The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Volta II - Cauldron of the Gods by Kingsal (11/30/17) V2.2

kingsal

FYI- I have asked the team for some help with the clipping issues over in the beta thread. Please let me know if you have clipping problems. It also might be helpful to know what kind of hardware you are using (low/mid/high) and what version of TDM you are in.

Thanks!

• Like 1

There seems to be something fishy going on here. Maybe something has changed in 2.06?

Very credible and likely concern.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

And I played your beta with multiple iterations of 2.06 Beta. I was also playing with SVN Trunk, and never got stuck. I did have some performance issues in the huge open area, but it was worth it. Super awesome mission.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yes, i only too had that problem here.

it must be extreme heavy, like gravity change, or physics update.

Different collision matrix or movement update.

You guys do realize this has something todo with the ropes glitching out right? 2.06 invented all kinds of new bugs.

• Like 1

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

Yes, i only too had that problem here.

it must be extreme heavy, like gravity change, or physics update.

Different collision matrix or movement update.

You guys do realize this has something todo with the ropes glitching out right? 2.06 invented all kinds of new bugs.

I got stuck a lot in the Cauldron and maybe the rope arrows wiggle a lot around more than in 2.05 before getting climbable (but not sure about that) - but they did not glitch to the point where they would not become climbable in my countless hours of playing the 2.06 beta (i had to reduce my TDM time a lot before 2.06 became stable though).

I got stuck a lot in the Cauldron and maybe the rope arrows wiggle a lot around more than in 2.05 before getting climbable (but not sure about that) - but they did not glitch to the point where they would not become climbable in my countless hours of playing the 2.06 beta (i had to reduce my TDM time a lot before 2.06 became stable though).

I looked into this and it seems there was some error made when saving out ragdoll locations when I built the map. It appears the engine also saved out these properties to the ropes. Not sure why this is only showing up in 2.06. Regardless, It's been fixed :)

• Like 1

I looked into this and it seems there was some error made when saving out ragdoll locations when I built the map. It appears the engine also saved out these properties to the ropes. Not sure why this is only showing up in 2.06. Regardless, It's been fixed :)

Ragdoll positions? I did not notice bodies lying around. Did i miss something?

Ragdoll positions? I did not notice bodies lying around. Did i miss something?

Ah sorry I thought you were talking about the environmental ropes. I actually found a bug with those. Not sure about whats happening with rope arrows in 2.06 though.

• Like 1

Ah sorry I thought you were talking about the environmental ropes. I actually found a bug with those. Not sure about whats happening with rope arrows in 2.06 though.

Luckily i experienced no bugs with any ropes yet.

Rope arrows work fine - i just got the impression that they wiggle around a bit longer and more erratic before comming to rest and becomming climbable in 2.06. But i am not sure about that anymore - could also be that i just see more frames of the unfolding process of rope arrows now than in 2.05...

The rope when climbed starts to freak out in all kinds of directions. At that point its partly unusable and it can throw the player into the wall.

I tried to make a screenie of that but had no save for that randomly available. And the mandrasola mission just glitched out heavily.

• Like 1

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

And the mandrasola mission just glitched out heavily.

When talking about bugs that should get looked at and fixed, it is INCREDIBLY useless to say "glitched out heavily". WTF does that even mean? Did it crash? Did the snow turn into zombies? Did an AI fall through the world? Are scripts not working? Is it a graphical bug? Was your screen black or flashing? Did you touch a physics object like a bottle and it killed you?

Please be specific when talking about bugs.

• Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

When talking about bugs that should get looked at and fixed, it is INCREDIBLY useless to say "glitched out heavily". WTF does that even mean? Did it crash? Did the snow turn into zombies? Did an AI fall through the world? Are scripts not working? Is it a graphical bug? Was your screen black or flashing? Did you touch a physics object like a bottle and it killed you?

Please be specific when talking about bugs.

Ah yes, all of those things. Lets get this logged and tracked once we know more.

Filizitas - Since this is a mod bug and not related to Cauldron. Go ahead and start a thread over in TDM Tech Support so these guys can track it and get it fixed. Provide some screenshots or even videos if you can.

In regards to post #158. When I went to look at the env_ropes in my mission, they weren't showing up in the editor. (Using DR 2.6 x64 and TDM 2.6 x64). It looks like when I saved out my ragdoll positions in the engine it also saved out the bone locations of ropes? Not sure if this was part of the reason why they weren't showing up.(map was built in 2.05) I'll test this out and start a new thread in Tech support.

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I enjoy this mission but I've run into a few glitches. One was a rope arrow that I put into cross beams that were above an obelisk vanished when I was climbing back down when I jumped off or got too low.

Second and this is extremely frustrating is when I move anywhere, randomly I get stuck in a spot and can't move from it. This can happen anywhere and I'm constantly reloading. Any advice?

I have to say I enjoy this mission but I've run into a few glitches. One was a rope arrow that I put into cross beams that were above an obelisk vanished when I was climbing back down when I jumped off or got too low.

Second and this is extremely frustrating is when I move anywhere, randomly I get stuck in a spot and can't move from it. This can happen anywhere and I'm constantly reloading. Any advice?

Hmm the rope arrow bug has happened to a few people. I will look into this.

Yeah, lots of people have been getting stuck in this mission (especially since 2.06). I have fixed the problem and will have and updated version out soon!

The next update is version 2.0 so it will have a ton of fixes:

- Fix for getting stuck

- Overall better lighting and readability

- Balancing tweaks

- Slightly better performance in certain areas.

- High res intro video

- Lots of other minor stuff.

So if you can wait, its worth it. Unfortunately, the update wont work with your saves sadly.

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 4

Spamming the mantle key gets you unstuck in most situations. When it doesn't work, type "noclip" in the debug console to make your avatar non-solid, move a bit away and type "noclip" into the console again to make your avatar solid again.

• 3 weeks later...

Cauldron V2 beta is ready with a lots of fixes and changes!

If you are interesting in testing the new version head over here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19572-cauldron-v2-beta/?do=findComment&comment=425344

Please PM if you need access.

Thanks!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Did you add new surface sounds? I see a noticeable hiccup when I step on a surface like that.

Which surface are you talking about? I don't think any surface sounds changed, but I could have made a mistake somewhere.