Fan Mission: Volta II - Cauldron of the Gods by Kingsal (11/30/17) V2.2

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone! I'm excited to bring you Cauldron of the Gods, the second mission in the Volta series. This mission is large, so I'd expect anywhere from 1.5 - 2+ hours depending on your play sty

I rarely post in this forum, but i just wanted to say what a wonderful time I had playing this mission.   Hours of exploring up and down, left and right, over and under and I still only found 2 secr

Hello everyone-   After lots of bug fixes, tweaks, and polishing, Cauldron 2.0 is here! This is a pretty significant improvement from earlier versions so if you never got a chance to play it or had

Posted Images

I just finished it and i must say that this is an amazing mod. The mod transpires professionalism. audio, music, attention to detail on building the environment. It was a pleasure playing it. The only thing that makes me sad is that since 2017 we don't have another Volta mission.

• Like 3

@michael_a @wesp5 Glad you dug the mission!

@Hugo Lobo I'm stoked you liked the mission. Volta 3 and 4 are on the way, just need to find the time to wrap them up.  I'll definitely keep you posted!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/1/2017 at 2:34 AM, kingsal said:

Version 2.2 (requires 2.08)

Available in the in-game downloader or HERE

Link points to 2.1 ?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Some feedback for Volta 1 and 2

Spoiler

As many others have said, both missions (especially the second one) are top-notch, commercial quality, professional-grade game. Both feature lots of custom assets. The second one is unprecedented in terms of artistic splendor. Only praise deserved overall, so I will be short and focus on things I felt were lacking.

Please take this as my personal opinion. Feel free to discard any points you don't agree. I don't usually post on older missions, but seemingly the two new parts are coming soon and I kinda share the general public agitation of those.

I played with notarget and cheat codes, as I always do on first run, as well as forced bright ambient.

In both missions I had the same problem, as in many of Biker's big missions: I got lost too easily. Evidently I must be lacking the focus and perception that missions like this require of player.

Volta 1. The circular mansion layout was the least confusing, but still. The corridors and pathways appear generic and oftentimes I had a hard time to choose which door to take and which side to go on a junction, even though I'd been there a number of times already.

Volta 2. The underground maze is the best Multiple Sclerosis simulator ever done in TDM. Most of the time I had absolutely no idea where I was and, even worse, where I want to be, not mentioning how I can get there. I've had my maps but even those were little help.

Loot-wise, I kinda understand the concept of rewarding the player for exploring the hard-to-get spots, but considering the size of the mission and especially the plot and objectives, do you really expect the player to pixel-hunt the entire premises? In general the loot distribution felt a little unnatural, as if someone (who?) had already looted the underground many times, leaving out only the most obscure places.

Gameplay-wise, it felt the least of the rescue-and-extract mission but if any, to settle and live there forever type, which, again, was confusing because of unrealized expectations.

The most frustrating part was that rare adventure excitement mood that the mission was putting me into in the beginning, that turned into "how do I end this thing?"

• Like 1

@duzenko Thank for the feedback. I recognize that both mission, especially Cauldron,  are probably too big and lack a certain focus. This is something I'm working on for future missions.  For the campaign Im reworking volta 1 and 2 to be leaner and  hopefully meaner.

Also I would recommend playing the missions without cheats if you can, they werent really intended to be played that way :(.

• Like 1