanks Windows!

Will proceed along the linws you suggest and also restore Windows to the point before the wretched update.Nothing at all to do with the mission which I am enjoying immensely!

Good luck with getting it sorted! And glad to hear you're enjoying my mission :)

Now up and running again.Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh dear , turned on computer today and windows 10 update has reversed my changes.Desktop icons etc larger and DM giving error message above.Blasted windows , don't have time for this crap.