The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs by Goldwell (2017/11/08)

Goldwell

I ended up restoring to a restore point just before the wretched latest automatic update.For now I've set my updates to metered so Windows can't just do it.

That has put my computer and DarkMod right.I'll let them diwnload again when they correct the issue.

Now I know why I mostly use my tablet these days, but I do need the ancient desktop for odd things.

Sorry Goldwell to hijack your thread for a Windows rant , last post on the subject.And I'm really enjoying the updated mission by the way!

Loved this mission. It has this sort of perfect balance of exploration/ stealth/ story and lots of great detailing and audio work. I'm super excited to see where the campaign goes from here!

• Like 1

I liked it, but I think it was too easy and wasn't as detailed as TA2. Way too few guards (I think I remember 8 across the entire mission,) small interiors and little light which makes guards way too easy to avoid and knock out. A few missed opportunities too with no rope arrows to climb up the streets for side loot. The mission was basically just a 1 hour long breeze and I didn't really ever get lost since the map design was pretty simple.

• 2 weeks later...

This mission was so good! You are quickly becoming my favorite mapper, and I'm taking a lot of inspiration from you on my own map. Being able to explore other areas of the map not directly related to the story is brilliant and the eye candy of the streets was right up my alley, if you'll pardon the pun! The only thing that could make it better in my opinion would be a few more readables to add backbone to the setting and atmosphere.

I'm also a bit confused about the name of our protagonist. Is this the same Corbin as in A Score to Settle & A Reputation to Uphold? If so, where in the time line do the missions fit?

I only had one bug.

On my first run Corbin never gave the quip about shooting an arrow at the ladder switch, so I was left scratching my head for a long time. On my second run it played fine though, so it could have been a one time thing.

Eagerly awaiting AC3!!!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Wow Goldwell, this mission is a home run to me! Really enjoyed it. :D The attention to detail is pretty high with overall great lighting, sound, music and gameplay. The combination of lighting and sound made it a very immersive experience. You really covered all the bases and you can tell this was a well thought work. What I find most interesting is that compared to other missions, this was one of the most lineal, kind of on rails but at the same time it didn't feel like it was. Makes me think that sometimes lineal, with more events and game play elements in it fits quite well in TDM. So it was a refreshing change.

My one and only complaint is the level of lighting in the sewers is not at the level of the rest of the map. The light fixtures are too dim. I play with my brightness level low so I notice those details more often and it was basically pitch black so it gave the impression of being the rushed area.

Overall great mission which covers all bases pretty well with excellent, sound, music, lighting and gameplay. I only found 2 secrets tho. :angry:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's great to see people are enjoying this.

In regards to the sewer lighting my intention was just to keep it really dark down there as there is no natural light, and I wanted to capture the vibe of a dirty dimly lit sewer area which is why it's pretty much pitch black down there. Maybe I overdid it though :)

An exceptionally good mission in my opinion.

The rain theme was wonderfully executed, I got the feeling that I am really in a rainy environment sneaking around, protected by lower acoustic and visual detectability; this provided a believable degree of cover, comfort, coziness - hard to put my feelings into words here, but it was a good experience.

I especially enjoyed the transparent and often accessible windows, and took the outside atmosphere in through them; I stood still behind such a window for a minute or so just to view out and listen to the rain outside;

a very successful creation of ambience, very skillful.

There are many more great things to say about this mission, for example the many details and believable, immersive environment - but it speaks best about itself, so just play this mission.

I had a great time with this, thank you very much.

• Like 3

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Thank you so much for this great mission! It was great to return to The Metal Age for an hour! Hot and cold running atmosphere, very immersive.

Loved when the lord flipped on the light switch!

Loved the Dr. Office! There was even a place on the walls to put the patient files by the exam rooms?? It that what that was? And a creepy note note about some malpractice? How did I get that key? Did I eat medical waste????

Thank you so much for this great mission! It was great to return to The Metal Age for an hour! Hot and cold running atmosphere, very immersive.

Loved when the lord flipped on the light switch!

Loved the Dr. Office! There was even a place on the walls to put the patient files by the exam rooms?? It that what that was? And a creepy note note about some malpractice? How did I get that key? Did I eat medical waste????

Thank you for the kind words :) Thief 2 is a huge inspiration on a lot of my missions so that's really cool to see it's influence get noticed.

In the medical office when the player is going through the brain they're actually sorting it. I know a lot of people think they're eating it but I didn't mean for that to happen haha :)

The player is just sitting through it. He is coughing because it's disgusting.

• Like 1

A few graphical issues from 2.06 beta testing :unsure:

1. The doctor's chair turned absolutely black in 2.06, see issue.

2. The face sculpture on the wall (in Lord Vicker's garden) has some issue with lighting (in 2.05 too): when I come close with lantern on, it is still mostly black. Perhaps normals are wrong.

24gouqc.jpg

A few graphical issues from 2.06 beta testing :unsure:

1. The doctor's chair turned absolutely black in 2.06, see issue.

2. The face sculpture on the wall (in Lord Vicker's garden) has some issue with lighting (in 2.05 too): when I come close with lantern on, it is still mostly black. Perhaps normals are wrong.

