The Dark Mod Forums

TDM ModDB Mod of the Year

lowenz

Why are the winners here and in the top 10 always boring Half Life/Doom I/II mods? The Star Wars mods might be nice because the vanilla games are very solid - both Empire at War and Battlefront II, fair enough. But the winners this year are really bland. If not even Clan Quest Mod 4 made it for Bloodlines than It seems the community is way too action oriented. Except a couple strategy games that is. Most bland year for the moddb contest as far as I can remember.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

If not even Clan Quest Mod 4 made it for Bloodlines than It seems the community is way too action oriented.

Fast-paced action has the biggest player base. So i would expect all top-lists wich allow that genre group to be highly biased towards faced-paced action.

Because of the huge audience group size differences, TDM simply has no chance to score a hit in a competition that is open for more action-oriented genres too.

• 11 months later...
On 12/1/2018 at 2:17 AM, lowenz said:

2018 turn ;)

2019!

https://www.moddb.com/groups/2019-mod-of-the-year-awards

->

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 2

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 5 weeks later...

Btw, does the team contact people on the Moddb page when they have questions/bugs?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/#7528499

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, lowenz said:

2020 Voting Time on ModDB 😮

Please vote and we'll steal some award this year too 😛

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

It is good that TDM is one of the highest rated mods. We, intellectuals (lol) must translate those reviews into all time popularity of the mod. Somehow to spread the word that TDM is more streamlined and more accessible than the Thief trilogy. Maybe TDM is even easier to play than Thief 4. TDM is not this niche for the PC master race. I never played Thief 4. The eye candy in Thief 4 is all swell. But, at a glance it's not as inviting as Dishonored. Even the combat in Thief 4 seems more sluggish than in Dishonored. If someone's reading this, correct me if I'm wrong please.
By comparison - TDM is full of options. It's weakness is melee combat. The rope arrow may be a nostalgic gimmick. But there are plenty of other customization options nonetheless.

https://www.moddb.com/mods?sort=rating-desc

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

53 minutes ago, Anderson said:

It is good that TDM is one of the highest rated mods. We, intellectuals (lol) must translate those reviews into all time popularity of the mod. Somehow to spread the word that TDM is more streamlined and more accessible than the Thief trilogy. Maybe TDM is even easier to play than Thief 4. TDM is not this niche for the PC master race. I never played Thief 4. The eye candy in Thief 4 is all swell. But, at a glance it's not as inviting as Dishonored. Even the combat in Thief 4 seems more sluggish than in Dishonored. If someone's reading this, correct me if I'm wrong please.
By comparison - TDM is full of options. It's weakness is melee combat. The rope arrow may be a nostalgic gimmick. But there are plenty of other customization options nonetheless.

https://www.moddb.com/mods?sort=rating-desc

You're totally correct.

Thi4f ( :v ) is a.....not-so-bad-but-not-memorable take on T2 "vision".

It has its moments. Moments.

Narration is very bad and it ruins a story that maybe could otherwise be enjoyable.

Setting is graphically really good (Thief 2014 customized engine is the APEX of UE3 tech) but it doesn't feel alive and consistent (intro apart).

Same problem of BioShock Infinite I could say.....

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

7 hours ago, Anderson said:

It is good that TDM is one of the highest rated mods. We, intellectuals (lol) must translate those reviews into all time popularity of the mod. Somehow to spread the word that TDM is more streamlined and more accessible than the Thief trilogy. Maybe TDM is even easier to play than Thief 4. TDM is not this niche for the PC master race.

TBH, being on moddb, and getting recognition there is totally niche. If you want more players, then that is definitely not the way.

If melee combat is our weakest point, I'll take it. It's functional and not obviously broken, and for our typical gameplay or plots, it does the job just fine. I mean it's not meant as a fighting game, and the most memorable fights are usually for story reasons or, e.g., if you're boxed in and have to fight your way out, where you remember the fact you fought the guy at all more than the mechanics of the actual fight. And on those grounds, what we have works well for the game. It's focused on a boiled-down big picture than memorizing little details.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

9 hours ago, chakkman said:

TBH, being on moddb, and getting recognition there is totally niche. If you want more players, then that is definitely not the way.

