The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs by Goldwell (2017/11/08)

Goldwell

Over two days after finishing I kept thinking of missing something to realize that only today. Looking in threads of previous iteration of FM and it's sequel reveals it to be true.

Is the book that was to be stolen (with consequent disclosure of it's absence observed after ritual in "New in Town") is among the secrets or removed from the FM?

Edited by Boiler's_hiss

Over two days after finishing I kept thinking of missing something to realize that only today. Looking in threads of previous iteration of FM and it's sequel reveals it to be true.

Is the book that was to be stolen (with consequent disclosure of it's absence observed after ritual in "New in Town") is among the secrets or removed from the FM?

Could you rephrase the question please, I dont understand what youre saying.

I recall, there was an objective to obtain a certain book in original Accountant "A Noble Home".

Is that now an optional secret or there is nothing like that at all?

Oh right, no I removed in the redux version.

• 3 months later...

Hi, great mission. Not sure how to do spoiler tags, so I'll just ask this generally:

It appears that I have exhausted every possibility, but cannot find the item that the main quest revolves around, I have well exceeded the loot and found 4/6 secrets, but the main item, which seemingly should be obvious, I cannot find. Is my game bugged, or am I missing something? I have the key that I assume leads to the item, but cannot find where to use it, for the life of me.

Hi, great mission. Not sure how to do spoiler tags, so I'll just ask this generally:

It appears that I have exhausted every possibility, but cannot find the item that the main quest revolves around, I have well exceeded the loot and found 4/6 secrets, but the main item, which seemingly should be obvious, I cannot find. Is my game bugged, or am I missing something? I have the key that I assume leads to the item, but cannot find where to use it, for the life of me.

A general hint... be sure to look up when inside the nobles home

Exact location

Go into the pantry inside the kitchen in the nobles home, look up and shoot the lever up there with an arrow, it will descend a ladder. Go up there and search around for the safe, unlock the safe with the key you found

Hope that helps :)

• 1 year later...

Very cool mission. At times a bit creepy (like the spider place or abandomed house which gave me creeps) but overall I enjoyed it. I was very thorought, so I wonder where I missed ~300 gold. I got 6/6 secrets.

accountant.jpg

Edited by Wenex

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the kind words :)

5 hours ago, Goldwell said:

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the kind words :)

No problem mate. Thank you for being part of the community! And for creating those missions : )

I'm gonna check Accountant 2 now and your other FMs I haven't completed yet. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First mission I played after the two that come with the mod. What can I say, absolutely amazing. Did not expect an animated opening sequence and voice acting. The atmosphere was great and the decoration awesome. Got ~2600 gold, found 5/6 secrets.

Btw, did I understand this correctly:

Spoiler

The Lord is a cannibal? And eating the corpses the doctor butchered in his experiments?

Also, is there any hint why the inventor killed himself?

Edited by blaa
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, blaa said:

First mission I played after the two that come with the mod. What can I say, absolutely amazing. Did not expect an animated opening sequence and voice acting. The atmosphere was great and the decoration awesome. Got ~2600 gold, found 5/6 secrets.

Btw, did I understand this correctly:

Reveal hidden contents

The Lord is a cannibal? And eating the corpses the doctor butchered in his experiments?

Also, is there any hint why the inventor killed himself?

Welcome to the Dark Mod! Glad you had a good time with my mission too :)

The inventor and the lord are open to interpretation but I can give a bit of background how they both came to be.

My idea was that either the lord had killed someone and hid part of their body in his freezer or yes he was a cannibal. There is no connection between him and Dr. Waldemar however.

With regard to the inventor, the feelings I wanted to invoke there was how suicide can sometimes be a mystery. A childhood friend of mine had killed himself and he left no note, there was no indication why he did it, just one day he decided to do it. It left everyone else in his life wondering why the senseless tragedy. With the inventor I wanted to imitate that experience I felt.

But that's just what I personally associate with that scene, some people might put their own story there or some might not put any thought into it at all. I just leave that up to the player to decide.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

In my mind you set it up for the cannibal interpretation cause you connected the experiment room with the lords manor, through the vent shaft. And the human leg next to the piece of meat in the freezer, the same meat that is on the table in the kitchen. Honestly it fits so well together I am surprised it wasn´t your intention. :D

1 hour ago, blaa said:
  Hide contents

In my mind you set it up for the cannibal interpretation cause you connected the experiment room with the lords manor, through the vent shaft. And the human leg next to the piece of meat in the freezer, the same meat that is on the table in the kitchen. Honestly it fits so well together I am surprised it wasn´t your intention. :D

iHxOOyk.png

• Like 3

Just played this mission for the second time for testing purposes and I noticed a couple issues. I'm playing 2.08 beta, not sure if that can affect any of these things.

The first is that on the first playthrough the mission did not end. All the objectives except do not harm/do not kill type were checked, but nothing happened when I climbed into the sewers. The fence was standing on the street outside the sewer entrance. On the second playthrough everything worked as it should.

The other issues were consistent for both playthroughs:

Spoiler

If I understand some tips in this thread correctly, there's supposed to be a voice cue telling the player to shoot the lever that lowers the ladder to the attic. I did not get anything in either playthrough.