24gouqc.jpg

1. I tested out just the chair on it's own in 2.06 and it works fine. So there is probably an issue a material file I used that is messing with the texture. I'll have to patch that out.

2. That must be another material file issue, another one I will have to patch out.

Thanks for this!

5 / 6 Secrets

I had to go to this thread to find the missing secret, which I couldn't access without ending the mission. I thought I might be able to drop an objective item so I could go back, but I guess that's not an option. So unless there IS a toggle or something that lets me drop the necklace, for example, I either play the mission over again for completions sake, or just let it be. I choose the latter. Also, shouldn't the secret tally be a part of the stats ?

5 / 6 Secrets

I had to go to this thread to find the missing secret, which I couldn't access without ending the mission. I thought I might be able to drop an objective item so I could go back, but I guess that's not an option. So unless there IS a toggle or something that lets me drop the necklace, for example, I either play the mission over again for completions sake, or just let it be. I choose the latter. Also, shouldn't the secret tally be a part of the stats ?

Good job on finding the secrets! Yes the sewer secret needs to be collected before you complete the other objectives as there is a trigger_once that moves into place over the sewers to end the mission once you're done.

Re: the secret tally, I would love to show them in the stats screen but the dark mod doesn't support that natively at the moment. I'm sure someone talented in the ways of gui scripting could work it out though, would be a nice feature to have!

Re: the secret tally, I would love to show them in the stats screen but the dark mod doesn't support that natively at the moment. I'm sure someone talented in the ways of gui scripting could work it out though, would be a nice feature to have!

Yes, it is definitely missing in the Accountant missions.

On the other hand, all or almost all the other missions do not have anything like "secrets".

I suppose that there were plenty of discussions about [counting secrets] vs [not counting secrets] in TDM, maybe even starting from before the very first public release :mellow:

Perhaps you should revive some old discussion or create a new one (after 2.06 is released). If there is a way which suits well, then it would turn into feature request :D

Yes, it is definitely missing in the Accountant missions.

On the other hand, all or almost all the other missions do not have anything like "secrets".

I suppose that there were plenty of discussions about [counting secrets] vs [not counting secrets] in TDM, maybe even starting from before the very first public release :mellow:

Perhaps you should revive some old discussion or create a new one (after 2.06 is released). If there is a way which suits well, then it would turn into feature request :D

I'm a big fan of secrets. I guess you can get around it by placing it IN the objectives ( find all 6 secrets ).

I'm new at Dark Mod, so this is the first mission I've come across that had them. Instead of criticizing the lack of a Secret Tally at the end though, I should thank Goldwell for injecting them into gameplay in the first place, AND to acknowledge the pop up window that reveals how many there are to find ( you have found 1 of 6 secrets), which Thief 2 never did during gameplay (it told you that you found a secret, but not how many there were).

All of this is minor. This mission in particular ( I loved the electrified floor and the "obvious" solution) and Dark Mod in general is great fun.

I just finished this mission, and it rather left me with a bit mixed feelings, to be honest.

I liked the side jobs, the lighting in the mission was great, and gave a nice atmosphere, and the overall vibe of the mission was quite nice. I also quite liked the beginning, with the sewer part with the spiders, that was very well done. What i did not like about it: Claustrophobic level design, it rather felt like TDS, than Thief 1 or 2, and also made hiding difficult. The mission was too easy IMO, there were only very few guards, which were easily knocked out. I usually find TDM missions to be too difficult, but, this one appeared a bit on the easy side. Only 1 way into the main mansion, i would have hoped for a couple more ways. Also, the design in the mansion felt a bit inconsistent, with most rooms having light, but the dinner room having no light at all, for example. Also no toilets in the whole mansion. Wonder where the staff completed their "business". :D It also seemed a bit weird that there is no way to access the inventor guy's tower, other than a entrance from the roof.

So, overall, i'd rather give it an average rating. Surely not a bad mission, but, i've played better ones already. Not meaning to knock it, just my honest impression of it.

I just finished this mission, and it rather left me with a bit mixed feelings, to be honest.

I liked the side jobs, the lighting in the mission was great, and gave a nice atmosphere, and the overall vibe of the mission was quite nice. I also quite liked the beginning, with the sewer part with the spiders, that was very well done. What i did not like about it: Claustrophobic level design, it rather felt like TDS, than Thief 1 or 2, and also made hiding difficult. The mission was too easy IMO, there were only very few guards, which were easily knocked out. I usually find TDM missions to be too difficult, but, this one appeared a bit on the easy side. Only 1 way into the main mansion, i would have hoped for a couple more ways. Also, the design in the mansion felt a bit inconsistent, with most rooms having light, but the dinner room having no light at all, for example. Also no toilets in the whole mansion. Wonder where the staff completed their "business". :D It also seemed a bit weird that there is no way to access the inventor guy's tower, other than a entrance from the roof.

So, overall, i'd rather give it an average rating. Surely not a bad mission, but, i've played better ones already. Not meaning to knock it, just my honest impression of it.

