The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Volta II - Cauldron of the Gods by Kingsal (11/30/17) V2.2

kingsal

Amazing mission! I'm almost done, but ran into a possible bug.

I have Bellero, brought him up the elevator to the City door, but the objective won't trigger

Hey Azaran, I sent you a PM with a suggestion.

If anyone else has a problem completing the very last step of the mission:

If the mission end doesn't trigger when carrying Bellero back to the City.

First try this:

Try dropping Bellero on the elevator floor and going up with him. If that doesn't work go back down and try carrying him over your shoulder as the elevator goes up.

If that fails:

Unfortunately, the only way to complete the mission is to take him back to where you first encountered the two talking beasts to the west. (You'll have to swim back to the water fall room and keep climbing up. The mission will end as your ascending back towards where you found the dead client.

Or:

You can open the console (ctrl+alt+`) and type tdm_end_mission and press enter to complete the mission.

Terribly sorry if this happens to you. I'll have a fix for it in the next update..

• Like 1

I just started playing this mission, and it's awesome! However, I think I've run into two bugs.

- Vine arrows don't seem to work for me. I can shoot them, and if they hit a valid surface, they create green patches of plant growth... but there's no vine hanging down! Just to make sure I'm trying with the correct surface, I've also tried it on wood which works for normal rope arrows, but still nothing. This is with the recentmost version of TDM.

- In the city area at the beginning, I got a [spoil]hand from a secret location, where I also got a fire arrow.[/spoil] Now I'm down underground, and I no longer seem to have the item in my inventory. I don't know when exactly it happened, but now I can cycle all the way through with [ and ], and it's just not there any more.

I'm utterly absorbed in Pathologic HD these days, and I only peruse one game at a time... but will get to Volta 2 eventually.

Could this be the best TDM mission ever? It sounds like it could be. The first one was great... pretty much a top 5 mission, at least.

Edited by CarltonTroisi
  • Like 1

Hi Kingsal,

Awesome fan mission! The first Volta was one of my favorites and this one completely lived up to my expectations. High quality work, well done.

Two things, if I may...

Is there really a pearl as big as your head in the section with the spiders down below, after you find the scroll mentioning it? I've searched and searched, and it's driving me nuts.

And in that same area...

The statue wants you to bring an "offering of a strangled priest," but the offering you place there is from a poisoned priest. That needs a fix.

Edited by Kerry000

Hey Kerry- thanks for checking out the mission!

In answer to your questions:

The reference to the stone is probably a little too misleading. That bit refers to "the" stone or stone(s) similar to the one you stole from volta. However there is a secret down there along with the talking statue- which ive fixed in an update to reference the correct remains.

Edited by kingsal

Did you mean to get the player stuck if they fell in the water when first entering the sewers? I'm stuck against a grate and can't get back, and grate can't open.

volta2stuck.jpg

No. Ive never seen anyone get stuck there. You have to no clip out.

I've played this three times now, and while I like it a lot, I think it's too easy to miss a lot of content. The first time I played this, I finished the entire mission almost at a speed run by accident, going through the ancient door and missing almost everything between the temple and the portal. The second time I explored more, but still managed to miss the entire area with the third statue - I only realized I had missed an entire area when reading about the third statue on this forum.

• Like 1

I've played this three times now, and while I like it a lot, I think it's too easy to miss a lot of content. The first time I played this, I finished the entire mission almost at a speed run by accident, going through the ancient door and missing almost everything between the temple and the portal. The second time I explored more, but still managed to miss the entire area with the third statue - I only realized I had missed an entire area when reading about the third statue on this forum.

I think this is a good thing and perhaps the strongest point of the mission as the mission itself begs replayability. I also missed tons of content in my first run and though there was only one statue. It gives many excuses to play again and should be replicated by others.

• Like 2

True that, but if I had just played the mission as I first played it, without later reading about it on the forums, I would probably have not even realized I had missed a lot of content - I would've been satisfied by my accidental speed run for the duration, since the mission felt quite satisfactory even then. Some readables that would've encouraged more detailed exploration - or optional objectives - would've made it clearer that I hadn't seen all there was, and would've encouraged either replay or more thorough exploration on the first play. Replayability is also encouraged by the way there are many different routes through the map - I think there are probably only two choke points with only one route through it, so even if I had seen every area during the first run, I would (and will) replay the mission again just to try different approaches.

Edited by Thieving Barbarian
  • Like 1

Just beat it!
By the builder what a pleasant surprise this was!
All the new content added to the Dark Mod in this mission alone!
Took me several hours and I did get lost every once in a while but I was able to beat it with the minimum required loot.
with out a doubt, going to have to revisit this one in the future.

• Like 2

Awesome, a new level :D Congrats on the release, I'm going to go play it now. :D

[Edit]

Wow what a great throw back to the old Thief level. The woodsie elves are just amazing. Still working through it, but loving it. :)

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I finished the mission the other night, and I can definitely second that you were able to stylistically stay -very- true to the latter half of The Dark Project, to a degree I've never seen before in an FM. It was like the Maw of Chaos, the Lost City and Strange Bedfellows had a baby in TDM! This is however a double edged sword, going too far into Thief territory naturally takes you further away from TDM territory. Making a mission of this size does mean that detail naturally has to take a hit, which is otherwise one of my favorite things about TDM. That being said most parts of the map did feel organic and "lived in" which is no small feat!

• Like 3

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

I'm utterly absorbed in Pathologic HD these days...

A man after my own heart.

Edited by Kukutoo

I have a problem with it. I found Bellero, went up the elevator but there's nowhere to go up there. Is there an objective trigger there? It didn't

fire. Atm, I'm trying to find a way back to the surface with him since the elevator seems bugged. Love the mission, just love the creatures

so nostalgic. :D

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

took a while to update to 2.05, but finally got it today. Love the new atmosphere.!

So, the armory key, in the northern section of the Cauldron, where can I find that?

Umm, how do I "spoil" my questions here? ttlg had a button for that...

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.