For some reason I cannot shoot the spiders in the sewers until they activate and start attacking me after I get quite close to them. If I shoot one with a broadhead as soon as I clearly see him in the mist, the arrows consistently just fly through him and hit the ground under/behind him.  

There's also one spot in the garden, shown on the screenshot, where it's quite easy to get stuck, forcing the player to reload.

Being unable to finish the mission during the first playthrough kinda soured the experience, but other than that this was super well-done, surely one of the best missions I've played so far, especially the graphical fidelity and attention to detail.

ac1_2020-03-28_17.42.55-resize.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vozka said:

Just played this mission for the second time for testing purposes and I noticed a couple issues. I'm playing 2.08 beta, not sure if that can affect any of these things.

The first is that on the first playthrough the mission did not end. All the objectives except do not harm/do not kill type were checked, but nothing happened when I climbed into the sewers. The fence was standing on the street outside the sewer entrance. On the second playthrough everything worked as it should.

The other issues were consistent for both playthroughs:

Reveal hidden contents

If I understand some tips in this thread correctly, there's supposed to be a voice cue telling the player to shoot the lever that lowers the ladder to the attic. I did not get anything in either playthrough.

For some reason I cannot shoot the spiders in the sewers until they activate and start attacking me after I get quite close to them. If I shoot one with a broadhead as soon as I clearly see him in the mist, the arrows consistently just fly through him and hit the ground under/behind him.  

There's also one spot in the garden, shown on the screenshot, where it's quite easy to get stuck, forcing the player to reload.

Being unable to finish the mission during the first playthrough kinda soured the experience, but other than that this was super well-done, surely one of the best missions I've played so far, especially the graphical fidelity and attention to detail.

ac1_2020-03-28_17.42.55-resize.jpg

The vocal line is set to only play on the easier difficulty. The reason is that folks playing on expert don't need or want a voice line pointing out something to them.

With regard to the mission not ending that is concerning, I haven't tested this mission in 2.08 yet, but I will give it a playthrough and try to figure out what happened there. More than likely it's an error i've made as I don't think 2.08 would cause that to break. If I can identify an issue i'll also fix that area where you're stuck as well and upload an updated version.

Thanks for the kind words as well!

19 hours ago, Goldwell said:

The vocal line is set to only play on the easier difficulty. The reason is that folks playing on expert don't need or want a voice line pointing out something to them.

Oh, right, that makes sense. I like having additional objectives and restrictions, but I can be pretty dumb regarding puzzles.

What about the spiders? is that intentional behavior? In the situation on the screenshot below the arrow just goes straight through the spider and breaks on the concrete floor.

Spoiler

ac1_2020-04-03_15_10.43-resize.thumb.jpg.11382fcf61e6cf1b5b313618d64bae28.jpg

2 hours ago, vozka said:

Oh, right, that makes sense. I like having additional objectives and restrictions, but I can be pretty dumb regarding puzzles.

What about the spiders? is that intentional behavior? In the situation on the screenshot below the arrow just goes straight through the spider and breaks on the concrete floor.

Hide contents

ac1_2020-04-03_15_10.43-resize.thumb.jpg.11382fcf61e6cf1b5b313618d64bae28.jpg

That is definitely not meant to happen. Something funky must be happening with their collision boxes to cause it not to register the arrow hitting it.

9 hours ago, vozka said:

Spiders seem to almost always have some quirks to them. Sometimes you can't hit them. In other missions they don't collide with some geometry making them walk sunk into the floor (and also harder to hit). Their ragdolls most of the time go nuts if trying to drag them...
Spiders have always been pretty buggy.

By the way: Open the debug console and enter noclip followed by the return key to activate the fly mode wich is perfect for getting yourself unstuck. Repeat for disabling the fly mode.
Never reload for sticky geometry again.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 2:28 AM, duzenko said:

That is an Epifire asset, I’ll ping him and get him to check it out. If we need to make a change on the map level then I can release an update to address this.

• Like 1

If I'm reading this correctly I think it's just some needless complication I left in the material. As a matter of fact I'm not even sure why it has a local map when it's so tiny to really not need it. I was pretty extra back then but I'm 99% certain this is something off in the MTR. I'll make a note to self and check this when I wake up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo! I loved this mission!

It had a nice compact feel: restricted enough to give keep the player from becoming lost, but without being too linear either. The patrol path and shadow placements in Lord Vicker's house were the highlight for me. This mission reminded me a little bit of the marketplace mission in T2X, if you ever played that.

If you ever find yourself needing or wanting to update the mission, here are a few little oddities I noticed.

Spoiler
  •  I can confirm that the spiders are not killable with arrows. The arrows just pass through them
  • Z fighting in Lord Vicker's house, going down the stairs on  the left side of the frame on the ground floor. Easiest to see if you have your lantern on.
  • The dead guy in the electricity tower- if you hit his rope with your sword it swings away leaving him hanging in midair with no visible means of support. I wouldn't even bring it up, except that most people going up there will be in a rope slashing mood from the puzzle on the floor below

9 squishy brains out of 10.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...