Speaking of that, why isn't TDM on NexusMods too? You even get some virtual currency for each download there...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, demagogue said:

If melee combat is our weakest point, I'll take it. It's functional and not obviously broken, and for our typical gameplay or plots, it does the job just fine.

The biggest issue for me is the blackjacking. It's just totally unforgiving, and, I'm sure that puts a lot of people off.

Apart from that, I don't have an issue with melee combat. As you say, it does the job for the most part. But, that friggin' blackjacking... I wished it was more like in the original Thief's. Especially as a casual player who plays the mod every half a year or something, it's very frustrating to miss 40% off knockouts, just because the game hassuch a weird hitbox system.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 2

Isn't there an option in the settings to make the blackjacking more forgiving? I don't have that much trouble with it since in the end it's just muscle memory, or the eye-hand coordination analog of that.

• Thanks 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

3 hours ago, chakkman said:

The biggest issue for me is the blackjacking. It's just totally unforgiving, and, I'm sure that puts a lot of people off.

Have you tried my Unofficial Patch already? I removed the immunity of blackjacking which in my opinion is it's main problem. Now if the first hit doesn't connect, you have more chances until the guard has his weapon actually drawn and in position.

• Like 2

Yes. It's basically a small collection of features that are not (yet) included in the main game. Like more exstinguishable light sources, the stealth statistic scroll and just lately an electric stun mine as two flash items are one too many in my opinion ;).

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

I admit, I instinctively quicksave before almost every blackjack (unless I'm blackjacking civilians for some reason). The sweet spot for a blackjack seems so precise that it feels unfair if it doesn't work. I get that NPCs with more armor will have a smaller hitbox for a blackjack and that some guards have full helmets are deliberately non-blackjack-able (but not non-gas arrow... able), but if it feels unfair to fail a blackjack rather than just lacking skill, then I'll insure myself with quicksaves. Doesn't really bother me and I'm not really willing to bash (heh) the game over it. Who knows, maybe it's actually predictable to a true veteran and it's just all about skill.

As for the ModDB awards, I'll vote. I'm quite appreciative that ModDB is still around - I know the Steam Workshop and Nexus Mods are popular places but I have a long history of getting a ton of quality mods and maps for so many games from ModDB. Plus the downloads can be acquired and used independent of Steam and don't require a login to download. I get it, it's niche. But there are benefits to the "old ways" and it befits my age.

• Like 3

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

2 hours ago, Araneidae said:

Can the features of the Unofficial Patch be turned off if I discover I don't want some of them?  Think I fancy the sound of the stealth statistic scroll, but not really the rest, and I don't want to have to reinstall right now!

If you only want the stealth stat scroll, I took it from some thread here so you might be able to get it from there. Otherwise take a look at the def and script files of the Unofficial Patch and delete everything that you don't want. The names should be obvious, otherwise ask me again here.

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the Editor's Choice mods will be available in 16 hours and the Players' Choice will be available in 5 days and 16 hours. May The Dark Mod win something.

https://www.moddb.com/groups/2020-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-mod-of-the-year-2020
https://www.moddb.com/groups/2020-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/editors-choice-mod-of-the-year-2020

The coolest mods from the Editor's Choice this year were Portal: Reloaded where you are given a 3'rd portal to solve puzzles. The mod is TBA scheduled for release in April next year according to Steam atm. https://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-reloaded

The second nice mod seems to be "Farewell of the White Wolf" mod for Witcher 2. I honestly forgot about Redkit. Still glad a proper mod finally came out for that game. If I have some time and I'll clean my backlog, I'd really love to try it out. Does anyone know how good it is? https://www.moddb.com/mods/farewell-of-the-white-wolf

Player'choice was totally lame this year, except some of the strategy games, Project Reality, Stalker, maybe.

https://www.moddb.com/groups/2020-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-mod-of-the-year-2020

Edited by Anderson
News.

badge?user=andarson