Concerning the mansion however there are actually two ways in

The first way in is through the window on the side street, the second way in is through a vent system connected through Dr. Waldemar's surgery office.

In regards to the difficulty, my main goal was to keep this a relatively light affair. This part of town is lightly guarded as the guards looking for you were elsewhere so it was relatively simple to slip in and slip out. I thought I did keep a restroom in the home but I must have forgotten about it sorry haha :)

And as for the inventors tower

This is an issue in most of my missions so far, I only ever focussed on linear design and after the fact added in extra routes in. However this has changed for my future projects, like the campaign i'm working on at the moment, the player needs to break into an apartment to investigate something and I have created three different ways to get in along with other pathways around as well. So it's a critique of my work that has been duly noted and hopefully for my future works you're able to enjoy them more.

Thanks for playing and thanks for your feedback!

Concerning the mansion however there are actually two ways in

The first way in is through the window on the side street, the second way in is through a vent system connected through Dr. Waldemar's surgery office.

Right, i forgot the way through the garden... actually, that was the first way i used, because i was in the doctor's surgery before, but, decided to go back, as i wanted to complete the other objectives, before entering the mansion. The second time i entered it was from the water reservoir.

And thanks for listening and replying, even though it's not all positive feedback, it's really not meant in a bad way. :) Looking forward to playing your other missions too!

I just finished this and managed to totally miss the

inventor's tower and the electrified floor

somehow. Went back to try and find them and still can't - are they possible to find after you've completed the main objective?

I just finished this and managed to totally miss the

inventor's tower and the electrified floor

somehow. Went back to try and find them and still can't - are they possible to find after you've completed the main objective?

Yes they are.

There is a window in the apartment blocks on the top floor that leads out to a little roof section, and that is the entry point to the inventor's tower

I suppose that there were plenty of discussions about [counting secrets] vs [not counting secrets] in TDM, maybe even starting from before the very first public release

Actually I don't recall any discussions about this. I don't think we decided NOT to do it...it simply didn't come up.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this up today and have to say I really liked this mission.

I loved your rain soaked community. From the sounds of the rain, the rain pouring out of the downspouts as well as running down window panes, I found it very immersive. And I love secrets, makes me look in every nook and cranny. Even deal with spiders, lol. I found them before the guys started talking and figured with the note (bringing attention to them), there had to be something worthwhile down there.

I ended up finding all the secrets as well as all the loot (personal goal) Took me a min. to figure out the electric floor puzzle. Tried the run and jump but it didn't seem right to get hurt so reloaded and then it dawned on me. I rarely use my sword but glad I had it for this puzzle.

I had one confusing spot when I got up into the tower though. When I picked up the scroll/diagram an "Objective Completed" notice appeared on my screen, however I had no objectives regarding the inventor. Did I miss a readable or was this an objective on expert? Anyways, I went along with it and grabbed the necklace and then on to the sewer to finish.

Thanks for all your hard work, always appreciated!

• Like 1

Finished this up today and have to say I really liked this mission.

I loved your rain soaked community. From the sounds of the rain, the rain pouring out of the downspouts as well as running down window panes, I found it very immersive. And I love secrets, makes me look in every nook and cranny. Even deal with spiders, lol. I found them before the guys started talking and figured with the note (bringing attention to them), there had to be something worthwhile down there.

I ended up finding all the secrets as well as all the loot (personal goal) Took me a min. to figure out the electric floor puzzle. Tried the run and jump but it didn't seem right to get hurt so reloaded and then it dawned on me. I rarely use my sword but glad I had it for this puzzle.

I had one confusing spot when I got up into the tower though. When I picked up the scroll/diagram an "Objective Completed" notice appeared on my screen, however I had no objectives regarding the inventor. Did I miss a readable or was this an objective on expert? Anyways, I went along with it and grabbed the necklace and then on to the sewer to finish.

Thanks for all your hard work, always appreciated!

Re: the inventors tower, that was an objective on expert. It shouldn't have ticked off on the other difficulty but I guess it did so that's why that happened.

I also am a huge fan of rainy missions and love the details and immersion that rain offers. I try and take a lot of care with my ambients and sound effects so it's good to know it has paid off!

Thanks for playing. And thanks for the kind words :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have updated The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs to version 1.1, this update is now live in the ingame menu downloader. The main change is that now it requires 2.06 or newer and I've upgraded the briefing video from ROQ to MP4, there are some minor bug fixes too.

A full list of bug fixes can be found below, but there are some spoilers in there so I recommend only viewing them if you've finished the mission.

Version 1.1 Update List

- Updated briefing video to a higher quality MP4 codec
- Changed the bedroom window leading to the electrical tower to be transparent
- Fixed unbounded brushes
- Fixed texture bug on leather chair in Dr. Waldemar's Office
- Fixed a bug where the spiders would crawl into the loot chest
- Fixed a bug where the player could crawl out of the map
- Fixed z-fighting issues and brush issues
- Fixed floating objects
- Made it easier for the player to get into their apartment vent
- Waldemar's office key now droppable
- Lord Vicker's safe key now droppable